Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by Pigo » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Can Star Office read the files from MS (ehh,ehh) Office 97 ???

I am going to install Red Hat 6.0 in office but I must be sure that I can
open my files from office 97 ...

Please help newbie !!!

Pigou

Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by Steve Elmor » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Yes...it can.  I use RH6.0 and SO5.0 in conjuction with MSOffice 97 (work's
suite of choice).

Steve

> Can Star Office read the files from MS (ehh,ehh) Office 97 ???

> I am going to install Red Hat 6.0 in office but I must be sure that I can
> open my files from office 97 ...

> Please help newbie !!!

> Pigou

Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by Manfred Becke » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

> Can Star Office read the files from MS (ehh,ehh) Office 97 ???

Hi Pigou,

yes and no !
Yes it can read simple Documents.
No it can not read complex Documents with input-field, listboxes, macros and
so on. Maybe it the new release just published. I wil try it.

Gtnx
- Manfred -

--
+----------- Manfred Becker -----------+      W     W
! D-53842 Troisdorf-Altenrath          !     ( )___( )

+--------------------------------------+--oooO-`___'-Oooo---

Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by Harry Hogenkam » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

Steve and other linux gurus:

How did you get SO5.0 to work under RH6.0?  Did you get in on the official
RH Applications CD or were you able to find a good work around to the glibc
2.0.7 (SO50) vs glibc 2.1 (RH60) problem?

V/R
Harry

> Yes...it can.  I use RH6.0 and SO5.0 in conjuction with MSOffice 97 (work's
> suite of choice).

> Steve

> > Can Star Office read the files from MS (ehh,ehh) Office 97 ???

> > I am going to install Red Hat 6.0 in office but I must be sure that I can
> > open my files from office 97 ...

> > Please help newbie !!!

> > Pigou

Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by Joshua Marti » Thu, 20 May 1999 04:00:00

I had problems with it too... BUT

Staroffice 5.1 is out today and it works with redhat 6.0 .  When i went
to download it i had to use the german site because the english one
hadnt been updated yet (good ol' altavista translater).

When you install it will tell you that some files are out of date but if
you just keep going with the install it does work.

--Joshua Martin

> Steve and other linux gurus:

> How did you get SO5.0 to work under RH6.0?  Did you get in on the official
> RH Applications CD or were you able to find a good work around to the glibc
> 2.0.7 (SO50) vs glibc 2.1 (RH60) problem?

> V/R
> Harry

> > Yes...it can.  I use RH6.0 and SO5.0 in conjuction with MSOffice 97 (work's
> > suite of choice).

> > Steve

> > > Can Star Office read the files from MS (ehh,ehh) Office 97 ???

> > > I am going to install Red Hat 6.0 in office but I must be sure that I can
> > > open my files from office 97 ...

> > > Please help newbie !!!

> > > Pigou

Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by Aaron and Hifum » Fri, 21 May 1999 04:00:00

Your best bet is to download the new Staroffice 5.1 that was just
released yesterday. I know I know... it's a 72meg download, but it works
like a charm. I was having the same troubles as you, trying to set up
links to old libraries, etc.... It's easier just to bite the bullet and
get the newest version.

Aaron

> Steve and other linux gurus:

> How did you get SO5.0 to work under RH6.0?  Did you get in on the official
> RH Applications CD or were you able to find a good work around to the glibc
> 2.0.7 (SO50) vs glibc 2.1 (RH60) problem?

> V/R
> Harry

> > Yes...it can.  I use RH6.0 and SO5.0 in conjuction with MSOffice 97 (work's
> > suite of choice).

> > Steve

> > > Can Star Office read the files from MS (ehh,ehh) Office 97 ???

> > > I am going to install Red Hat 6.0 in office but I must be sure that I can
> > > open my files from office 97 ...

> > > Please help newbie !!!

> > > Pigou

Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by 93 » Sat, 22 May 1999 04:00:00

Manfred Becker (and others) wrote in various messages

[SNIP] Star Office and MS Office compatibilities.

Just use HTML and PDF - both OSes can produce and read these. Drop Office
Suites and use browser technology. It's all just "information" in the end.
The trick is to use a common front-end.

Compatibilities between various versions of MS Office just proves the need
for a common format. IMO HTML is the *ONLY* way forward through all this
incompatibility.

93

Star Office and Office 97 ...

Post by Steffen Klu » Tue, 25 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Yes it can read simple Documents.
>No it can not read complex Documents with input-field, listboxes, macros and
>so on. Maybe it the new release just published. I wil try it.

I haven't noticed much improvement on the StarWriter input
filters between 5.0 and 5.1. Complex documents or those
containing in-line graphics are still broken.

Cheers
Steffen.

--

Fujitsu Australia Ltd
--

1. Star and office 97

     When I logging in as a normal user and start Staroffice, I
can opened ppt and xls but I can't edit and can't save into my windows
partition, only when I log in as root. I have use linuxconf to give the
equal priviliege to the my normal user account, but still I can't edit
as
normal user,......

I am using Linux Mandrake 6.0 and StarOffice 5.1

Please advise

2. GDM-1960+Tsenglabs 6000

3. Open Office (Star Office) is included on Yellow Dog CD

4. insmod?

5. star office 5.2 and open office 6.3

6. Mount FAT partition of Win95/NT 3.5 with long file name

7. Star Office is the ford escort of office suites - Erik Funkenbusch

8. why SCO rlogin scripts not work

9. Open Office versus Star Office - Opinions please

10. Can I run MS office files with Star Office on linux?

11. Is Star Office just as crash prone as MS Office?

12. star office, office suites

13. Star Office v Applix Office 99