modem driver

Post by The Black Horu » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:24:39

I'm looking for my PCI Motorola modem driver, can anyone tell
me if it exists, and where ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

modem driver

Post by Dances With Cro » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:49:51

On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:24:39 GMT, The Black Horus staggered into
the Black Sun and said:

Quote:>I'm looking for my PCI Motorola modem driver, can anyone tell
>me if it exists, and where ?

http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodems.html

If your modem is on that list, and marked as a "WinModem", then you're
out of luck.  Rip it out of the case, sell it to someone who doesn't
know anything about hardware, and go buy a Real Modem (defined as one
that's external and plugs into the 9-pin serial port.)

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
-----------------------------/    I hit a seg fault....

modem driver

Post by James Richard Tyre » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 13:09:07

> On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:24:39 GMT, The Black Horus staggered into
> the Black Sun and said:
> >I'm looking for my PCI Motorola modem driver, can anyone tell
> >me if it exists, and where ?

> http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodems.html

> If your modem is on that list, and marked as a "WinModem", then you're
> out of luck.  Rip it out of the case, sell it to someone who doesn't
> know anything about hardware, and go buy a Real Modem (defined as one
> that's external and plugs into the 9-pin serial port.)

I do not understand why we continue to tell people that they need to buy an
external modem.

I have a 3Com/USR PCI modem -- model 3CP2976 -- and it works fine.

JRT

If Winmodems are outlawed, only outlaws will sell Winmodems!

modem driver

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 19:04:56

> I do not understand why we continue to tell people that they need to buy an
> external modem.

What's your problem with understanding? 99% of PCI modems are
winmodems.  5% of those have a linux driver.

Quote:> I have a 3Com/USR PCI modem -- model 3CP2976 -- and it works fine.

Bully for you. How does that affect the advice one should give to
people? Or do you propose crossing the road with your eyes shut simply
because 5% of the time you will survive?

Peter

modem driver

Post by -J=P » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:47:16

>> I do not understand why we continue to tell people that they need to buy an
>> external modem.

>What's your problem with understanding? 99% of PCI modems are
>winmodems.  5% of those have a linux driver.

>> I have a 3Com/USR PCI modem -- model 3CP2976 -- and it works fine.

>Bully for you. How does that affect the advice one should give to
>people? Or do you propose crossing the road with your eyes shut simply
>because 5% of the time you will survive?

Perhaps because if you over-simplify and say no PCI modems work and someone
hears elsewhere that in fact they (some) do work then they will be very confused
and may totally disregard your statement?

jp

modem driver

Post by Peter T. Breue » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 21:44:55

>>> I do not understand why we continue to tell people that they need to buy an
>>> external modem.

>>What's your problem with understanding? 99% of PCI modems are
>>winmodems.  5% of those have a linux driver.

>>> I have a 3Com/USR PCI modem -- model 3CP2976 -- and it works fine.

>>Bully for you. How does that affect the advice one should give to
>>people? Or do you propose crossing the road with your eyes shut simply
>>because 5% of the time you will survive?
> Perhaps because if you over-simplify and say no PCI modems work and someone
> hears elsewhere that in fact they (some) do work then they will be very confused
> and may totally disregard your statement?

And what exactly is the penalty of that?  They then have a 50% chance
(confused person) of going ahead and buying the non-working pci
winmodem, instead of the 95% chance which they'd have had if they went
ahead and bought a pci modem in the first place without receiving
advice, or the 0% chance that they'd have if they heeded advice to not
buy a pci (or USB!) modem.

Do you know ANY game theory, decsion theory, risk analysis? NNNO.

Telling them not to buy a pci modem is the optimal strategy against
the game countermoves you proposed.

And I suppose they aren't confused by being told that pci modems can work?

Peter

modem driver

Post by James Richard Tyre » Tue, 12 Dec 2000 14:57:13

> >>What's your problem with understanding? 99% of PCI modems are
> >>winmodems.  5% of those have a linux driver.

> >>Bully for you. How does that affect the advice one should give to
> >>people? Or do you propose crossing the road with your eyes shut simply
> >>because 5% of the time you will survive?

> > Perhaps because if you over-simplify and say no PCI modems work and someone
> > hears elsewhere that in fact they (some) do work then they will be very confused
> > and may totally disregard your statement?

> And what exactly is the penalty of that?  They then have a 50% chance
> (confused person) of going ahead and buying the non-working pci
> winmodem, instead of the 95% chance which they'd have had if they went
> ahead and bought a pci modem in the first place without receiving
> advice, or the 0% chance that they'd have if they heeded advice to not
> buy a pci (or USB!) modem.

> Do you know ANY game theory, decsion theory, risk analysis? NNNO.

> Telling them not to buy a pci modem is the optimal strategy against
> the game countermoves you proposed.

> And I suppose they aren't confused by being told that pci modems can work?

> Peter

Simple: Tell them to buy only PCI modems that say they support Linux on the box,  buy
only a 3Com/USR modem with that model number, buy only form a mail order retailer
that clearly labels modems as Win or Non-Win, or (as I did) go into a real
electronics store and tell the clerk that you need a hardware modem for UNIX.

On the other hand you can tell them to waste $50 so they don't have to think!!

JRT

modem driver

Post by -J=P » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:36:11

>>>What's your problem with understanding? 99% of PCI modems are
>>>winmodems.  5% of those have a linux driver.

>>>Bully for you. How does that affect the advice one should give to
>>>people? Or do you propose crossing the road with your eyes shut simply
>>>because 5% of the time you will survive?

>> Perhaps because if you over-simplify and say no PCI modems work and someone
>> hears elsewhere that in fact they (some) do work then they will be very confused
>> and may totally disregard your statement?

>And what exactly is the penalty of that?  They then have a 50% chance
>(confused person) of going ahead and buying the non-working pci
>winmodem, instead of the 95% chance which they'd have had if they went
>ahead and bought a pci modem in the first place without receiving
>advice, or the 0% chance that they'd have if they heeded advice to not
>buy a pci (or USB!) modem.

>Do you know ANY game theory, decsion theory, risk analysis? NNNO.

>Telling them not to buy a pci modem is the optimal strategy against
>the game countermoves you proposed.

>And I suppose they aren't confused by being told that pci modems can work?

To use a real-world analogy (like your fatuous road-crossing one) you would
only buy a BMW-compatible exhaust for your BMW car. You only buy a PCI modem
"certified" with linux (such as actiontec call-waiting) for your Linux
system. I would hope most people understand that.

jp

modem driver

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:54:28

Quote:>> And I suppose they aren't confused by being told that pci modems can work?
> Simple: Tell them to buy only PCI modems that say they support Linux on the box,  buy

Sigh .. you really are trying, aren't you?

Quote:> only a 3Com/USR modem with that model number, buy only form a mail order retailer

The model numbers on 3coms aren't externally visible (or at least not
correlated with the markings on the box), as far as I can gather. I'd
vouch for that on USR equipment, anyway!

Quote:> that clearly labels modems as Win or Non-Win, or (as I did) go into a real

Nobody labels their modems as "non-winmodem". They couldn't. The
name is trademarked, and the trademark holders wouldn't do it!

Quote:> electronics store and tell the clerk that you need a hardware modem for UNIX.

And how does the person spot a real electronics store, and maybe a real
electronics clerk? I used to know a few about 10 years ago, but I don't
think I could even come up with one nowadays. And the real people don't
know either .. nobody can. Teh manufacturers change things every week
without telling anyone.

Quote:> On the other hand you can tell them to waste $50 so they don't have to think!!

Peter

modem driver

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 03:54:39

> To use a real-world analogy (like your fatuous road-crossing one) you would
> only buy a BMW-compatible exhaust for your BMW car. You only buy a PCI modem
> "certified" with linux (such as actiontec call-waiting) for your Linux

This doesn't get you anything. Presumably lucent "certify" their
win/softmodems for linux, since they provided a driver. Unfortunately
their driver won't work on any current distro, since it's compiled for
an old kernel, and available binary-only. (as far as I remember ..)

Quote:> system. I would hope most people understand that.

You really, really, are very, very trying, very very hard...

Peter

modem driver

Post by James Richard Tyre » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:05:24

> > only a 3Com/USR modem with that model number, buy only form a mail order retailer

> The model numbers on 3coms aren't externally visible (or at least not
> correlated with the markings on the box), as far as I can gather. I'd
> vouch for that on USR equipment, anyway!

> > that clearly labels modems as Win or Non-Win, or (as I did) go into a real

> Nobody labels their modems as "non-winmodem". They couldn't. The
> name is trademarked, and the trademark holders wouldn't do it!

Well, surf on over to:

 http://www.pcprogress.com/cart/getlist.asp?ItemCat=MODEMS&OrderID=362...

Notice the phrase:

"NON-WINMODEM HARDWARE MODEM W/VOICE MODEL 2976 NON-WIN"

in the description in the 3COM section.

JRT

modem driver

Post by The Black Horu » Thu, 14 Dec 2000 21:51:21

> On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:24:39 GMT, The Black Horus staggered into
> the Black Sun and said:
> >I'm looking for my PCI Motorola modem driver, can anyone tell
> >me if it exists, and where ?

> http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodems.html

> If your modem is on that list, and marked as a "WinModem", then you're
> out of luck.  Rip it out of the case, sell it to someone who doesn't
> know anything about hardware, and go buy a Real Modem (defined as one
> that's external and plugs into the 9-pin serial port.)

thanks a lot for the RRResponses.
i'm asking a question, and i found a wrestle on my forum.
what a shame.

the pb wasn't why did t bought this PCI modem, but where can I find
a driver.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

modem driver

Post by James Richard Tyre » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 00:01:23

> > On Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:24:39 GMT, The Black Horus staggered into
> > the Black Sun and said:
> > >I'm looking for my PCI Motorola modem driver, can anyone tell
> > >me if it exists, and where ?

> > http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodems.html

> > If your modem is on that list, and marked as a "WinModem", then you're
> > out of luck.  Rip it out of the case, sell it to someone who doesn't
> > know anything about hardware, and go buy a Real Modem (defined as one
> > that's external and plugs into the 9-pin serial port.)

> thanks a lot for the RRResponses.
> i'm asking a question, and i found a wrestle on my forum.
> what a shame.

> the pb wasn't why did t bought this PCI modem, but where can I find
> a driver.

If there is a driver available -- either now, or in the future -- you
should be able to find that information at:

 http://www.linmodems.org/

JRT

modem driver

Post by Peter T. Breue » Wed, 13 Dec 2000 22:06:59

>> Nobody labels their modems as "non-winmodem". They couldn't. The
>> name is trademarked, and the trademark holders wouldn't do it!
> Well, surf on over to:
>  http://www.pcprogress.com/cart/getlist.asp?ItemCat=MODEMS&OrderID=362...
> Notice the phrase:
> "NON-WINMODEM HARDWARE MODEM W/VOICE MODEL 2976 NON-WIN"
> in the description in the 3COM section.

3com hold the trademark as far as I recall.  I'm not sure what the
status of a 3com resaler labelling some of 3coms' equipment as
non-winmodem is.  Presumably it's OK by 3com.  But they surely can't refer to
other manufacturers models that way, whatever they are!  Well, maybe
they can, since they have 3com's blessing.  But try doing that without a
3com franchise?

They (and you) have found a cranny in the law!

Peter