Buslogic SCSI options -gt 1 Gig and partitioning

Buslogic SCSI options -gt 1 Gig and partitioning

Post by Andy Hea » Mon, 11 Dec 1995 04:00:00

SCSI Partitioning
-----------------

Am I doing this right ?

I have a Buslogic 445C, 2 ide drives and one IBM Pegasus 1 Gig (I think its
1050 Meg or
thereabouts) SCSI drive.

I have extended disk translation  (on the Buslogic) disabled.
Linux kernel is on the scsi drive in partition sda1 (see output below).

Should I have the extended disk translation enabled ?  Am I storing up trouble
by not
doing so ?  I thought that this option (ie > 1 Gig) was a bit like Logical
Block
addressing for ide drives.  Is that right ?  Will there be any trouble getting
to cylinders > 1024 ?

Everything SEEMS to be wqorking ok, but i note that sda1 is below 1024
cylinders.
My swap partition (sda2) straddles the 1024 cyclinder point, but it isn't
often in use
(i have 20 megs ram).  Will there be problems when swap space IS in use ?

I'm running a home compiled 1.2.8 kernel (well actually, i did it at work,
where
I run 1.2.8), but much of my system (including lilo)
dates back to 1.1.59 and is a mixture of Slackware1.2 and Slackware2.1

fdisk output
Disk /dev/sda: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 1034 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1            1        1     1001  1025008   83  Linux native
/dev/sda2         1002     1002     1034    33792   82  Linux swap

Please could you COPY replies to

as well as the newsgroup (my newsgroup access isn't too reliable)

Andy

Buslogic SCSI options -gt 1 Gig and partitioning

Post by Alan P. Kennedy, Sr » Wed, 13 Dec 1995 04:00:00

 Andy>  SCSI Partitioning -----------------
 Andy>
 Andy> I have extended disk translation (on the Buslogic) disabled.
 Andy> Linux kernel is on the scsi drive in partition sda1 (see output
 Andy> below).

Keep it like that works fine here. Don't use logical translation
unless you plan to DOG (dos).

Another benefit is that when you change controllers you won't have
reformat. If you had extended disk translation enabled you would have
to reformat for different controllers :-(. I learned this the hard
way. Different controllers have different logical translation schemes.
Isn't this very logical. :->

Alan
--
Alan P. Kennedy, Sr.

1. Problem: > 1 gigabyte option (buslogics SCSI), Linux fdisk

: I have a Pentium 100, with a Buslogics SCSI board and a 2 gigabyte
: Seagate disk.  I've installed Win 95 in the first partiton, and wanted
: to install Linux as well.  To be able to use disk space above 1
: gigabyte, I needed to to turn on the "> 1 gigabyte" option in the
: Buslogics.

Linux will access the entire disk just fine, without any strange trickery.
Usually, these options function as patches on BIOS calls, and hence do
not help Linux at all.
If you are happy with Win '95 in the first 1000MB, a Linux boot partition
of 10MB (below the 1024 cylinder limit), and the rest a Linux partition,
then all is fine without "> 1 gigabyte" options.

2. shared objects and executables

3. Buslogic BT958 & 4.4 Gig Ulta Wide SCSI Drive

4. Remote time synchronization for Sparc20.

5. <><><> MOUNTING EXTENDED PARTITION <><><>

6. Linux man pages and 'whatis' database

7. >137 Gig Hard drives / 2.4.18 and Maxtor 160 Gig HDD

8. Could anyone translate this?

9. Does Buslogic BT-542B SCSI card use Buslogic driver?

10. Large NFS partition > 2 gig; Solaris NFS server.

11. can we not partition for > 2 GIG ??

12. Partition > 2 Gig

13. SCSI AHA-1742 and >Gig Drives