How to invalidate a modem under Linux ?

Post by richard Leo » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I installed Suse7.0 on my PC which has
a 3COM Etherlink III (3C509) Lan Card
and a PCI modem V90 (a winmodem !)

Everything goes right except the ping command
(in the two way) :  the response IP packets seem
to be received by the modem et not the Lan Card

When I remove the modem, all is OK.

I need nevertheless the modem which is used by
a Windows98 partition. I don't use the winmodem
under linux.

What should I do to invalidate the winmodem
under linux ?

Could somebody help me ?

Thank You for your answer
Richard Leou

How to invalidate a modem under Linux ?

Post by H Dziardzi » Wed, 22 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I installed Suse7.0 on my PC which has
>a 3COM Etherlink III (3C509) Lan Card
>and a PCI modem V90 (a winmodem !)

>Everything goes right except the ping command
>(in the two way) :  the response IP packets seem
>to be received by the modem et not the Lan Card

>When I remove the modem, all is OK.

>I need nevertheless the modem which is used by
>a Windows98 partition. I don't use the winmodem
>under linux.

>What should I do to invalidate the winmodem
>under linux ?

>Could somebody help me ?

>Thank You for your answer
>Richard Leou

It sounds like the modem is not a winlessmodem?  Not all PCI
modems are such. It also seems the default route is set to the
PPP (modem).  There can only be one default route.  The net and
PPP HowTo's explain this.

How to invalidate a modem under Linux ?

Post by richard Leo » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
Thanks for your help.

I followed your advice but the cause seem relevant to
firmware : linux commands don't show any thing odd.
ifconfig displays 2 interfaces, eth0 and lo0
netstat  displays 2 routes too : eth0 and lo0
              (nothing on ppp0 anywhere)
             the default route is eth0 !

I investigate now on fimrware : i suspect the fact that my Lan card
is an ISA card so my PCI-modem, which uses IRQ-share protocol,
doesn't recognize ISA component.
Linux lspci command says that the WinModem uses IRQ-10
and MS-Windows98-system-Info utility says that EtherlinkIII uses IRQ-10
too !
I'll keep you informed about my researches.

Regards,
Richard Leou

H Dziardziel a crit :

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> I investigate now on fimrware : i suspect the fact that my Lan card
> is an ISA card so my PCI-modem, which uses IRQ-share protocol,
> doesn't recognize ISA component.
> Linux lspci command says that the WinModem uses IRQ-10
> and MS-Windows98-system-Info utility says that EtherlinkIII uses
> IRQ-10 too !
> > >I installed Suse7.0 on my PC which has
> > >a 3COM Etherlink III (3C509) Lan Card
> > >and a PCI modem V90 (a winmodem !)

3c509 is really an ISA card and unable to share IRQ with a PCI card. You
should do the following:

enter your cmos-setup at boot.
Somewhere in there there is a setting called something like PCI/PNP
settings. In there you should be able to tell your BIOS to reserve IRQ10
for ISA only. The next time you reboot your PCI card will get another
IRQ.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback: