HP-Partition on MOD

Post by Wolfgang Ganzer » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

We have a Hewlett Packard 375 Series 9000 workstation (HP-UX 8.00) with
an Magneto-Optical drive. Now I want to read the MO cartridges on my
Linux PC with another MO drive. The drive can be accessed via SCSI-bus
but the partition table on the MO cartridge can not be read.

Were can I find a kernel patch for the support of the HFS (Hewlett
Packard File System)?

HP-Partition on MOD

Post by Mike Ferrar » Fri, 23 Aug 1996 04:00:00

> We have a Hewlett Packard 375 Series 9000 workstation (HP-UX 8.00) with
> an Magneto-Optical drive. Now I want to read the MO cartridges on my
> Linux PC with another MO drive. The drive can be accessed via SCSI-bus
> but the partition table on the MO cartridge can not be read.

> Were can I find a kernel patch for the support of the HFS (Hewlett
> Packard File System)?

Forget that approach. You have two choices ... read the header files
on the HP-UX machine, and reverse engineer the filesystem. I think
it's close to the berkeley FFS. Or, mount the MO's on an hpux machine,
and access them via NFS on the Linux box. There is no public implementation
of the HP-HFS filesystem that I know of. The only place there might be
is in the NetBSD camp, where they support the HP300 platforms. Try
http://www.netbsd.org/ (I think).

  Mike Ferrara M/S 4USS
  HP Microwave Instruments Div R&D
  1400 Fountain Grove Pkwy
  Santa Rosa, CA 95403-1799
  (707) 577-4479

PGP Key Fingerprint = EC F3 52 79 9C 00 0F 78  00 38 28 CC 72 3C 2D 1C

1. code alignment - mod 16 vs mod 4

As this may affect kernel efficiency, I thought I'd ask:  in my (Slackware)
1.0.9 kernel, the compiler obviously used an alignment of 16, but the loader
used 4.  So as you read through zSystem.map, for a while all the entry points
end in 4, then c, then 0...  If 16-byte alignment is worth doing, it's worth
doing right - this way just wastes space.  So I ask - is this still happening?

Another compilation thing - has anyone ever actually benchmarked kernel speed
with and without -fomit-frame-pointer?  I haven't, but I've looked at SIZE,
which is about 3% LARGER with -fomit...  Why?  Every frame reference is one
byte longer (the "s-i-b" byte - necessary to get references off of %esp).

Phil Jensen, happy full-screen-TECO user

2. X locked

3. Apache1.3.3 + Apache-SSL mod + fp-apache mod

4. Install FreeBSD 4.6 on software RAID?

5. Mod proxy or mod rewrite?

6. *** QUESTION ***

7. ADSM NT using HP Surestore Optical 40st Mod.C1150A.?

8. Please send me a working network.opt file anyone

9. Solaris 2.5 and MOD HP C1716T

10. Apache 1.2.6 on HP-UX 10.01 with mod-perl

11. reading Sun partitioned and ufs formatted MOD

12. Solaris 2.5.1 / HP JetAdmin D3.15 / HP JetDirect / Non-HP-Printer

13. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager