funniest printer-problem

Post by pete » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

I have a hp-deskjet510 which run fine for years on all my computers.
Now I decided to put it to my old linux-server again with a gigabyte-
586sg-mainboard.

and now the following thing happens:

when plugging in the parallelport the busy-light of the printer turns on
immediately and I can do nothing (no reset, no testingpage, no changing
catridge and no printing of course). Ok maybe wrong port-mode or wrong
adress/IRQ.
So I enter the bios-setup and IMMEDIATELY AFTER ENTERING THE BIOS the
busy-light goes off and the printer goes to normal mode. when leaving the
bios again (independent of the port-settings I selected: I tried all
adresses/irqs and portmodes from abraham to zacharias) the printer
switch to its * busy-light-on-mode again !!

what the heck is going on here ?

when* a canon-bj200 to the same cable this one seem to have a
quite normal behavior.

peter

-----------------

ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

funniest printer-problem

Post by pete » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

I called HP-support today (I found the number on their website - section
"support for products with no warranty left").
friendly voice "how can I help you" I tell the story "..." "ok, I put you
trough" This went four times then I was forced to call a different number
and then I ran into an electronic "press 4 to ..." system and after my
telephoncounter showed up 40ATS (~3US$) I was told that requests for
products with no warranty left costs ATS300 (~US$23) per call ! free
support can only be found on their webpage ...

peter

-----------------

ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

funniest printer-problem

Post by A Unique Nam » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Sounds better than no support for old products to me.

>I called HP-support today (I found the number on their website - section
>"support for products with no warranty left").
>friendly voice "how can I help you" I tell the story "..." "ok, I put you
>trough" This went four times then I was forced to call a different number
>and then I ran into an electronic "press 4 to ..." system and after my
>telephoncounter showed up 40ATS (~3US$) I was told that requests for
>products with no warranty left costs ATS300 (~US$23) per call ! free
>support can only be found on their webpage ...

>peter

>-----------------

>ANTISPAM
>goldfisch.atat.at

patrickat*highwaydotnet

funniest printer-problem

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

> when plugging in the parallelport the busy-light of the printer turns
> on immediately

You shouldn't connect and disconnect parallel devices with power on. I
have burnt a controller board myself by doing this when the computer and
printer wasn't grounded to the same ground.

Quote:> when* a canon-bj200 to the same cable this one seem to have a
> quite normal behavior.

Then your parallel port is still working. Does the hp still work with
another computer?

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:

funniest printer-problem

Post by pete » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

says...

Quote:> > when* a canon-bj200 to the same cable this one seem to have a
> > quite normal behavior.

> Then your parallel port is still working. Does the hp still work with
> another computer?

yes, it does !!
I now run it on another machine with an abit-board and face no problem !

the funniest thing is: I remembered that I already had the printer
connected to the other machine about a year ago for a few month and had
no troubles.

--

peter

-----------------

ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

funniest printer-problem

Post by s.. » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

?
?I called HP-support today (I found the number on their website - section
?"support for products with no warranty left").
?friendly voice "how can I help you" I tell the story "..." "ok, I put you
?trough" This went four times then I was forced to call a different number
?and then I ran into an electronic "press 4 to ..." system and after my
?telephoncounter showed up 40ATS (~3US$) I was told that requests for
?products with no warranty left costs ATS300 (~US$23) per call ! free
?support can only be found on their webpage ...
?
?
?peter

Hello Peter,

Is it possible to email HP with a question, and get a response?
Is that what you meant by free support? If it is possible, can
you please point me to the URL.

-Kenneth

If you email please remove the "SPAMLESS."

funniest printer-problem

Post by pete » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello Peter ;)

no, of course not !! the free websupport is a page with a single
phonennumber. if you call this, then you get redirected 10 times and
spend a lot of money and then you get informed that you have to pay for
each support.
and so : hp-support sucks.

Quote:

--

peter

-----------------

ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

funniest printer-problem

Post by Art Becke » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>> Is it possible to email HP with a question, and get a response? <<

No, HP does not provide e-mail support. I tried, and got back a form letter
to that effect.

    << Art >>

funniest printer-problem

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

> > Then your parallel port is still working. Does the hp still work
> > with another computer?
> yes, it does !!
> the funniest thing is: I remembered that I already had the printer
> connected to the other machine about a year ago for a few month and
> had no troubles.

Maybe some settings for the parallel port has changed in the CMOS setup
since then. Try some different settings like SPP, EPP or ECP and see if
it helps.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

funniest printer-problem

Post by pete » Mon, 10 May 1999 04:00:00

says...

> Maybe some settings for the parallel port has changed in the CMOS setup
> since then. Try some different settings like SPP, EPP or ECP and see if
> it helps.

> regards Henrik

I really tried all port-modes and all io-adresses/irq.
I solved the problem by taking a canon-printer that does his job well.

thanks for all your help.

peter

-----------------

ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

1. The funniest thing I have ever read

This is a genuine quote:

What hardware and software is Windows95.com running on?

We use Pentium Pro computers running the BSDI UNIX operating system with
Apache Web server software. Our servers are connected to the Internet via
multi-homed T3 connections.

--
Luke Elson

Quake II:SPACE
ICQ: 10287333
If at first you don't succeed, give up. There's no point making a fool of
yourself.

2. no telnet

3. World's funniest joke???

4. NFS returns strange errors!!!

5. This has got to be the funniest thing...

6. Command produces no output if run fom cron.

7. Funniest Geek Joke Ever!

8. Avoiding IPV6 link local address after boot

9. Project problem - linux printer portProject problem - linux printer port

10. Printer problem, lpr: lp: unknown printer

11. Printer-problem

12. Printer Problem: Default page size resets after power outage on remote line printer