Adaptec 1542B IO setup

Post by Landon Humphre » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I have an adpatec 1542B controller being used for a Python Dat tape drive.
It works fine under windows at 0x230.

RedHat 6.0 does not see the card. I tried parsing parameters of
aha1542=0x230,11,4,5.
thus no effect.

I changed to Io to 0x334 and it works but I need it to be 0x230 so it will
and can exist under windows as well.

How do I fix this or how step bystep to rebuild modules etc.

I have edited the aha15542.c file to reflect 0x230, 0x234 but I do not
know what to do from this point.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Landon H.

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

Adaptec 1542B IO setup

Post by Gene Hesket » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Unrot13 this;

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to Landon Humphrey;

 LH> I have an adpatec 1542B controller being used for a Python Dat
 LH> tape drive. It works fine under windows at 0x230.

 LH> RedHat 6.0 does not see the card. I tried parsing parameters of
 LH> aha1542=0x230,11,4,5.
 LH> thus no effect.

Oh, you've noticed?  So did I. In the kernel sources,
drivers/scsi/aha1542.c, change the default addresses from 0x330-0x334 to
0x230-0x234 and recompile.

End of problem.  I do it to each new release of the kernel since
2.0.34.

I have no idea why the defaults were so set by Donald Becker, but it
seems that 0x330 is a dead address, even when it is not otherwise in
use, on at least half the systems.  Can anyone explain this?

 LH> I changed to Io to 0x334 and it works but I need it to be 0x230
 LH> so it will  and can exist under windows as well.

 LH> How do I fix this or how step bystep to rebuild modules etc.

 LH> I have edited the aha1542.c file to reflect 0x230, 0x234 but I
 LH> do not  know what to do from this point.

 LH> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Make dep
Make bzImage
cp arch/i386/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.x.x-1 <your version here
make modules
make modules_install

edit lilo.conf to add the new kernel, but do not replace the old
bootfiles just yet.

Give the new kernel an odd name so that you can when it says lilo boot:
give it the name of the new file to see if it will boot.  Once it boots,
then you could make it the default image in lilo.conf.

Don't forget to rerun 'lilo -v' anytime you make a change to lilo.conf.
And I probably left something out, my apologies in advance.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040 50 megs fast/2 megs chip

                               |Buddha + 4 gig WDC drive, 525 meg tape
                               |Stylus Pro, EnPrint, Picasso-II, 17" vga
         RC5-Moo! 690kkeys/sec isn't much, but it all helps
email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net
--

1. Adaptec 1542B & > 16mb

I've read the FAQ, but I can't seem to find anything about Adaptec 1542B
HA's and memory sizes greater than 16mb on the ISA bus.  Is this a problem
with the pl12 kernel, or has this been addressed?  If this is possible,
how much of a performance hit do you take with the double-buffering for
processes in the 16-32mb range?

2. traceroute not responding

3. Is Adaptec 1542B supported in FreeBSD?

4. Mouse Eraser

5. Problems with Adaptec 1542B

6. Oops at find_buffer (all processes)

7. Adaptec 1542B woes

8. ghostscript 3.51

9. Problems with Adaptec 1542b SCSI & Sony SDT-5000 DDS2 DAT

10. Adaptec 1542b scsi controller plus bernoulli disk causes crashes

11. Adaptec 1542B hangs Linux

12. Adaptec 1542B SCSI-2 Problem

13. Adaptec 1542B - Unable to determine DMA priority