Adaptec U320 SCSI on Dell Precision 670

Post by SB » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:56:05

Hello,

I'm having difficulty getting linux to recognize the SCSI controller on
this box.  As far as I can tell, it's an Adaptec U320 (and I see a 7901x
chip on the board).  I would much prefer getting this to work under
Debian or Slackware.  All signs point towards it running under the
_latest_ driver off of adaptec's website (aic79xx).  I have built a
custom boot disk under a 2.4 kernel with this driver, and it still won't
come up (module fails to load - "no such device").

Has anyone got any knowledge on this subject that they would like to share?

Much appreciated.

Post by John-Paul Stewar » Fri, 01 Oct 2004 00:07:44

> Hello,

> I'm having difficulty getting linux to recognize the SCSI controller on
> this box.  As far as I can tell, it's an Adaptec U320 (and I see a 7901x
> chip on the board).  I would much prefer getting this to work under
> Debian or Slackware.  All signs point towards it running under the
> _latest_ driver off of adaptec's website (aic79xx).  I have built a
> custom boot disk under a 2.4 kernel with this driver, and it still won't
> come up (module fails to load - "no such device").

You shouldn't need the driver from Adaptec.  The aic79xx driver is
included with all 2.6.x kernels and any resonably new 2.4.x kernel.  I
know I've never needed the Adaptec driver, even as far back as kernel
2.4.21 the aic79xx driver was in the generic kernel.org sources.  Unless
this is some weird Dell chip or you're running a really old kernel, I
would encourage you to use the kernel driver rather than Adaptec's.

1. RedHat 8.0 install on Adaptec AIC-7902 U320 SCSI mainboard

Per the RedHat 8.0 install notes:

The kernel used in this release contains the following improvements
and new features: Adaptec U320 support, updated aacraid driver,
speakup accessibility, HZ=512 for i686 and Athlon, and network console
and crash dump. Also, there are several small improvements not listed
here. The kernel is based on the 2.4.18 with selected bits from the
2.4.19 and the -ac patchset.

In the same release notes is a list of chipsets and the corresponding
kernel module to use. No mention of AIC-7902 is made there and a
usenet message from Justin Gibbs mentions that AIC7XXX will not
support this chipset because of how different it is. He did not
mention what module was for this chipset and even if so, I don't see
it in the RH 8.0 installer anyway. I've manually tried selecting every
Adaptec module in the list to no avail so far.

Suggestions or ideas? This is from downloaded ISOs and I have a copy
of RH 8.0 professional on order, perhaps the full manual will address
this where the onlnie install guide doesn't? I'm not holding my breath
for that though.

2. Help with PPP connection!

3. U320 SCSI HDD on Adaptec 39320 - mandrake

4. Oracle demo for SCO ?

5. SCSI problem with kernel 2.2 on a Dell Precision 410

6. Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock?

7. Adaptec U320 RAID cards supported?

8. Install Problems: RH 5.2, SB16 & Creative 200F CDROM

9. Very strange 'abort' errors in dmesg on U320 Adaptec AIC79XX

10. Intel motherboard, BIOS, adaptec U320 compatibility

11. Epson 670 printer on the USB

12. Solaris 2.4 and 670/sparc compat?

13. SparcServer 670