Serial port troubles...

Post by ERA Computer Service » Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:00:00

I've put in two modems in my machines -- on ttyS0 and ttyS2...

If I put the mouse on cua1, it slows down the modems to a crawl :-(
Answers? Please?

I tried to use a PS/2 mouse, but the kernel wouldn't load the
psaux module (newly compiled 2.0.27 kernel).

For more details about the hardware I'm using email

Cheers,
Saeed

Serial port troubles...

Post by Vern Hox » Sat, 07 Feb 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I've put in two modems in my machines -- on ttyS0 and ttyS2...

>If I put the mouse on cua1, it slows down the modems to a crawl :-(
>Answers? Please?

/dev/cua1 and /dev/ttyS1 are the same port.  You apparently are using
two devices with the same driver.

Ted T'so is strongly considering dropping the cua* junk from future
version of Linux.

Quote:>I tried to use a PS/2 mouse, but the kernel wouldn't load the
>psaux module (newly compiled 2.0.27 kernel).

From the kernel configuration script, select the ps/2 driver as built
in rather than as a module.  You will be using it most of the time and
the saving in space for a module won't gain much for you.

Also, make a symbolic link from /dev/psaux to /dev/mouse.  Many
programs will use the 'mouse' name instead of 'psaux'.

vern

--

3975 W. 29th Ave.                                        uucp: 303-455-2670
Denver, Colo., 80212                                    voice: 303-477-1780

1. My own serial port troubles

I'm also having weird serial port issues.  I've installed a Dolphin
4037 PCI dual port card.  Setserial is quite happy with the card.
I have ttyS0 and ttyS1 as the normal 3F8 & 2F8 ports along with
ttyS4 and ttyS5 cards at 0xb400 and 0xb408.

When I try to use either the S4 or S5 ports with my US Robotics modem
it works fine.  When I hook up my UPS to either of these two ports,
the machine hangs--hard...doesn't respond to pings, etc.

The S0 and S1 ports work fine with both the modem and UPS.

If I put a break out box in line and disconnect the handshake lines,
accessing the ttyS4 or S5 port with the UPS hooked to it via minicom
doesn't hang the machine.  I can then get out of minicom, reconnect
all of the serial handshake lines and then things work fine.

Oh, yes, Slackware 8.1, kernel 2.4.18, serial driver 5.05c is a module
and I have the support more than 4 ports and share interrupts "enabled"
in the kernel.  setserial is 2.17.

The setserial command is setserial /dev/ttyS4 port 0xb400 irq 5 and
setserial /dev/ttyS5 port 0xb08 irq 5.

Any help would be appreciated.

Eric
elawson )at( inficad.com

2. FTP problem on AIX 4.3.3

3. Solaris 2.3 serial port trouble

4. Machine won't reboot after shutdown using the halt option

5. OpenBSD 2.9 and serial port troubles

6. Linux on Helio PDA

7. Serial port trouble

8. dietHotplug 0.3 release

9. Serial Port troubles

10. Serial port troubles

11. Serial ports trouble

12. serial port on v490 and Serial port on StorEdge 3510

13. Serial port to serial port copying software