Which ZIP I/F is better????

Post by Mathijs Bran » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

: Can anyone tell me if there is a substantial difference

: between the performance of the scsi and parallel port version

: of the ZIP drive. I prefer the flexibilbity of the parallel

: version but since I have a scsi card in the system it would make

: no difference to me.

: CompUSA has the drive for $149 with a $50 rebate so the price is ok.

: I appreciate any comments.

I have an external SCSI and an internal SCSI ZIP connected to my system.
When I use them, I don't even notice it. With a friends parallel version
however, the machine slows down considerably, MP3 playing stops, etc.

With hdparm -t both SCSI drives get 0.85 MB/S, while the parallel one
only gets 0.32 MB/S and also increases the system load to 100% (EPP port)

I suggested you either get an external SCSI version, or an internal IDE.
Since the internal SCSI versions are very hard to come by these days.
If you get a SCSI ZIPdrive, you'll also need a SCSI controller. If you've
got a system with a PCI bus, get a new NCR810 for about $50. If you've got
something else, try to get an Adaptec 1542CF (ISA). The Adaptec will cost
you $80 - $100 second hand. After you've bought a decent enough SCSI
controler, you can also add SCSI disks, scanners and CD-ROM (writers) to it.

Mathijs

Which ZIP I/F is better????

Post by Frank Sweetse » Fri, 10 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Can anyone tell me if there is a substantial difference
> between the performance of the scsi and parallel port version
> of the ZIP drive. I prefer the flexibilbity of the parallel
> version but since I have a scsi card in the system it would make
> no difference to me.

Well, the stock kernel driver has abysmal peformance, (10M file in 6
minutes), but the latest drivers (http://www.torque.net/linux-pp.html, look
for the curtin driver) use assembly on x86 machines for vastly increased
performance (10M file in 55 seconds!)  I doubt it's the performance of the
scsi drive, but it makes it useable at least.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 4.9 Linux 2.0.31pre10 i586  | at public servers
"I would rather spend 10 hours reading someone else's source code than
10 minutes listening to Musak waiting for technical support which isn't."
(By Dr. Greg Wettstein, Roger Maris Cancer Center)

Which ZIP I/F is better????

Post by Mike Ivers » Sat, 11 Oct 1997 04:00:00

>Many manufacturers, including IOmega sell a parallel-to-SCSI interface.
>You just plug it into the parallel port and hook the SCSI drive to it...
>In taht way you can both use the speed of SCSI while connected to a SCSI
>port, and the flexibility of the parallel version.

FYI, it's called the "Jaz Traveller". All you need a cable to go from
the 68 pin (?) SCSI port to the 25 pin machintosh-style SCSI port on
the Zip.

Mike

--

| University Technology Services and                                   |
| the Department of Electrical Engineering                             |

1. Am I better off switching to another video card--is the agp bus the problem

Xconfigurator doesn't configure my video card (ati xpert 98 agp) and monitor
(viewsonic e70f) properly.  Entries for these are listed in the menu, but it
won't build the configuration file properly and therefore startx aborts even
before displaying anything.  I'm wondering if the agp bus is the problem.
Should I purchase a different video card.  And does it have to be pci.

2. Defrag and Linux?

3. Are SCSI or non-SCSI Jaz/Zip/etc. better?

4. gdk_draw_line (how?)

6. Sound in my homepage ?

7. Where is tpe-link-test on Sun Blade 100??

8. Red Hat Results - better and better

9. Is Windows NT a better VMS or a better Unix ?

10. I am with the following error, when i am running lilo...

11. Am I touchy? Or am I right?