SuSe 6.3 & Cable Modem

Post by Stephe » Sun, 19 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Good old Linux.. willing toSuSe 6.3 give it a chance, (or two or three), but
my
patence is running low.......

I need a hand here.. I am doing my "Read the *y Manual"  requirements in
installing Linux, (along with a number of other sources),  but I am stuck at
the present.
 Linux SuSe 6.3 is installed and running, but I am having trouble getting my
Realtek RTL8029 & Motorola (*Surfer) Modem to be recognized, let alone
working.....

Anyone knowledgable with this hardware and distribution.. ? The manual is
not very clear when it comes to cable modems and ethernet cards.  If I can
get beyond this, I'll move on to my next step.. (Sound card), which isn't
supported or recognized!

--
Regards,

           Stephen

SuSe 6.3 & Cable Modem

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 03 Apr 2000 05:00:00

: I need a hand here.. I am doing my "Read the *y Manual"  requirements in
: installing Linux, (along with a number of other sources),  but I am stuck at
: the present.
:  Linux SuSe 6.3 is installed and running, but I am having trouble getting my
: Realtek RTL8029 & Motorola (*Surfer) Modem to be recognized, let alone
: working.....

Realtek MODEM? Surely the Realtek's are ethernet cards?

: Anyone knowledgable with this hardware and distribution.. ? The manual is
: not very clear when it comes to cable modems and ethernet cards.  If I can

There's nothing to do. Just load the driver for the card. Mind you, I
find no mention of the realtek you mention in my kernel source
(2.2.10). The only realtek cards I know are their pci ne2000 emulation
(which has the ne2k-pci driver), and their pci rtl8139, which is a
100BT card, with the rtl8139 driver:

 /usr/src/linux/drivers/net/rtl8139.c:MODULE_DESCRIPTION("RealTek RTL8129/8139 Fast Ethernet driver");

If the modem is a real modem, then it is supported.

But I am confused. Are you talking about one thing or two?

: get beyond this, I'll move on to my next step.. (Sound card), which isn't
: supported or recognized!

Pretty well all sound cards are.

Peter

1. suse 6.3 +cable modem=nothing

I used to have my ethernet card (linksys etherfast 10/100) installed with
caldera and it did not seem to have been that big of a challenge.

Getting it installed under SuSE 6.3 is apparently impossible.

I have messed with that YAST program until I am blue in the face and have
got exactly nothing to show for it.  So now I have moved on to trying to do
it manually.  I have it on good authority (50/50 shot) that tulip is the
module to use.  I have tried selecting that with yast.  I have tried doing
an insmod.  I have selected dhcp with yast, I don't know how to do that
manually.

once tulip is started (it says "unused" when you run lsmod) then you can get
an answer with "ifconfig eth0".  Otherwise you get an error.

I have tried sending a request for help to SuSE and they have ignored it so
far (which is what Caldera does)

--
Jeff Brock

2. PS/2 mouse issues...

3. Linux Suse 6.3 and Cable Modem

4. mpeg_play for Linux

5. SuSE 6.3 & rc.config & IPADDR

6. How do I get a filelength?

7. Assistance with modem troubles under SuSE 6.3?

8. KDE 2.01 doesn't save same changes

9. Modem In Suse 6.3

10. modem connect rates: WindowsNT, SuSE 6.3

11. SuSE 6.3 and modem permissions

12. Modem config under SuSE 6.3

13. SuSE 6.3 & lilo - kernel too big