nforce2, acpi, interrupts - not playing nice...

nforce2, acpi, interrupts - not playing nice...

Post by David Mors » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:46:30



I'm having trouble getting nforce2 alsa sound working, and for that
matter I can't make the only USB device I've tried (a mouse) work
either.  Asking around on the alsa list, they say its a problem with
acpi not getting interrupts properly, and that I should ask what to do
about it here.  Any ideas?

cat /proc/interrupts ======================================
            CPU0
   0:     218331          XT-PIC  timer
   1:        892          XT-PIC  keyboard
   2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
   5:     180458          XT-PIC  eth0, nvidia
   8:          3          XT-PIC  rtc
   9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi   <===============!!!
  10:       1089          XT-PIC  eth1
  11:          0          XT-PIC  NVidia nForce2
  12:      75061          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
  14:      16235          XT-PIC  ide0
  15:         71          XT-PIC  ide1
NMI:          0
ERR:          2

 
 
 

nforce2, acpi, interrupts - not playing nice...

Post by baskitcais » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 07:32:05



> I'm having trouble getting nforce2 alsa sound working, and for that
> matter I can't make the only USB device I've tried (a mouse) work
> either.  Asking around on the alsa list, they say its a problem with
> acpi not getting interrupts properly, and that I should ask what to do
> about it here.  Any ideas?

> cat /proc/interrupts ======================================
>             CPU0
>    0:     218331          XT-PIC  timer
>    1:        892          XT-PIC  keyboard
>    2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
>    5:     180458          XT-PIC  eth0, nvidia
>    8:          3          XT-PIC  rtc
>    9:          0          XT-PIC  acpi   <===============!!!
>   10:       1089          XT-PIC  eth1
>   11:          0          XT-PIC  NVidia nForce2
>   12:      75061          XT-PIC  PS/2 Mouse
>   14:      16235          XT-PIC  ide0
>   15:         71          XT-PIC  ide1
> NMI:          0
> ERR:          2

If you are dual booting then I would disable the ACPI at boot by passing the
acpi=off on the grub/lilo screen and if it works then add this to your boot
params.

Works for me.

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
N.Wales, UK.
Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

 
 
 

nforce2, acpi, interrupts - not playing nice...

Post by David Mors » Tue, 23 Sep 2003 08:33:07



> If you are dual booting then I would disable the ACPI at boot by passing the
> acpi=off on the grub/lilo screen and if it works then add this to your boot
> params.

> Works for me.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Doesn't do the trick for me.  Do you have
APIC enabled in your bios?
 
 
 

nforce2, acpi, interrupts - not playing nice...

Post by baskitcais » Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:45:17




>> If you are dual booting then I would disable the ACPI at boot by passing
>> the acpi=off on the grub/lilo screen and if it works then add this to your
>> boot params.

>> Works for me.

> Thanks for the suggestion.  Doesn't do the trick for me.  Do you have
> APIC enabled in your bios?

Yep APIC is enabled also ACPI but that is there if I ever boot to win2k, I use
the acpi=off for Suse

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
N.Wales, UK.
Email is spam trap try baskitcaise at gmx dot co dot uk

 
 
 

1. Abit KV7 ACPI: Unable to set IRQ for PCI Interrupt Link [ALKD] (likely buggy ACPI BIOS)

Anybody here who is working with abit KV7? - Mine has trouble with
2.4.26 (Suse 8.2). I get the following messages while booting:

[...]
IRQ19 -> 0:19
IRQ21 -> 0:21
IRQ22 -> 0:22
.................................... done.
ACPI: Unable to set IRQ for PCI Interrupt Link [ALKD] (likely buggy ACPI
BIOS).
Aborting ACPI-based IRQ routing. Try pci=noacpi or acpi=off
  - die gleiche Meldung dann ca 10 Male -
[...]

Sound doesn't work. Any other hardware seems to work (USB, 2nd
parport-card, etc). Mainboard works quite fast with Barton 2500.

The onboard-Sound:
00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233 AC97
Audio Controller
(rev 60)
         Subsystem: ABIT Computer Corp.: Unknown device 1408
         Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 22
         I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
         Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

With google I don't find much. "ACPI: Unable ....[ALKD]" - a german
thread "KT400A: Acpi-Bios oder Kernel buggy?" concerning the same KT 600
  Chipset but on a Epox EP-8K9A9+  mainboard. The thread is quite old
(one year) an I think that some bugs in 2.4.21 will be corrected in my
2.4.26, isn't?

I don't want to turn off ACPI! I want to use ACPI for e.g. current
saving during night. I need a low cost mainboard for next one or two
dozent mainboards for office PC's.

Is ACPI of KV7 BIOS buggy? shall I update BIOS? A problem of 2.4.26?
Solved with 2.6.X?

tia
Ekkard

2. NFS

3. New: ACPI interrupt storm when ACPI operates in IO-APIC-level mode

4. in.rarpd (Solaris 2.2) does not answer diskless client

5. Nice. Nice nice nice.

6. Patches for OI for libc 2.5.x and g++ 4.5.8

7. ipchains and tcp-wrappers not playing nice?

8. Linux, Netware, ISDN

9. samba and diald not playing nice

10. Win95 is not playing nice with my harddisk.

11. HELP -> RH 6.2, Adaptec 2940UW, and CMD CRD-5500 not playing nice..

12. Alpha not playing nice with network

13. kupdated not playing nice on XFS