sorry, basics: my mouse goes wild

Post by Dzend » Tue, 16 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Dear friends,

Having installed slackware and XFreeR6 on my 486 PC, i have the
following problem with my 2-button mouse:
Declaring my mouse as Microsoft or MouseMan in the X config file,
the mousepointer only moves when i move my mouse quick and far
enough, but hardly in the direction i want it. Also sometimes menus
pop up, without clicking the mouse. With other configurations my mouse
does not respond at all.

I checked the following:
my mouse works ok under Windows
my mouse worked already ok under a previous slackware installation

Any ideas what goes wrong? Where can i find more help?

Thank you for your attention

Wolfgang Stoecher

Post by Tim Ke » Wed, 17 Jul 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: sorry, basics: my mouse goes wild
>Date: Mon, 15 Jul 1996 15:32:14 +0200
>Dear friends,
>Having installed slackware and XFreeR6 on my 486 PC, i have the
>following problem with my 2-button mouse:
>Declaring my mouse as Microsoft or MouseMan in the X config file,
>the mousepointer only moves when i move my mouse quick and far
>enough, but hardly in the direction i want it. Also sometimes menus
>pop up, without clicking the mouse. With other configurations my mouse
>does not respond at all.
>I checked the following:
>my mouse works ok under Windows
>my mouse worked already ok under a previous slackware installation
>Any ideas what goes wrong? Where can i find more help?

Sounds like the wrong mouse decode routine.  If you have gpm-1.00, there is a
neat little mousetest program, which does a good job of telling what kind of
mouse you have.  The 'have to move very fast' indicates that you need to
get the upper bits set to get any decode, so my guess would be that the mouse
is using 5-byte, and your driver uses 3-byte.  This happens on my cheapo mouse
when I switch the switch on the bottom.   Usually the driver re-syncs on the
mouse action (button press) byte, but occasionally it gets out of sync,
causing random buttons.Hope this helps.
tk

Post by AJ Richards » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Having installed slackware and XFreeR6 on my 486 PC, i have the
: following problem with my 2-button mouse:
: Declaring my mouse as Microsoft or MouseMan in the X config file,
: the mousepointer only moves when i move my mouse quick and far
: enough, but hardly in the direction i want it. Also sometimes menus
: pop up, without clicking the mouse. With other configurations my mouse
: does not respond at all.

If it's a busmouse, try the Busmouse HOWTO, at your local sunsite
mirror.  If it's a serial mouse, try the Serial Mouse mini-HOWTO,
at your local mirror or direct from http://www.veryComputer.com/

Your might need some of the more * configs set in your Xconfig
file - something like ClearDTR.  Look at the XF86Config man page
for details.

        Geoff

can't identify with that kind of work ethic.  http://www.veryComputer.com/~grs100

1. sorry, basics: my mouse goes wild

Dear friends,

having installed slackware and XFreeR6 on my 486, i have the following
problem with my two button mouse:
Declaring my mouse as Microsoft or MouseMan in the X config file, the
mousepointer only moves, if i move my mouse quick and far enough; still
the mousepointer does not go the direction i want it to go, but moves around
rather randomly. also menus pop up sometimes without clicking. When
clicking the mouse, nothing happens. With other configurations the
mousepointer does not respond at all.

i checked the following:
my mouse works fine under Windows,
my mouse worked fine in a previous installation of slackware and XFree.

Any ideas what goes wrong? Where can i find more help?

Thank you for your attention

Wolfgang Stoecher

2. FUD-Buster: Linux Facts

3. acpi-polling: mouse goes wild

4. SHOUT OUT for help with job search, Vancouver, BC, Canada -- UNIX Sys/Net Admin

5. Wild Microsoft Mouse Port Compatible Mouse

6. corrupt cd-rom!??please help!

7. Catalog server going wild?

8. Shared memory - SHMMIN & SHMMAX?

9. HTTPD processes going wild

10. URGENT HELP! My linux box has gone wild!

11. Server Going Wild

12. AIC7(censored) card gone wild?

13. getty for modem dialin goes wild