Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM: ghost image, pointer problem

Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM: ghost image, pointer problem

Post by Gal Berko » Fri, 01 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I'm using a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI 2Mbytes with XFree86
3.1.2.  Setup was very easy with xf86config.  I can use it with two
different monitors: Micron 17FGx (a.k.a. ADI 5AP) and Nokia 447x.

The odd part is that all the windows on the screen are sensitive to
mouse clicks a little to the right of where they should be.  For instance,
if I want to click on the edge of a window to resize it or something,
I have to move the pointer perhaps ten pixels to the right of where I
want to click.  Put another way, it seems that the X server thinks I
am clicking a little to the left of where I'm actually clicking.

With the Micron monitor, I can also see, to the right of each thing on
the screen, a very faint shadow.  For instance, each character in an
xterm window has a very faint ghost (barely visible, but annoying)
about one character's width to its right.  For a black character in an
xterm window with a bright gray or white background, the character's
ghost is barely brighter than the background.

Anybody else have this problem?  Thanks.

Kurt Bischoff

Post by Gal Berko » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>I'm using a Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI 2Mbytes with XFree86
>3.1.2.  Setup was very easy with xf86config.  I can use it with two
>different monitors: Micron 17FGx (a.k.a. ADI 5AP) and Nokia 447x.
>The odd part is that all the windows on the screen are sensitive to
>mouse clicks a little to the right of where they should be.  For instance,
>if I want to click on the edge of a window to resize it or something,
>I have to move the pointer perhaps ten pixels to the right of where I
>want to click.  Put another way, it seems that the X server thinks I
>am clicking a little to the left of where I'm actually clicking.

Solved!

Use Option "diamond"  in your XF86Config file.  See man XF86_S3.
This is new in Xfree 3.1.2.  xf86config doesn't automatically write
that option into XF86Config, as it seems it should when you select
the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM card from the card database.

Quote:>With the Micron monitor, I can also see, to the right of each thing on
>the screen, a very faint shadow.  For instance, each character in an
>xterm window has a very faint ghost (barely visible, but annoying)
>about one character's width to its right.  For a black character in an
>xterm window with a bright gray or white background, the character's
>ghost is barely brighter than the background.

Also solved!

I was using a monitor extension cable, and apparently there was an
impedance mismatch with the Micron monitor.  Thanks to

--
                                                        | Hans Kinwel

Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM: ghost image, pointer problem

Post by Mario Schroee » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The solution for the first problem ( the whole screen is shifted to the left):

You must set the option "diamond" in the graphics device section of XF86Config.

To your second problem:

I think that you are run the monitor near it maximum bandwidth. The shadow
could
go away if you reduce the pixelclock a little. ( or reducing the resolution or
the refresh rate).

Good luck, Mario

Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM: ghost image, pointer problem

Post by Mario Schroee » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

The solution for the first problem ( the whole screen is shifted to the left):

You must set the option "diamond" in the graphics device section of XF86Config.

To your second problem:

I think that you are run the monitor near it maximum bandwidth. The shadow
could
go away if you reduce the pixelclock a little. ( or reducing the resolution or
the refresh rate).

Good luck, Mario

1. Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM or ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach 64)?

I'm looking into getting a Micron P120PCI Millennia Plus system for
running Linux and XFree86. The Micron upgrade choices for video cards
are:

 - Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM    - 2MB or 4MB
 - ATI Graphics Pro Turbo (Mach 64) - 2MB or 4MB

Which is better supported in XFree86?

Is there any significant speed difference between these two cards for
XFree86?

I've heard that some cards run faster w/4MB than 2MB due to memory
interleaving or double wide bus access.  Do either of these two cards
have this property or is the only difference for these cards the
number of colors supported at higher resolutions?

Thanks,
Doug

2. R3000 CROSS-COMPILER ???

3. Stealth 64 Video VRAM: Mouse Pointer problem

4. telnet and root access

5. Will X work with the Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM PCI video card?

6. Any PCMCIA ether/modem combos work?

7. X-86 Video Problem with Diamond Stealth 64 VRam

8. Linux 2.x + Dell PowerEdge 2450: How to compile in percraid/aacraid

9. Minor problem with Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM

10. Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM Problem (Blank Screen)

11. Diamond Stealth 64 video vram

12. Help Diamond Stealth 64 VRAM Video