How To Change Video Driver?

Post by artw.. » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I installed RH 5.2 on a 486DX100 using a Cirrus Logic video card.
Since then I changed to an ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (mach32).

How does one change the video driver for the ATI card? I prefer not to
reinstall the whole package from scratch.

Thanks in advance.

Art

How To Change Video Driver?

Post by danceswithcr.. » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I installed RH 5.2 on a 486DX100 using a Cirrus Logic video card.
> Since then I changed to an ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (mach32).

> How does one change the video driver for the ATI card? I prefer not to
> reinstall the whole package from scratch.

You'll probably want to run xconfigurator from runlevel 3 (runlevel
3==without X in RH, I think) and let it autodetect the card.  I'm amazed
that the X-server for a Cirrus Logic would even work with a Mach32
board!  You will probably have to install the Mach32 X-server, but you
won't have to reinstall the whole OS by any means.  Good luck...

--MG

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

How To Change Video Driver?

Post by TheCentralScrutinizer... » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>I installed RH 5.2 on a 486DX100 using a Cirrus Logic video card.
>Since then I changed to an ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (mach32).

>How does one change the video driver for the ATI card? I prefer not to
>reinstall the whole package from scratch.

I have rh6.1 so I don't know how much is applicable.

On my system there an automatic hardware check but that came w/ RH6.1.

The other way to change it is to boot into single user mode ("linux
single" at the lilo prompt) and use XF86Config, Xconfigurator, or
XF86Setup.

All are in the /usr/X11R6 directory.

How To Change Video Driver?

Post by TheCentralScrutinizer... » Sat, 01 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>>I installed RH 5.2 on a 486DX100 using a Cirrus Logic video card.
>>Since then I changed to an ATI Graphics Ultra Pro (mach32).

>>How does one change the video driver for the ATI card? I prefer not to
>>reinstall the whole package from scratch.

>I have rh6.1 so I don't know how much is applicable.

>On my system there an automatic hardware check but that came w/ RH6.1.

>The other way to change it is to boot into single user mode ("linux
>single" at the lilo prompt) and use XF86Config, Xconfigurator, or
>XF86Setup.

>All are in the /usr/X11R6 directory.

/usr/X11R6/bin actually

1. Change Video Driver?

I installed Tru64 v5.0 on a 433a/au with an S3 Virge video card in it.

Tru64 only installed a generic VGA driver (640x480x4bpp) and it stinks

Can I run doconfig to create a new kernal with the correct driver?  And does
anyone know which driver I would select?

Thanks,
Tom Sevy

2. SoundBlaster AWE64 and Graphics Blaster Exxtreme

3. Help changing video driver

4. SCSI controller recommendations for Jensen

5. Network monitoring

6. How do you Change the video Driver?

7. Netscape 4.06 Upgrade

8. Changing resolution without "no video driver"

9. How do I change drivers for video and monitors

10. Can't change video resolutions for 3D Blaster Banshee Video Card

11. Jaton Video 67 PRO PCI VIDEO CARD DRIVERS

12. Which video driver for ASUS video/audio adapter?