Server Connection through Cablevision Internet?

Server Connection through Cablevision Internet?

Post by Richard Spangenber » Wed, 19 Apr 2000 04:00:00

This may be a dumb question...

Is it possible to set up a linux server and connect it to the web through
your local cablevision internet cable modem.  I have a single static IP
address assigned to me.

Also, I have an old 386 machine I was planning to use as a server, would
this be adequate to use with linux, apache and a mysql database?

Rick

1. internet connection setup thru proxy

I'm accessing Internet thru my univ's server, which has a proxy
firewall.  No problem setuping up for the proxy with Netscape, but I
can't access with other applications like ICQ, IRC, etc.

In Windows we can use this program called AutoSocks which automatically
configures for such applications to have access thru the proxy.  Is
there a similar program for Linux?

2. filtering /var/mail by message age?

3. Linux gateway box hosting internet connection thru PPP for multiple machines

4. kernel couldn't get a free page

5. @home and internet connections thru cable

6. Recommended UNIX administration BOOKS

7. Sendmail & Internet mail thru POP3 server - How ?

8. IBM PCMCIA-CDROM-> Help?

9. Configuring Linux for internet access thru Proxy server

10. Internet Browsing thru Proxy server

11. linux thru "linux server" to internet

12. DHCP client not able to ping internet thru my linux NAT server

13. Running a home web server on cablevision optimum online service