yum and Nvidia

Post by Jeanette Russ » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:05:33

How do I get the drivers for my Nvidia card with Yum?  I added the
repository that had nvidia stuff at livna.org but I don't see the stuff in
yum for Nvidia?

I can browse their web page and see a bunch of nvidia rpms but they are all
586 and 586 stuff and I am running a P 3 and there are a lot of them and I
don't know what I need?

Anyone know?

Thanks

yum and Nvidia

Post by General Schvantzkop » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:27:35

> How do I get the drivers for my Nvidia card with Yum?  I added the
> repository that had nvidia stuff at livna.org but I don't see the stuff in
> yum for Nvidia?

> I can browse their web page and see a bunch of nvidia rpms but they are all
> 586 and 586 stuff and I am running a P 3 and there are a lot of them and I
> don't know what I need?

> Anyone know?

> Thanks

Have you enabled the repositories? In /etc/yum.com there is an enabled
flag for each repository. In Yumex you can temporarily enable a repository
which I think is a better way to do it.

[greysector]
name=Grey Sector RPMs for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/$releasever/$basearch/
#mirrorlist=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/mirrorlist-$releasever
gpgkey=http://rpm.greysector.net/greysector-pubkey.txt
enabled=1

[greysector-all]
name=Grey Sector RPMs for all Fedora Core releases - $basearch
baseurl=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/all/$basearch/
#mirrorlist=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/mirrorlist-all
gpgkey=http://rpm.greysector.net/greysector-pubkey.txt
enabled=1

yum and Nvidia

Post by Jeanette Russ » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:08:02

Yes I got them from the Fedora site and added them

I found stuff on Nvidia's site but its really complicated.  There is a
utility to write the xserver configuration file and I can't even figure out
how to get that to run.  I guess its over my head.  I need like a step by
step guide if yum can't do it.  Or someone who has done it in Core 5.  This
is crazy if you can't get non gpl stuff in the core then you have to make it
easier for users to be able to install something like a driver for a common
video card

>> How do I get the drivers for my Nvidia card with Yum?  I added the
>> repository that had nvidia stuff at livna.org but I don't see the stuff
>> in
>> yum for Nvidia?

>> I can browse their web page and see a bunch of nvidia rpms but they are
>> all
>> 586 and 586 stuff and I am running a P 3 and there are a lot of them and
>> don't know what I need?

>> Anyone know?

>> Thanks

> Have you enabled the repositories? In /etc/yum.com there is an enabled
> flag for each repository. In Yumex you can temporarily enable a repository
> which I think is a better way to do it.

> [greysector]
> name=Grey Sector RPMs for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
> baseurl=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/$releasever/$basearch/
> #mirrorlist=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/mirrorlist-$releasever
> gpgkey=http://rpm.greysector.net/greysector-pubkey.txt
> enabled=1

> [greysector-all]
> name=Grey Sector RPMs for all Fedora Core releases - $basearch
> baseurl=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/all/$basearch/
> #mirrorlist=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/mirrorlist-all
> gpgkey=http://rpm.greysector.net/greysector-pubkey.txt
> enabled=1

yum and Nvidia

Post by david walcrof » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:40:15

> Yes I got them from the Fedora site and added them

> I found stuff on Nvidia's site but its really complicated.  There is a
> utility to write the xserver configuration file and I can't even figure out
> how to get that to run.  I guess its over my head.  I need like a step by
> step guide if yum can't do it.  Or someone who has done it in Core 5.  This
> is crazy if you can't get non gpl stuff in the core then you have to make it
> easier for users to be able to install something like a driver for a common
> video card

>>> How do I get the drivers for my Nvidia card with Yum?  I added the
>>> repository that had nvidia stuff at livna.org but I don't see the stuff
>>> in
>>> yum for Nvidia?

>>> I can browse their web page and see a bunch of nvidia rpms but they are
>>> all
>>> 586 and 586 stuff and I am running a P 3 and there are a lot of them and
>>> don't know what I need?

>>> Anyone know?

>>> Thanks
>> Have you enabled the repositories? In /etc/yum.com there is an enabled
>> flag for each repository. In Yumex you can temporarily enable a repository
>> which I think is a better way to do it.

>> [greysector]
>> name=Grey Sector RPMs for Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch
>> baseurl=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/$releasever/$basearch/
>> #mirrorlist=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/mirrorlist-$releasever
>> gpgkey=http://rpm.greysector.net/greysector-pubkey.txt
>> enabled=1

>> [greysector-all]
>> name=Grey Sector RPMs for all Fedora Core releases - $basearch
>> baseurl=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/all/$basearch/
>> #mirrorlist=http://rpm.greysector.net/yum/mirrorlist-all
>> gpgkey=http://rpm.greysector.net/greysector-pubkey.txt
>> enabled=1

If you use yum try '# yum --enablerepo=livna install
kmod-nvidia-1.0.8762-2.2.6.16_1.[kernel IE 2133]_FC5.i686.rpm '

or if your using yumex,check the livna box hit 'refresh' and it should
show the nvidia files in 'install'

   david

yum and Nvidia

Post by General Schvantzkop » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:52:07

If you use Nvidia's installer it's very easy. Just do the following.

1) Download the Nvidia installers,

NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run for 32 bit systems
NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-1.0-8762-pkg2.run for 64 bit systems.

2) Edit /etc/inittab so that you boot into command line mode
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

3) reboot

4) su to root

5) Execute the Nvidia script, answer yes to all of the questions

sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run

6) Edit /etc/inittab
id:5:initdefault:

7) reboot

This is more complicated then doing it with RPM but you'll have fewer
problems. Third party repositories lag behind the official repositories
and they also tend to cause dependency conflicts.

yum and Nvidia

Post by Jeanette Russ » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:39:47

Ok I got the Nvidia stuff installed so all is well with that thanks to the
General.  But I was expecting I could go higher resolution now and I am
still stuck at 800x600 and I know this monitor and card should be able to do
1024 x 768 which would be a lot better.  I was thinking the driver was the
problem?

Quote:> How do I get the drivers for my Nvidia card with Yum?  I added the
> repository that had nvidia stuff at livna.org but I don't see the stuff in
> yum for Nvidia?

> I can browse their web page and see a bunch of nvidia rpms but they are
> all 586 and 586 stuff and I am running a P 3 and there are a lot of them
> and I don't know what I need?

> Anyone know?

> Thanks

yum and Nvidia

Post by General Schvantzkop » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:48:38

> Ok I got the Nvidia stuff installed so all is well with that thanks to the
> General.  But I was expecting I could go higher resolution now and I am
> still stuck at 800x600 and I know this monitor and card should be able to do
> 1024 x 768 which would be a lot better.  I was thinking the driver was the
> problem?

>> How do I get the drivers for my Nvidia card with Yum?  I added the
>> repository that had nvidia stuff at livna.org but I don't see the stuff in
>> yum for Nvidia?

>> I can browse their web page and see a bunch of nvidia rpms but they are
>> all 586 and 586 stuff and I am running a P 3 and there are a lot of them
>> and I don't know what I need?

>> Anyone know?

>> Thanks

Fedora has a control panel that will allow you to change your resolution,
it's System/Administration/Display.

yum and Nvidia

Post by Jeanette Russ » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 11:51:11

Quote:

> Fedora has a control panel that will allow you to change your resolution,
> it's System/Administration/Display.

Actually thats what I am using and it tops out at 800 x 600

not sure why?

yum and Nvidia

Post by Sentinel » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 13:05:44

>>Fedora has a control panel that will allow you to change your resolution,

>>it's System/Administration/Display.

> Actually thats what I am using and it tops out at 800 x 600

> not sure why?

Its because the default setting in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is set
to only 800x600 generally it looks something like this:

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Screen0"
     Device         "Device0"
     Monitor        "Monitor0"
     DefaultDepth    24
     SubSection     "Display"
         Depth       24
         Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
     EndSubSection
EndSection

the "DefaultDepth" of your xorg.conf file may be only set to 16 and the
"Modes" needs to have the higer res placed in there.

btw you might have more than just what Ive shown here as I have modified
my xorg.conf file due to having a card and monitor that will do these
kind of settings without any problems - so far ;-)

cheers
SentinelT

yum and Nvidia

Post by Jeanette Russ » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 14:59:27

Quote:

> Its because the default setting in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is set
> to only 800x600 generally it looks something like this:

> Section "Screen"
>      Identifier     "Screen0"
>      Device         "Device0"
>      Monitor        "Monitor0"
>      DefaultDepth    24
>      SubSection     "Display"
>          Depth       24
>          Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>      EndSubSection
> EndSection

> the "DefaultDepth" of your xorg.conf file may be only set to 16 and the
> "Modes" needs to have the higer res placed in there.

> btw you might have more than just what Ive shown here as I have modified
> my xorg.conf file due to having a card and monitor that will do these
> kind of settings without any problems - so far ;-)

> cheers
> SentinelT

Ok I see that 800x600 is the max in xorg.conf.  Can I just add the next
resolution in there or will that muck things up?

Thanks

Jeanette

yum and Nvidia

Post by General Schvantzkop » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 21:04:35

>> Its because the default setting in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is set
>> to only 800x600 generally it looks something like this:

>> Section "Screen"
>>      Identifier     "Screen0"
>>      Device         "Device0"
>>      Monitor        "Monitor0"
>>      DefaultDepth    24
>>      SubSection     "Display"
>>          Depth       24
>>          Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>>      EndSubSection
>> EndSection

>> the "DefaultDepth" of your xorg.conf file may be only set to 16 and the
>> "Modes" needs to have the higer res placed in there.

>> btw you might have more than just what Ive shown here as I have modified
>> my xorg.conf file due to having a card and monitor that will do these
>> kind of settings without any problems - so far ;-)

>> cheers
>> SentinelT

> Ok I see that 800x600 is the max in xorg.conf.  Can I just add the next
> resolution in there or will that muck things up?

> Thanks

> Jeanette

In the Display control panel have you gone to the hardware section and
selected your monitor type? If you can't find your monitor in the list you
can select one of the Generic LCD or CRT displays that have the same
capabilities as your display. You can also add the resolution you want by
hand to xorg.conf.

yum and Nvidia

Post by Sentinel » Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:18:55

>>Its because the default setting in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file is set
>>to only 800x600 generally it looks something like this:

>>Section "Screen"
>>     Identifier     "Screen0"
>>     Device         "Device0"
>>     Monitor        "Monitor0"
>>     DefaultDepth    24
>>     SubSection     "Display"
>>         Depth       24
>>         Modes      "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
>>     EndSubSection
>>EndSection

>>the "DefaultDepth" of your xorg.conf file may be only set to 16 and the
>>"Modes" needs to have the higer res placed in there.

>>btw you might have more than just what Ive shown here as I have modified
>>my xorg.conf file due to having a card and monitor that will do these
>>kind of settings without any problems - so far ;-)

>>cheers
>>SentinelT

> Ok I see that 800x600 is the max in xorg.conf.  Can I just add the next
> resolution in there or will that muck things up?

> Thanks

> Jeanette

Yep you should be able to just add it (I would do this from the CLI) but
of course just as a precaution it would be an idea to back up the
xorg.conf file first :) after you have added it you should then be able
to restart Xserver and away you go.

SentinelT

yum and Nvidia

Post by Jeanette Russ » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 02:01:53

  > In the Display control panel have you gone to the hardware section and

Quote:> selected your monitor type? If you can't find your monitor in the list you
> can select one of the Generic LCD or CRT displays that have the same
> capabilities as your display. You can also add the resolution you want by
> hand to xorg.conf.

Yes the monitor is a sony one and I was able to select the proper monitor

I guess I will just try to edit xorg.conf I just wanted to make sure it
wouldn't mess anything up if I did it

Thanks

Jeanette

yum and Nvidia

Post by General Schvantzkop » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 02:14:31

>   > In the Display control panel have you gone to the hardware section and
>> selected your monitor type? If you can't find your monitor in the list you
>> can select one of the Generic LCD or CRT displays that have the same
>> capabilities as your display. You can also add the resolution you want by
>> hand to xorg.conf.

> Yes the monitor is a sony one and I was able to select the proper monitor

> I guess I will just try to edit xorg.conf I just wanted to make sure it
> wouldn't mess anything up if I did it

> Thanks

> Jeanette

Do you know what resolution your monitor is capable of? If the control
panel has the wrong settings for your monitor you can use the generic
display selections.

yum and Nvidia

Post by Jeanette Russ » Sat, 24 Jun 2006 04:03:02

> Yep you should be able to just add it (I would do this from the CLI) but
> of course just as a precaution it would be an idea to back up the
> xorg.conf file first :) after you have added it you should then be able
> to restart Xserver and away you go.

> SentinelT

Ok that worked great I got a lot more desktop now thanks guys.

Now if I can fix my sound card all will be well in Linux Land