X, AGP Viper330, Deawoo 17" Monitor. HELP!!!

X, AGP Viper330, Deawoo 17" Monitor. HELP!!!

Post by Richard Joseph & Maite Casa » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Can anyone help me correctly configure my AGP Diamond Viper 330 4Mb
(RIVA 128) under Redhat 5.1.

My X fvrm server opens ok, but I get a large virtual desktop and my
screen seems to be at 640*480 in 16/256 colours. How can I rectify this.
I started Xf86Configurator but I was worried when it started to ask for
info other than that of my screen setup. Please help as I am really
hoping to use X in something like 1024*768 or higher. I have a Daewoo
1707B 17" monitor.

X, AGP Viper330, Deawoo 17" Monitor. HELP!!!

Post by Ignac » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

On Mon, 03 Aug 1998 22:39:23 +0100, Richard Joseph & Maite Casas

>Can anyone help me correctly configure my AGP Diamond Viper 330 4Mb
>(RIVA 128) under Redhat 5.1.

>My X fvrm server opens ok, but I get a large virtual desktop and my
>screen seems to be at 640*480 in 16/256 colours. How can I rectify this.
>I started Xf86Configurator but I was worried when it started to ask for
>info other than that of my screen setup. Please help as I am really
>hoping to use X in something like 1024*768 or higher. I have a Daewoo
>1707B 17" monitor.

Try Ctrl-Meta(Alt)-"+" and Ctrl-Meta-"-".

X, AGP Viper330, Deawoo 17" Monitor. HELP!!!

Post by maDOn » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Can anyone help me correctly configure my AGP Diamond Viper 330 4Mb
> (RIVA 128) under Redhat 5.1.

> My X fvrm server opens ok, but I get a large virtual desktop and my
> screen seems to be at 640*480 in 16/256 colours. How can I rectify this.
> I started Xf86Configurator but I was worried when it started to ask for
> info other than that of my screen setup. Please help as I am really
> hoping to use X in something like 1024*768 or higher. I have a Daewoo
> 1707B 17" monitor.

Since the Ricva128 is not supported until version 3.2.2 of xfree86 (the
latest version) you only can youse the VGA16 server under x.
To change your resolution, edit the XF86Config file (in /etc) and look for
"Section Screen / VGA16" entry.
Change the resolution to 800x600 (or what ever you want) and change the
"virtual" entry to the same res.
Then add the line (under res) VideoRam 4096.

If you want more colors download the latest xfree86 version. The new SVGA
server supports the Riva128.
Or just try to download only the NEW SVGA server, copy it to the directory
where the other servers (ie XF86_VGA16) are and overwrite
the old SVGA server with the new one.
Then type xf86config again, setup your monitor and select the SVGA server
as standart (or edit the symbolic link made by the prog by hand).

Then you will have more colors and better acceleration within X.

Mail me if you need further assistance

Bye

Post by velocit » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> > Can anyone help me correctly configure my AGP Diamond Viper 330 4Mb
> > (RIVA 128) under Redhat 5.1.

> > My X fvrm server opens ok, but I get a large virtual desktop and my
> > screen seems to be at 640*480 in 16/256 colours. How can I rectify this.
> > I started Xf86Configurator but I was worried when it started to ask for
> > info other than that of my screen setup. Please help as I am really
> > hoping to use X in something like 1024*768 or higher. I have a Daewoo
> > 1707B 17" monitor.

> Since the Ricva128 is not supported until version 3.2.2 of xfree86 (the
> latest version) you only can youse the VGA16 server under x.
> To change your resolution, edit the XF86Config file (in /etc) and look for
> "Section Screen / VGA16" entry.
> Change the resolution to 800x600 (or what ever you want) and change the
> "virtual" entry to the same res.
> Then add the line (under res) VideoRam 4096.

> If you want more colors download the latest xfree86 version. The new SVGA
> server supports the Riva128.
> Or just try to download only the NEW SVGA server, copy it to the directory
> where the other servers (ie XF86_VGA16) are and overwrite
> the old SVGA server with the new one.
> Then type xf86config again, setup your monitor and select the SVGA server
> as standart (or edit the symbolic link made by the prog by hand).

> Then you will have more colors and better acceleration within X.

> Mail me if you need further assistance

> Bye

  The  Xfree windowing system that ships with RH 5.1 supports the Viper 330
in the SVGA server. Fire up Xconfigurator and just provide the right details
for it.
   You will find the viper 330 in the card database. (make sure you have
installed the SVGA server)
    Provide your monitors vertical and horizontal sync rates from its' manual
if it is not on the monitor list.
     do not probe for memory - specify your ram size ie: 4meg.
      do not specify a clock chip
      When you get to Xconfigurators resolution/color depth selection screen
select the mode(s) you would
       like to run in.
       Voila!

        I'm running RH 5.1 with a 4meg. PCI based Viper 330 in a socket 7
system. It works wonderfully for me at 800x600 and 1024x768 at both 16 and 24
bit (32) color depths.
         fyi - many mirrors - including - ftp.wgs.com - have an even newer
Xfree release in the RH 5.1
         (Manhatten) updates directory. I believe it's currently at 3.2.2-13.

have fun