Qu. about old scsi-card in new pc

Post by Thirsty McGuinnes » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Im thinking about installing my old Adaptec AHA2940 with an old 2GB
SCSI2-drive (10MBbte/s) for temporary data-backups for win98 next to two
further ATA66-drives.
Does this set down performance in general or just at the time its
active(while writing to/reading from the drive)

Thanks

For the Linux group:
Can I locate the /boot-partition(cause of the 1024-zylinder-border)  to
this drive without loosing performance? That is, without loosing performance
once Linux is running, not while booting, of course. Or does Linux need the
/boot while already running or sth?

Qu. about old scsi-card in new pc

Post by Mysti » Wed, 07 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Im thinking about installing my old Adaptec AHA2940 with an old 2GB
> SCSI2-drive (10MBbte/s) for temporary data-backups for win98 next to
two
> further ATA66-drives.
> Does this set down performance in general or just at the time its
> active(while writing to/reading from the drive)

> Thanks

> For the Linux group:
> Can I locate the /boot-partition(cause of the 1024-zylinder-border)
> this drive without loosing performance? That is, without loosing
performance
> once Linux is running, not while booting, of course. Or does Linux
need the
> /boot while already running or sth?

Since it's a SCSI device, you should not notice a performance issue. It
may pause on boot to initialize the SCSI card, but Windows should run
fine.

--
Mystic

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. X Windows and my old old old old video card

Hi. The card in question is an ISA ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (with the mach32
engine). The particular monitor that I'm using is an AST Vision 4L, and I
managed to root through the AST website (talk about counterintuitive!) so
I could get the horiz and vert scan lines etc. I can't seem to get X setup
right, when I run probe, it complains about a missing clocks line. Is
there any doc which can EXPLAIN xf86config? A man page helps, but getting
the theory fundas would be even nicer.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the level of support the linux community
provides. Also, being something of a DOS/Windows junkie ;=( in the past,
i'd appreciate it if I could be told where to get my hands on info that'll
help me migrate better.

regards
Aniruddha Shankar
BAngalore, India

 Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. unistd.h

3. I would like to know for *really* old PCs (was: Starting UNIX using old PCs)

4. nslookup can't see host

5. Help: New SCSI Card, Old can still scanned

6. 1.1.79 Screws up my terminal

7. New to Linux... trying to get an old, old 10Mbps Linksys card to work

8. DC100 Raid-Controller

9. Need Advise on Getting Old Adaptec Card for Old 450mb SCSI

10. New Oracle New Solaris v's Old Oracle Old Windows

11. Old adaptec SCSI-card

12. Which graphics card & sound card would be recommended for a new pc

13. Linux on new hard disk in PC with old BIOS