Docked versus undocked: RH7.3 on Dell Latitude C840

Docked versus undocked: RH7.3 on Dell Latitude C840

Post by Craig McCluske » Wed, 02 Oct 2002 14:15:51

At work, I have been assigned a Dell Latitude C840 notebook computer and
along with it a Dell Latitude C/Dock II and a Dell 2000FP display.

The notebook came with Windows XP (ugh!), but I successfully shrunk the
Windows partition significantly and have installed Red Hat Linux 7.3 on
it (yea!). RH7.3 works just fine, but I have some problems with the
differences between having the notebook docked and undocked.

The docked configuration has

        external display (Dell 2000FP)
        external mouse
        external speakers
        ethernet connection via the dock (eth1)

The undocked configuration has

        internal display
        internal trackpad
        internal speakers
        ethernet connection via internal NIC (eth0)

How do I tell Linux to switch between the two sets of hardware?

Thanks,

Craig

P.S. I tried to mount the Winders partition while in Linux, as I have
done
     in the past to access files there, but with XP I get the message
that
     the kernel does not support file system type ntfs. Any ways around
that?

--

send mail to   mccluskey (at) addressisp (dot) com

 /"\
 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN       "Friends don't send friends
  X   AGAINST HTML MAIL                   HTML email."
 / \  AND POSTINGS

1. Sound on Dell Latitude C840 with Debian

Hi,

just a short note how I got my sound working on a Dell Latitude C840
with Debian, 2.4.18 kernel. I downloaded and installed the
alsa-modules-2.4.18-386 0.9.0rc1+2+2.4.18+5 and the corresponding
alsa-source, alsa-utils, and alsa-base packages (0.9+0beta12), alsaconf
0.4.3b-4. I then configured the kernel such that only the sound was
configured as a module, but none of the dependent sound options was
selected. I rebuilt the kernel using make-kpkg. Then I used "make-kpkg
modules" to cause the alsa modules to be compiled. This resulted in a
package alsa-modules-2.4.18_0.9+0beta12+3+p0...deb to be placed in
/usr/src. Installing this with "dpkg -i alsa-modules..." allowed me to
call alsaconf and select the Intel 8x0 based soundcard. This is likely
to adapt the modules.conf file appropriately. Manually, the modules can
be loaded by a "modprobe snd-intel8x0".

Important: Use alsamixer afterwards to adapt the channels. They are
muted, with volume set to 0. Unmute them im alsamixer with the "M" key.

Finally, I can listen to my favorite MP3s again on my laptop :-))

-- Axel

---- < iO > -----------------------------------------------------
Interactive Objects Software GmbH

http://www.io-software.com
Basler Strasse 65, D-79100 Freiburg, Germany
Tel: [+49]-761-40073-0, Fax: [+49]-761-40073-73

2. Who are selling these?

3. Weird sound problems on Dell Latitude C840 resolved..

4. Newbie trying DOSEMU & WINE

5. Linux with Dell Latitude docking ports

6. Why does boot say "CDROM not ATAPI format" ?

7. Video help - Dell Latitude CP docked and X

8. Linix .99X dip/slip -> AIX 3.2.3e ,dos works on same FIXED

9. X on a Dell Latitude with a docking station

10. XFree86 on a Toshiba notebook PC undocked and then docked to a Revolution graphics card?

11. Problem with 3CC575FE and OLD Dell latitude and RH7.1

12. docking/undocking laptop

13. different X config files depending docked/undocked