Mutherboard Interrupts

Post by Pati Daviso » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:08:14

It may just be me and my stupidity, but I'm having serious problems when
trying to build up NEW servers with these frigging shared interrupts being
assigned by the board BIOS.

Is there a motherboard in the marketplace that allows through BIOS for us to
statically fix the interrupt for the PCI slots?

Mutherboard Interrupts

Post by Wild Wizar » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:35:02

> It may just be me and my stupidity, but I'm having serious problems when
> trying to build up NEW servers with these frigging shared interrupts being
> assigned by the board BIOS.

> Is there a motherboard in the marketplace that allows through BIOS for us
> to statically fix the interrupt for the PCI slots?

a hint PCI systems have 4 deafult irq's (A, B, C, D) these are in order as
you go along the PCI slots and repeat as necesary

--
You may be sure that when a man begins to call himself a "realist," he
is preparing to do something he is secretly ashamed of doing.

Mutherboard Interrupts

Post by Dances With Crow » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 22:56:29

On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:08:14 -0700, Pati Davison staggered into the
Black Sun and said:

Quote:> It may just be me and my stupidity, but I'm having serious problems
> when trying to build up NEW servers with these frigging shared
> interrupts being assigned by the board BIOS.

What symptoms do these problems create?  PCI devices that conform to specs
can share ISA IRQs without problems.  My main desktop machine had its
sound card sharing an IRQ with the NIC, my laptop has the USB chipset,
the sound card, and the PCMCIA controller on the same IRQ.  None of that
ever caused any problems.  The main thing to watch out for is that
having 2 devices with a lot of interrupt activity (SCSI cards, IDE RAID
cards, gigabit NICs) on the same ISA IRQ can reduce performance.

Quote:> Is there a motherboard in the marketplace that allows through BIOS for
> us to statically fix the interrupt for the PCI slots?

Just about all of the higher-end ATX boards I've seen allow you to do
that.  But I really think your problems lie elsewhere.  Fully describe the
hardware you're trying to use, fully describe the software config you're
using, then talk about the exact problems you're having.
http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for advice on describing
problems well.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

Mutherboard Interrupts

Post by Pati Daviso » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 01:56:13

Well thats helpful Wiz. How 'bout a splash of Pixie Dust so that I can
statically assign IRQs to the board components.

> > It may just be me and my stupidity, but I'm having serious problems when
> > trying to build up NEW servers with these frigging shared interrupts
being
> > assigned by the board BIOS.

> > Is there a motherboard in the marketplace that allows through BIOS for
us
> > to statically fix the interrupt for the PCI slots?

> a hint PCI systems have 4 deafult irq's (A, B, C, D) these are in order as
> you go along the PCI slots and repeat as necesary

> --
> You may be sure that when a man begins to call himself a "realist," he
> is preparing to do something he is secretly ashamed of doing.
>                 -- Sydney Harris

Mutherboard Interrupts

Post by Chris Co » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:34:31

> It may just be me and my stupidity, but I'm having serious problems when
> trying to build up NEW servers with these frigging shared interrupts being
> assigned by the board BIOS.

> Is there a motherboard in the marketplace that allows through BIOS for us to
> statically fix the interrupt for the PCI slots?

I haven't seen too many that let you control everything.  Abit comes to
mind (I think my BH6 allowed this... but not sure).  Chaining on IRQs
is according to spec... what specifically is causing you problems
(what hardware)?

Mutherboard Interrupts

Post by Pati Daviso » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 04:28:08

Well the box in question took a lightning hit list night and I will need to
replace it with somthing.

Any specific recommendations for a P4?

We will start from a new mutherboard and see shat happens.

Quote:> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 06:08:14 -0700, Pati Davison staggered into the
> Black Sun and said:
> > It may just be me and my stupidity, but I'm having serious problems
> > when trying to build up NEW servers with these frigging shared
> > interrupts being assigned by the board BIOS.

> What symptoms do these problems create?  PCI devices that conform to specs
> can share ISA IRQs without problems.  My main desktop machine had its
> sound card sharing an IRQ with the NIC, my laptop has the USB chipset,
> the sound card, and the PCMCIA controller on the same IRQ.  None of that
> ever caused any problems.  The main thing to watch out for is that
> having 2 devices with a lot of interrupt activity (SCSI cards, IDE RAID
> cards, gigabit NICs) on the same ISA IRQ can reduce performance.

> > Is there a motherboard in the marketplace that allows through BIOS for
> > us to statically fix the interrupt for the PCI slots?

> Just about all of the higher-end ATX boards I've seen allow you to do
> that.  But I really think your problems lie elsewhere.  Fully describe the
> hardware you're trying to use, fully describe the software config you're
> using, then talk about the exact problems you're having.
> http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for advice on describing
> problems well.

> --
> Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to
see
> Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
> http://www.brainbench.com     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
> -----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

1. NEx000 and 1.2.9: Interrupted while interrupts are masked!

i'm using the NEx000 ethernet driver (i have an E1000) and kernel
1.2.9.  while kernels before 1.2.5 or so used to crash with this card,
this one has been perfectly stable.  however, i get the following
message in /var/adm/messages:

kernel: eth0: Interrupted while interrupts are masked! isr=0x1 imr=0x5.

i get many of these messages a day, perhaps 20, and sometimes grouped
together (middle of transfer?) just a few seconds apart.  however,
there are no problems -- just this odd message.  anyone have
any idea what's going on?
--
Stephen Farrell

                                http://128.135.108.36/

2. Rejecting mail senders

3. /var/log messages: eth0: interrupted while interrupts are masked!

4. Y2K and RedHat6.1

5. Is '/proc/interrupts' auto update when a interrupts come ?.

6. SCSI CD PLAYER

7. Interrupted while interrupts are masked!

8. : Programming in X?

9. switching to interrupt contex when no interrupts

10. Interrupted while interrupts are masked!

11. Locating interrupts RE /proc/interrupts

12. Slow Interrupt vs. Fast Interrupt

13. Pls Help - CPU Lock-up on Interrupt with Shared Interrupt Vector