CPU temperature monitoring: ACPI or lm-sensors?

CPU temperature monitoring: ACPI or lm-sensors?

Post by Shi Ji » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:45:25

Hi,

I need to monitor our machines' CPU temperature in case the AMD CPUs
burned. I have two choices, ACPI and lm-sensors. Both works for my P4
desktop and they give almost identical CPU temperature. But for some
reason I don't know ACPI is not working to those AMD machines. Any idea
why?

I haven't tried lm-sensors on AMD-CPU-machines but before I do that, I
want to ask: is there any preference between ACPI and lm-sensors? Which is
better? It seems to me that lm-sensors can monitor many voltages while
ACPI cannot. Maybe ACPI is more suitable for laptops?

Thanks a lot.

Shi

CPU temperature monitoring: ACPI or lm-sensors?

Post by Arno Wagne » Thu, 06 Jan 2005 23:25:58

Quote:> Hi,
> I need to monitor our machines' CPU temperature in case the AMD CPUs
> burned. I have two choices, ACPI and lm-sensors. Both works for my P4
> desktop and they give almost identical CPU temperature. But for some
> reason I don't know ACPI is not working to those AMD machines. Any idea
> why?
> I haven't tried lm-sensors on AMD-CPU-machines but before I do that, I
> want to ask: is there any preference between ACPI and lm-sensors? Which is
> better? It seems to me that lm-sensors can monitor many voltages while
> ACPI cannot. Maybe ACPI is more suitable for laptops?

ACPI depends on the BIOS AFAIK. If the BIOS is buggy, the ACPI has
problems. lm-sensor goes directly for the hardware, so I would
prefer that.

Arno
GnuPG: ID:1E25338F FP:0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C  0296 797F 6B50 1E25 338F