Toshiba Sat Pro 460CDT

Post by Dave Hiebel » Sun, 28 Dec 1997 04:00:00

  Has anyone here installed Linux on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT
laptop?  I am thinking of getting one of these machines, and am
wondering about any potential problems.  E.g. is the internal modem
that comes with the machine a real modem (not a winmodem)?

--
Dave Hiebeler     ~{:#DZ4fV*<:#,LlQDHt1HAZ~}
Graduate student in Applied Math / Ecology, Cornell University

Toshiba Sat Pro 460CDT

Post by Brian Wellingt » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>  Has anyone here installed Linux on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT
>laptop?  I am thinking of getting one of these machines, and am
>wondering about any potential problems.  E.g. is the internal modem
>that comes with the machine a real modem (not a winmodem)?

I installed Linux on a 440CDT, which is basically identical.  I haven't
been able to get sound to work at all (even using the commercial
sound drivers, which are supposed to work with that chipset), or audio
CDs to play.  Everything else (including the modem) works fine.

Brian

Toshiba Sat Pro 460CDT

Post by Juan Antonio Aguilar-Saavedr » Mon, 29 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>   Has anyone here installed Linux on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 460CDT
> laptop?  I am thinking of getting one of these machines, and am
> wondering about any potential problems.  E.g. is the internal modem
> that comes with the machine a real modem (not a winmodem)?

I have installed RH 4.2 on a 460CDT  with the help of Jens Maurer's page
http://www.cck.uni-kl.de/misc/tecra710/ and almost everything works
fine. XFree 3.3 supports the CT65554 chip, but XFree 3.3.1 is much
faster (besides, the chip is recognized as CT65554, not CT65555). I have
installed a 3C589D PCMCIA ethernet card which works properly after I
removed the pcmcia rpm and built pcmcia-2.9.12 from the sources (see
Joao Ventura's
pagehttp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/2628/t430cds.html).
Unfortunately, in Spain the 460CDT has the 33 Kbps internal modem
disabled until the negotiations with the Spanish telephone company
finish, so at home I use an external modem. RH 4.2 is clever enough to
configure the routes and gateways to work with the ethernet card or the
modem without changing anything manually, W95 is not.  I have used a
plip connection at 50 KB/s but it consumes a lot of CPU. The sound works
fine in quake, playmidi, xanim, etc. but: (1) I cant record, and (2)
RealAudio doesnt play correctly.
The floppy disk, CD-ROM, trackpoint, APM, doom and quake with svgalib,
all work properly.

1. Toshiba Sattelite Pro 460CDT, Tecra 530CDT, Tecra 750CDT

I'm thinking of getting one of the Toshiba models 460CDT, 530CDT, or
750CDT. I've looked at the "linux laptop homepage", but these models are
too new (I suppose) to be on it.

Does anyone know of any problems with using these computers with linux?
Can they achieve 1024x768x65K with Xwindows? Will the sound card work?
Will dosemu work? What do you think of your Toshiba 460CDT, 530CDT, or
750CDT?

Zack

2. XF86_SVGA server crash with Matrox Millenium II

3. toshiba satellite pro 460CDT and Linux

4. scsi

5. XConfig for Toshiba Sat. Pro 490XCDT

6. problem while autoconf/automake

7. FS:Toshiba Sat Pro 430CDT w/48 megs $465

8. RIP 2

9. x86 on portables (preferably Toshiba Sat. Pro)

10. redhat 5.1 with toshiba sat/pro 490xcdt (graphics S3V/MX)

11. FS Toshiba 430CDT Sat Pro w/48meg and bag $520

12. FS Toshiba 430CDT Sat Pro w/48megs and bag $520

13. FS:Toshiba Sat Pro w/48 megs $465