Crystal Sound Driver

Post by Martin Maa » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:06:35

Hi.

I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 and everything but sound works. I cannot
find the driver for the sound system though which would be a Crystal
Semiconductor thingy (the machine is an IBM Aptiva). I read somewhere that
the driver would be on disk number 3 but I cannot find it there either (or
I just don't know what to look for).

I am quite new to Linux. Can anyone point me in the right direction to get
the sound to work please?

Martin.

Crystal Sound Driver

Post by Dances With Crow » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:40:30

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:06:35 +0100, Martin Maat staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 and everything but sound works. I
> cannot find the driver for the sound system though which would be a
> Crystal Semiconductor thingy

You sure about that?  If you got the "Crystal" info from the Windows
Device Mangler, don't trust it.  That piece of software lies like a rug
when it comes to soundcards; it said my Ensoniq 1371 was a Crystal.

Quote:> I am quite new to Linux. Can anyone point me in the right direction to
> get the sound to work please?

If Mandrake didn't autoconfigure it, you'll have to do it yourself.
Hope your soundcard is on the PCI bus.  Post the output of "lspci -vv |
grep -A6 audio".  If it says something like

00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
[snip for clarity]
        Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11

...then you have a Crystal 46xx soundcard on the PCI bus, and it has a
valid ISA IRQ.  All you need to do is execute "modprobe cs46xx" as root.
Post the output of "lspci -vv | grep -A6 audio" whatever happens.

If it says the soundcard has IRQ 0, you need to go into your machine's
BIOS Setup and look for an option called "PnP OS Installed" or "Quick
Boot".  Set either or both to "NO", reboot, and if Mandrake runs a
hardware autodetection program on boot, it'll probably detect the card
and set up everything automagically.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /    mail: TRAP + SPAN don't belong
http://www.brainbench.com     /                Hire me!

Crystal Sound Driver

Post by Martin Maa » Thu, 26 Feb 2004 22:15:54

>> I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 and everything but sound works. I
>> cannot find the driver for the sound system though which would be a
>> Crystal Semiconductor thingy

> You sure about that?

No, it might as well have been Windows lying as you say. I did search the
motherboard with a flash light and I did not find a chip labeled Chrystal.
The board has an Ali chip set, it may have integrated sound. But is Windows
doesn't see the difference, I assume it would be compatible with the
Chrystal stuff, right?

Quote:> If Mandrake didn't autoconfigure it, you'll have to do it yourself.
> Hope your soundcard is on the PCI bus.

Well... Probably. It is not a separate card though.

Quote:> Post the output of "lspci -vv |
> grep -A6 audio".  If it says something like

> 00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24
> [snip for clarity]
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11

> ...then you have a Crystal 46xx soundcard on the PCI bus, and it has a
> valid ISA IRQ.  All you need to do is execute "modprobe cs46xx" as root.
> Post the output of "lspci -vv | grep -A6 audio" whatever happens.

I didnn't seem to have lspci. I did a search on / and subdirectories and
nothing came up. But on the internet I found an instruction to download and
install it.

http://www.tonywhitmore.co.uk/core/pciutilsmore.html

It worked, I'm so proud. This is what is says when I run it without any

00:00.0 Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1531 [Aladdin IV] (rev b3)
00:02.0 ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]
(rev 07)
00:04.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage II+ 215G
TB [Mach64 GTB] (rev 9a)
00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/81
39C/8139C+ (rev 10)
00:0b.0 IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev 20)
00:0d.0 USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)

Running it with the options you proposed doesn't give any output at all. So
that means there is no sound on the PCI bus?

Quote:> If it says the soundcard has IRQ 0, you need to go into your machine's
> BIOS Setup and look for an option called "PnP OS Installed" or "Quick
> Boot".  Set either or both to "NO", reboot, and if Mandrake runs a
> hardware autodetection program on boot, it'll probably detect the card
> and set up everything automagically.

I will try the quick boot and PnP OS settings in the BIOS, see if it makes a
difference. I could push in an old sound card as a last resort, it doesn't
seem right though since the sound system is there and it works (in Windows
that is).

Thanks a lot so far.

Martin.

Crystal Sound Driver

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 27 Feb 2004 09:41:02

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:15:54 +0100, Martin Maat staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

>>> I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 and everything but sound works. I
>>> cannot find the driver for the sound system though which would be a
>>> Crystal Semiconductor thingy
>> You sure about that?
> No, it might as well have been Windows lying as you say. I did search
> the motherboard with a flash light and I did not find a chip labeled
> Chrystal.  The board has an Ali chip set, it may have integrated
> sound. But is Windows doesn't see the difference, I assume it would be
> compatible with the Chrystal stuff, right?

Never assume anything.  Windows lies like a rug when it comes to sound
cards.

>> If Mandrake didn't autoconfigure it, you'll have to do it yourself.
>> Hope your soundcard is on the PCI bus.
> Well... Probably. It is not a separate card though.
>> Post the output of "lspci -vv | grep -A6 audio".
> I didnn't seem to have lspci. I did a search on / and subdirectories
> and nothing came up. But on the internet I found an instruction to
> download and install it.  It worked, I'm so proud. This is what is
> says when I run it without any options:

> Host bridge: ALi Corporation M1531 [Aladdin IV] (rev b3)
> ISA bridge: ALi Corporation M1533 PCI to ISA Bridge [Aladdin IV]
> VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage II+ 215G
> Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C
> IDE interface: ALi Corporation M5229 IDE (rev 20)
> USB Controller: ALi Corporation USB 1.1 Controller (rev 03)

Your sound chip is on the ISA bus.  This is a pain as detection of ISA
hardware is kind of a Black Art.

Quote:> I will try the quick boot and PnP OS settings in the BIOS, see if it
> makes a difference. I could push in an old sound card as a last
> resort, it doesn't seem right though since the sound system is there
> and it works (in Windows that is).

Nuts... well, try the following commands:

modprobe sound
modprobe opl3 io=0x388
modprobe cs4232 irq=5 io=0x530 dma=1 dma2=0 mpuio=0x330 mpuirq=9

(try 0x534 if 0x530 doesn't work.)

This worked for me on a couple of machines with Crystal sound chips on
the ISA bus.  If you try both versions of the modprobe cs4232 command
and neither works, you probably don't have a cs4232-compatible sound
chip.  I don't know much about detecting/probing ISA hardware because I
stopped using ISA hardware a couple of years back.  HTH,