Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Post by Jimb » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:20:03

Hi,

I've had an HP Compaq NX9005 for a few months. It has both wired and
wireless networking built-in, which is great, but I've not managed to
get the wireless stuff (Broadcom) working under Linux. Is the only
answer to buy the Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/)
software, or is there another way.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone using the Linuxant software on
this particular laptop.

Thanks,

Paul
~~~~~

Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Post by John W. Pric » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 03:46:50

Quote:> Hi,

> I've had an HP Compaq NX9005 for a few months. It has both wired and
> wireless networking built-in, which is great, but I've not managed to
> get the wireless stuff (Broadcom) working under Linux. Is the only
> answer to buy the Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/)
> software, or is there another way.

> I'd be interested to hear from anyone using the Linuxant software on
> this particular laptop.

I can't speak about the HP, but I am using the Driverloader software on
a Dell Latitude D400, and I'm very happy with it.  You can get a free
30-day trial (of which I'm about two weeks into), to make sure that it
will work for you.

For my part, I recommend it.  It's worth the ~$30 to Just Work.

John

--

            Where there is no solution, there is no problem.
                -- John G. Price (my father), ca. 1975.

Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Post by Jimb » Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:20:08

Hi John,

> I can't speak about the HP, but I am using the Driverloader software on
> a Dell Latitude D400, and I'm very happy with it.  You can get a free
> 30-day trial (of which I'm about two weeks into), to make sure that it
> will work for you.

> For my part, I recommend it.  It's worth the ~$30 to Just Work.

Okay, I'll give the trial a go. Thanks!

Paul
~~~~~

Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Post by RusH » Tue, 02 Mar 2004 18:39:59

Quote:>  It's worth the ~$30 to Just Work.

you can get totally brand new wifi card for 30$, but I guess its your
money ..

Pozdrawiam.
--
RusH   //
 http://pulse.pdi.net/~rush/qv30/

Post by Jimb » Wed, 03 Mar 2004 00:45:24

>> It's worth the ~$30 to Just Work.

> you can get totally brand new wifi card for 30$, but I guess its your
> money ..

Well, yes, but it's just nice to be able to have the integrated one
running :-) And it is 802.11g. To get a card to do that would definately
  cost more than $30 in the UK.

Paul
~~~~~

Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Post by Rainer Schwar » Mon, 08 Mar 2004 12:56:52

Hi,

I am working with a BenQ Joybook 5000u, a Centrino Notbook with the Intel
2100 WLAN device. Driverloader never worked very well. It always had lags
which means that on IRC nothing was received for minutes and then lot of
lines came at the same time. Only running a ping did work around a bit.
The Kernel wireless extentions didn't work on my driverloader system.
Now I am glad to have the ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) which
works pretty fine. Even the link status is shown in gkrellm.

Bye
Rainer

Am Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:20:03 +0000 schrieb Paul (Jimbo) Duncan G7KES:

Quote:> Hi,

> I've had an HP Compaq NX9005 for a few months. It has both wired and
> wireless networking built-in, which is great, but I've not managed to
> get the wireless stuff (Broadcom) working under Linux. Is the only
> answer to buy the Linuxant (http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/)
> software, or is there another way.

> I'd be interested to hear from anyone using the Linuxant software on
> this particular laptop.

> Thanks,

> Paul
> ~~~~~

Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Post by Eduardo Estefan » Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:35:26

Hi,

newbie here trying to get the linuxant driverloaded to work. I managed
to install it with rpm  and it appears to be working ok. How do I setup
driverloaded to load my broadcom drivers now?

PS: why doesn't broadcom supply drivers for their products?!?!?!?!
thanks

Post by Eduardo Estefan » Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:35:11

Hi,

newbie here trying to get the linuxant driverloaded to work. I managed
to install it with rpm  and it appears to be working ok. How do I setup
driverloaded to load my broadcom drivers now?

PS: why doesn't broadcom supply drivers for their products?!?!?!?!
thanks

Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

Post by Michael Perr » Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:31:00

Quote:> Hi,

> newbie here trying to get the linuxant driverloaded to work. I managed
> to install it with rpm  and it appears to be working ok. How do I setup
> driverloaded to load my broadcom drivers now?

> PS: why doesn't broadcom supply drivers for their products?!?!?!?!
> thanks

You have to use the web or the command line interface that linuxant
mentions on their website or that I saw when I installed the debian
package.  You can use the dldrconfig -info command I believe to get
additional information.  But basically what I do with Linuxant:

1) download the driver and get the Windows drivers that you will need in
a zip archive

2) install the driverloader driver and start mozilla pointing to the URL
that they tell you to use.

3) add the license details or whatever.

4) add the windows drivers you need

5) adjust the default configuration parameters where needed.

I also add things to debian's network interfaces so the card comes up
right.  BTW, I am using Linuxant with a Linksys WPC54G card with
excellent results.

You may want to subscribe to their mailing list as well.  I've found
linuxant tech support to be pretty helpful in configuring and using the
drivers with a variety of cards.

As far as why broadcom doesn't do the driver thing...

No idea there.

--
Michael Perry | do or do not. There is no try. -Master Yoda

1. Broadcom Wireless Support, Compaq R3000Z, HP zv5000z questions

I'm thinking about getting a Compaq R3000Z Athlon 64 notebook which comes
with builtin 54G Broadcom 802.11 b/g. Is there any support for the
Broadcom chipset or is it just a useless appendage? HP is offering it as a
Free Upgrade on the Compaq version of this notebook. There is also an HP
version, the zv5000z, which according to the HP salesguy at hpshopping.com
is identical except for some additional bundled software and the color of
the case. So I'd like to hear from owners of either the Compaq or HP
versions about the Linux compatibility (especially with Mandrake 9.2 and
10.0) and their general impressions of this notbook.

2. Linux 2.0.34/RedHat 5.1/XFree86 3.3.2/Fvwm2 2.0.46/Netscape 4.04: Recurring problems require X server reset

3. what does 9013 have that 9005 lacks

4. mod_rewrite question

5. followup to differences between 9013 and 9005

6. alloca.h?

7. differences between 9013 and 9005 (plus some impressions)

8. Drivers

9. HP Deskjet 660C, HP Laserjet 5 SI NX; help needed

10. FWD: Wireless Broadcom GD

11. Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 vs. Broadcom BCM9430x

12. problem w/ broadcom wireless card 4319 rev 2 ...

13. problems w/ broadcom wireless 4319 rev2 ...