Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB gfx card Not working

Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB gfx card Not working

Post by Justin Y » Tue, 27 May 2003 01:41:02

I have an Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card which works fine
under Window$, but simply doesnt work in Mandrake 9.1, and RedHat 9. I
choose the Geforce4 generic driver in Mandrake setup (in RH9 it does that
automatically) and as soon as it tries to go into GUI mode, all I get is a
blank screen. I dont think its to do with the LCD screen ive got, since RH9
correctly finds it (ViewSonic VX700-2, using DVI). So im stuck with an well
expensive gfx card that can only run in txt mode! Does anyone else have the
same gfx card and the same problem?

When I install Mandrake 8.2 which doesnt even know what GF4 is, the GUI runs
fine, albeit seems a little sluggish, so it probably uses some default VGA
driver. Ive tried the nVidia site and the driver there, but it gives the
same blank screen.

Im a linux newbie, if Ive used some incorrect linux terminology please
correct me, and if you'd make your replies less like linux man pages (which
i find utterly unintelligible) that would be greatly appreciated! thanx

Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB gfx card Not working

Post by Rene Laederac » Tue, 27 May 2003 03:00:57

comp.os.linux.hardware:

Quote:> I have an Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card which works fine
> under Window$, but simply doesnt work in Mandrake 9.1, and RedHat 9. I
> choose the Geforce4 generic driver in Mandrake setup (in RH9 it does that
> automatically) and as soon as it tries to go into GUI mode, all I get is a
> blank screen. I dont think its to do with the LCD screen ive got, since
> RH9 correctly finds it (ViewSonic VX700-2, using DVI). So im stuck with an
> well expensive gfx card that can only run in txt mode! Does anyone else
> have the same gfx card and the same problem?

Have you tried the real NVidia drivers from www.nvidia.com? Installation
might be a bit tricky, but once it works, it works very fast.

--

Fidonet: 2:301/133             | you're above the target."

Post by Chri » Thu, 29 May 2003 17:52:59

> I have an Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB graphics card which works fine
> under Window$, but simply doesnt work in Mandrake 9.1, and RedHat 9. I
> choose the Geforce4 generic driver in Mandrake setup (in RH9 it does that
> automatically) and as soon as it tries to go into GUI mode, all I get is a
> blank screen. I dont think its to do with the LCD screen ive got, since RH9
> correctly finds it (ViewSonic VX700-2, using DVI). So im stuck with an well
> expensive gfx card that can only run in txt mode! Does anyone else have the
> same gfx card and the same problem?

> When I install Mandrake 8.2 which doesnt even know what GF4 is, the GUI runs
> fine, albeit seems a little sluggish, so it probably uses some default VGA
> driver. Ive tried the nVidia site and the driver there, but it gives the
> same blank screen.

> Im a linux newbie, if Ive used some incorrect linux terminology please
> correct me, and if you'd make your replies less like linux man pages (which
> i find utterly unintelligible) that would be greatly appreciated! thanx

Have a look in your XFree86.log file (should be in /var/log/) and see
what errors are reported. Get back to us or do a google search with that
error.
HTH
Chris.

1. My Geforce4 ti4200 card, help

I have SUSE 8.1 PRO, I downloaded NVchooser to see which are the proper
drivers for my Geforce4 Ti4200 card.

It says download
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm

Problem is, There is no
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm or
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i386.rpm on NVIDIA'S Website... There is Only
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse81.i586.rpm and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse81.i586.rpm

They have NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.suse80.i386.rpm and
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.suse80.i386.rpm, But that for SUSE 8.0

Where can I download the right drivers so I can enable 3D support on my
card.

Thanks in Advance.

I only had linux for a day or too, I really like it, Lots to learn.

I only know some of the console commands, I am learning.

2. Need help with pcmcia NIC install

3. Slackware and NVidia GeForce4 Ti4200

4. PPTP woes

5. xscreensaver 3d demos not working with nvidia ti4200

6. RPC and OSI layers

7. #9 GFX Card not configuring,... please help.

8. Talk wont unless I am connected to internet

9. BestLinux 2000 - Gfx Card not supported??

10. ABIT KT7 RAID And Linux - Not working!

11. Xtasy GeForce4 MX 440 video card need a little help

12. Video Card Problem (NVIDIA GeForce4) on Linux 7.2

13. VisionTek?s Xtasy GeForce4 MX 440 vid eo card need a little help