Gateway Solo 9100 S5-233, question.

Post by John Tayl » Thu, 24 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am thinking about buying one of these, and wanted to know if anyone has
problems under linux with them, before I buy it.  I *think* it has a Chip &
Tech Video chipset.  Will this work OK with XFree86, or will I need a to buy
a commercial X-server?  What about everthing else on the laptop?  Also, which
combo PCMCIA 10Bt / phone-modem card should I buy?  I will be running redhat
5.1 with the 2.0.3x kernel.  FWIW, I am not ready to use a 2.1.x kernel.

Thanks

--

John Taylor                 Large Scale Distributed Information Systems
System Administrator        Computer Science Dept, University of Georgia

Gateway Solo 9100 S5-233, question.

Post by Valentin Guille » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Don't know about that machine, but I'm very happy with My Hitachi VisionBook
Pro:  It runs RH 5.0 with Metro-X.  Chips and Tech 65554 chipset, built in
ethernet, 56K USR modem, touchpad, etc.  Runs currently in Virtual, Scrollable
1024x768 16 bit accelerated color mode,  and I'm sure it can be kicked up to 24
bit color mode.  I've upped the ram to 80 mb total, and bought a bigger 2.1 gb
drive for it.  It works for me!!

> I am thinking about buying one of these, and wanted to know if anyone has
> problems under linux with them, before I buy it.  I *think* it has a Chip &
> Tech Video chipset.  Will this work OK with XFree86, or will I need a to buy
> a commercial X-server?  What about everthing else on the laptop?  Also, which
> combo PCMCIA 10Bt / phone-modem card should I buy?  I will be running redhat
> 5.1 with the 2.0.3x kernel.  FWIW, I am not ready to use a 2.1.x kernel.

> Thanks

> --

> John Taylor                 Large Scale Distributed Information Systems
> System Administrator        Computer Science Dept, University of Georgia

--
__________________________________ __________________________________
         Valentin Guillen         | >>>>> Sick of Junk Email? <<<<<

____please spam these guys too_______________________________________

Gateway Solo 9100 S5-233, question.

Post by Hao » Fri, 02 Oct 1998 04:00:00

hi,

The new 9100 has a Trident cybe 3D chipset, which is also supported by
XFree86.

Hao

[...]

: >
: > Thanks
: >
: > --
: >
: > John Taylor                 Large Scale Distributed Information Systems
: > System Administrator        Computer Science Dept, University of Georgia

: --

--
Hao

Department of Theoretical Physics  Tel: +61-2-93515770
School of Physics                  Mob: +61-(0)414-812127
University of Sydney