Linux (RedHat 5.2) and AGP

Post by Vlemings Stieve » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello everybody there,
I just confinced my brother to go out and buy linux.
But there is just one small problem, i can't seem to get X running with
his videocard.
The card is a S3Trio3D AGP.
I also downloaded xfee86-3.3.3.1, and used XF86Setup
The only videomode that i can use is 320x300-8bpp, while under windows
it runs up to:
1280x1024-24bpp.
Can anyone tell what i have to do to get a higher videomode?

thanks in advance

Phoenix

Linux (RedHat 5.2) and AGP

Post by Grant Lesli » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

There is no direct support for this video card in XFree86..
Check out this page on setting the 3DFX Banshee, the same instuctions
would apply

http://www.uno.edu/~adamico/banshee/

I am using the same card, with good results at 1024x768 65K colors with
no problems..

BUT this setup is not for the inexperienced, and requires downloading,
compiling, and installing a new kernel, so if you're unsure, buy the X
server package from Xi Graphics, which supports the S3 Trio3D card
natively.
Not sure of the URL at the moment.. a search on Xi Graphics should give
you the web page for them..

--
"It looks so lovely, and fragile. Imagine how many millions of people
 are living on it, and don't even realize how fragile it is."