Which is better: DPT 2144UW or the BusLogic 958?

Which is better: DPT 2144UW or the BusLogic 958?

Post by Jeffrey Wiegle » Thu, 10 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Time to buy a new motherboard... Which means I need a new SCSI
controller since my last one was built into the board.  grrr.

Up until now I've only had Adaptec controllers but I've had problems
getting maximum performance from the Adaptec controllers because of the
device driver.  So I wanted to switch to something that provides better
performance and possibly better supported device drivers for linux.

I'm looking for a high performance Ultra/Wide controller.
The list of available controllers looks to be:
  Mylex (BusLogic) 958
  DPT PM2144UW
  NCR53C875
  AHA-2940UW

I'm leaning towards the Mylex controller or the DPT board (though the
DPT is rather expensive at $430.00.  Is there a big difference between
the PM2044UW and the PM2144UW that makes it cost effective?).

My main concerns are Performance followed by Driver Support and lastly
cost (well for less than $500.00).

Basically, given the above contraints, what would be your suggestions as
to which SCSI controller would provide the best performance?  The DPT
looks nice for its upgradeability but I haven't heard anything bad about
the Buslogic controller either.

There should be some sort of SCSI benchmark page comparing the different
controllers available.  It would make this decision a lot easier.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions on this subject,

- Jeff Wiegley

:
: I'm leaning towards the Mylex controller or the DPT board (though the
: DPT is rather expensive at $430.00.  Is there a big difference between
: the PM2044UW and the PM2144UW that makes it cost effective?).

PM2044UW uses Motorola 68000 cpu on board and PM2144UW uses 68020 cpu.  I
don't think it will make a big difference unless you are running a file
server.  Personally, I recommend DPT especially for multi-tasking OS like
Linux.  I'm running a machine with 3 drives, one is the root, the others
are swapdisk and my home directory.  DPT feels much much faster than
Adaptec 2490.  I think it is due to more sophisticated command queuing
and don't think that the defference will show up in usual disk I/O
benchmarks.  I'm using Smartcache III, a generation older DPT.  In
addition to superior performance, their support is nothing to compare.

--

Which is better: DPT 2144UW or the BusLogic 958?

Post by Keith Smi » Sun, 13 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Time to buy a new motherboard... Which means I need a new SCSI
>controller since my last one was built into the board.  grrr.
>I'm leaning towards the Mylex controller or the DPT board (though the
>DPT is rather expensive at $430.00.  Is there a big difference between
>the PM2044UW and the PM2144UW that makes it cost effective?).

Buslogic cards are generally very solid performers.

I don't see much difference between the X1XX and X0XX DPT cards.

I'm running a 2024/32MB cache (parity) in this box.  My big SCO server
runs a 3224/32MB cache.  I've played with most of the 2X2X (SmartCache
III) and 2X4X (Smartcache IV) series cards, and daughters.

Cache is a HUMONGOUS win but with Linux there is a problem.  Increase
_ALL_ your timeouts in the SCSI code by a factor of _10_.  Just find
every one of the references (about 5 or 6) in ~/drivers/scsi/scsi* and
add a zero to the end of the number.  The ioctl timeouts are especially
critical.  Jazz drives are especially bad with this.  Without the
timeout increases mke2fs on a Jazz drive will lock the machine up tight
if the DPT has cache.  The problem is some ioctl's are syncronous by
nature and so the DPT can stall for a LONG time to do a (for example)
enable eject button ioctl while it flushes the cache (to the tune of 16
or 32 or more MB's)

With the price of drives what they are, I'd suggest mirroring some 4G
drives for a big server.  Big, big performance win.  Was running
Buslogic & switched to DPT/16MB and got almost a 50% improvement (60
hour database job to 35 hours, finally squeezed in a weekend), then
mirrored the 4G Hawks (5400RPM), trimmed another 7 hours to 25, finally
added another 16M and swapped hawks for Micropolis 7200's and dropped
the operation to a hair over 18 hours.

Newer 2X4X RAID's will take non-parity SIMM.  Then again do you really
NEED all that disk performance?  Are you running a NEWS server or
something?
--
Keith Smith      <Public Access #'s (910) 423-7389/7391 [V.34]>
Digital Designs

1. Which is better: DPT 2144UW or the BusLogic 958?

[...]

2. Is it Possible......

3. where to buy BusLogic BT-958 or KT-958

4. For experienced linux lovers

5. sendmail

6. Better for Linux? Adaptec 2940UW or BusLogic 958

7. Xfree86 & #9 128 Imagine

8. ANNOUNCEMENT: BusLogic FlashPoint LW/BT-958 Upgrade Program

9. Mylex (Buslogic) BT-950 vs. BT-958

10. Buslogic 958 or 950

11. Buslogic 958 weirdness

12. Booting from a BusLogic 958 scsi disk