Abit BP6 stability

Post by John Hage » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Good morning,

I've noticed a range of reports on this mainboard, having read opinions
indicating extreme reliability to extreme flakiness.

I'm curious how much of the flakiness might be due to the use of the ATA
channels on the mainboard. In other words, if you run an all-SCSI system,
will you notice any improvement in stability with this mainboard?

Also, does the type of memory make a diffference? I generally run the best
I can get my hands on (within economic reason :-). Does the SMP operation
of the board necessitate ECC memory? I'm running non-ECC PC100 memory in
my current setup that I'd like to recycle in a BP6, if it will work
reliably with the board.

I'd love to use this board for my next setup, but am very hesitant to just
jump in with it because of some of the tragic experiences that I've read.

Cheers,

--

=================================

Abit BP6 stability

Post by Hal Burgi » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I've noticed a range of reports on this mainboard, having read opinions
>indicating extreme reliability to extreme flakiness.

I have had many lockups and tried many 'cures'. I am apparently now
mostly stable since flashing QQ BIOS in late Feb. Only one lockup since
then. This is a big improvement.

Quote:>I'm curious how much of the flakiness might be due to the use of the
>ATA channels on the mainboard. In other words, if you run an all-SCSI
>system, will you notice any improvement in stability with this
>mainboard?

Can't say, as I am all IDE. There were Linux IDE<>SMP problems that were
fixed in 2.2.14.

Quote:>Also, does the type of memory make a diffference? I generally run the
>best I can get my hands on (within economic reason :-). Does the SMP
>operation of the board necessitate ECC memory? I'm running non-ECC
>PC100 memory in my current setup that I'd like to recycle in a BP6, if
>it will work reliably with the board.

Good quality components are very important IMO. I don't think ECC RAM is
a requirement though. Spend extra on a good Power Supply.

Quote:

>I'd love to use this board for my next setup, but am very hesitant to
>just jump in with it because of some of the tragic experiences that
>I've read.

I would have a hard time recommending it for any serious work for
reasons you mention. While there are many who have had good experiences,
the sheer number of problems is something to consider. I fought weekly
lockups from Oct to late Feb. This is the only board that I know of that
has its own mailing list dedicated to solving intractable problems.

Worth noting that running X seemed to be a problem for many. SCSI + no
X, seemed to be more reliable.

--
Hal B

--

Abit BP6 stability

Post by Dave Thompso » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

I too had many lockups with a dual celeron setup until I flashed the
latest bios.  An unattended machine runing seti would lockup every
couple of days -- that same machine, after the 'flash' has been up 15
days now.

The same board in another pc, with only one celeron, is ultra stable --
it's been months since I had a lockup  (i.e. no lockup since I removed
the second celeron).  When I have reason to take that machine down (my
firewall), I'll flash the bios in that machine too.

Dave Thompson

> >I've noticed a range of reports on this mainboard, having read opinions
> >indicating extreme reliability to extreme flakiness.

> I have had many lockups and tried many 'cures'. I am apparently now
> mostly stable since flashing QQ BIOS in late Feb. Only one lockup since
> then. This is a big improvement.

> >I'm curious how much of the flakiness might be due to the use of the
> >ATA channels on the mainboard. In other words, if you run an all-SCSI
> >system, will you notice any improvement in stability with this
> >mainboard?

> Can't say, as I am all IDE. There were Linux IDE<>SMP problems that were
> fixed in 2.2.14.

> >Also, does the type of memory make a diffference? I generally run the
> >best I can get my hands on (within economic reason :-). Does the SMP
> >operation of the board necessitate ECC memory? I'm running non-ECC
> >PC100 memory in my current setup that I'd like to recycle in a BP6, if
> >it will work reliably with the board.

> Good quality components are very important IMO. I don't think ECC RAM is
> a requirement though. Spend extra on a good Power Supply.

> >I'd love to use this board for my next setup, but am very hesitant to
> >just jump in with it because of some of the tragic experiences that
> >I've read.

> I would have a hard time recommending it for any serious work for
> reasons you mention. While there are many who have had good experiences,
> the sheer number of problems is something to consider. I fought weekly
> lockups from Oct to late Feb. This is the only board that I know of that
> has its own mailing list dedicated to solving intractable problems.

> Worth noting that running X seemed to be a problem for many. SCSI + no
> X, seemed to be more reliable.

> --
> Hal B

> --

Abit BP6 stability

Post by Alex La » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

> Good morning,

> I've noticed a range of reports on this mainboard, having read opinions
> indicating extreme reliability to extreme flakiness.

> I'm curious how much of the flakiness might be due to the use of the ATA
> channels on the mainboard. In other words, if you run an all-SCSI system,
> will you notice any improvement in stability with this mainboard?

> Also, does the type of memory make a diffference? I generally run the best
> I can get my hands on (within economic reason :-). Does the SMP operation
> of the board necessitate ECC memory? I'm running non-ECC PC100 memory in
> my current setup that I'd like to recycle in a BP6, if it will work
> reliably with the board.

I don't have the Abit board yet. But I've been running two Asus
SMP boxes for a couple of years.
I found high quality memory  works better. ECC is not
necessary, unless you want to go with more than 256MB.

Abit has also released its own Gentus-Linux 2.0 distro. It's
optimized for all Abit mobo, with native ata66 supports, soft
RAID, VIA chip sets, SMP, amongst other things.

You can download it for free. According to the Abit web site. A
CD-ROM version will comes with all Abit mobo later this month.

You can read about it and download the Gentus Linux
(675,220K)from
http://www.gentus.com/about_gentus.html

Quote:> I'd love to use this board for my next setup, but am very hesitant to just
> jump in with it because of some of the tragic experiences that I've read.

Yeah, especially now the Celeron 500 is dirt cheap.
Yes, I've read both good and bad things about this board as
well. Asus SMP boards are extremely nice, but a bit pricy,
especially for a toy box.

Alex Lam.

-remove the YYY from email address if reply by email.

> Cheers,

> --

> =================================

Abit BP6 stability

Post by Dave Thompso » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

Also, I'm running non ECC memory and using the ATA channels.

Dave

> I too had many lockups with a dual celeron setup until I flashed the
> latest bios.  An unattended machine runing seti would lockup every
> couple of days -- that same machine, after the 'flash' has been up 15
> days now.

> The same board in another pc, with only one celeron, is ultra stable --
> it's been months since I had a lockup  (i.e. no lockup since I removed
> the second celeron).  When I have reason to take that machine down (my
> firewall), I'll flash the bios in that machine too.

> Dave Thompson

> > >I've noticed a range of reports on this mainboard, having read opinions
> > >indicating extreme reliability to extreme flakiness.

> > I have had many lockups and tried many 'cures'. I am apparently now
> > mostly stable since flashing QQ BIOS in late Feb. Only one lockup since
> > then. This is a big improvement.

> > >I'm curious how much of the flakiness might be due to the use of the
> > >ATA channels on the mainboard. In other words, if you run an all-SCSI
> > >system, will you notice any improvement in stability with this
> > >mainboard?

> > Can't say, as I am all IDE. There were Linux IDE<>SMP problems that were
> > fixed in 2.2.14.

> > >Also, does the type of memory make a diffference? I generally run the
> > >best I can get my hands on (within economic reason :-). Does the SMP
> > >operation of the board necessitate ECC memory? I'm running non-ECC
> > >PC100 memory in my current setup that I'd like to recycle in a BP6, if
> > >it will work reliably with the board.

> > Good quality components are very important IMO. I don't think ECC RAM is
> > a requirement though. Spend extra on a good Power Supply.

> > >I'd love to use this board for my next setup, but am very hesitant to
> > >just jump in with it because of some of the tragic experiences that
> > >I've read.

> > I would have a hard time recommending it for any serious work for
> > reasons you mention. While there are many who have had good experiences,
> > the sheer number of problems is something to consider. I fought weekly
> > lockups from Oct to late Feb. This is the only board that I know of that
> > has its own mailing list dedicated to solving intractable problems.

> > Worth noting that running X seemed to be a problem for many. SCSI + no
> > X, seemed to be more reliable.

> > --
> > Hal B

> > --

Abit BP6 stability

Post by John Hage » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

> > I too had many lockups with a dual celeron setup until I flashed the
> > latest bios.  An unattended machine runing seti would lockup every
> > couple of days -- that same machine, after the 'flash' has been up 15
> > days now.

> > The same board in another pc, with only one celeron, is ultra stable --
> > it's been months since I had a lockup  (i.e. no lockup since I removed
> > the second celeron).  When I have reason to take that machine down (my
> > firewall), I'll flash the bios in that machine too.

So, is it reasonable to presume that flashing the BIOS on a BP6 board with
both processors installed fixes the lockup problem? Or does this just make
the problem less serious, without completely fixing it?

--

=================================

1. Abit BP6 with Linux, Power switch issues

I have  a Abit BP6  dual  processor  motherboard  running Linux  as  a
server.  It runs very well and I'm happy with it.

Occasionally  I  lose  power though.  On    these occasions the  power
normally comes right  back within a few  minutes.  The problem is that
even though the power is back the machine does not come back on due to
the stateless power switch on ATX machines.

How are people dealing with this?  I know people will tell me to get a
UPS which I will probably do, but that does  not solve the fundamental
problem.

Does the Abit BP6 have a  jumper to automatically  power up when power
is attached?  CAn i just shunr the the power jumper  that the power is
attached to?

Thanks,

paul

2. Problem w/ dialin using getty_ps

3. Abit BP6 SMP crashing under Xfree (RH 6.1, kernel 2.2.14)

4. PATCH: Add sys/personality (Re: Personality)

5. Abit BP6 Dual Celeron & SMP ?

6. Help with Printing

7. Abit BP6 + PIII ?

8. HELP: configuring audio device on Solaris 2.7

9. USB on Abit BP6, Mandrake 7.0

10. Poweroff with Abit BP6 and 2.2.15

11. Abit BP6 with processors of different speed

12. SO you have HPT366 UDMA66 and an ABit BP6 or BE6...

13. ABIT BP6 or OTHER UDMA 66 Issues