RedHat 4.0 2 Ethernet cards

Post by R. Eugeni » Mon, 06 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have been trying to setup linux with 2 ethernet cards.
Im using 2 Linksys Ethernet cards which are NE2000 compatible. I can
confirm that the 2 ethernet cards work after using them under Win95 and
Win NT.

I have the two cards configured with
eth0
IRQ  : 10
Base : 0x300

eth1
IRQ  : 11
Base : 0x340

My problem is that the second card does not get probed and gets left out
while the first card gets setup and initialized correctly.  I have tried
passing parameters at boot like "linux ether=10,0x300,eth0 11,0x340,eth1"
and this did not recognize the second card but probes the first (eth0)
card fine.

I have also tried adding "append ether=10,0x300,eth0 11,0x340,eth1" to the
/etc/lilo.conf and ran lilo but this did not work either.

my /etc/conf.modules looks like this:

        alias eth0 ne
        alias eth1 ne
        options eth1 io=0x340 irq=11
        options eth0 io=0x300 irq=10

my etc/lilo.conf looks like this

        append = "ether=10,0x300,eth0 ether=11,0x340,eth1"
        boot=/dev/hda
        map=/boot/map
        install=/boot/boot.b
        prompt
        timeout=50
                image=/boot/vmlinuz
                label=linux
                root=/dev/hda1
                read-only
        other=/dev/hda3
                label=dos
                table=/dev/hda

my etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 look like this

        DEVICE=eth1
        BOOTP=no
        ONBOOT=yes
        BROADCAST=???.???.???.255
        NETWORK=???.???.???.0
        NETMASK=255.255.255.0
        IPADDR=???.???.???.???

I get "Delaying eth1 initialization" message at bootup.

Is there anything else that I can do to get this 2 cards working?

Thanks to any contributions.

1. 2 NE2000 ethernet cards with REDHAT 4.0

I am having difficulties in trying to get two ethernet cards to work in
my Linux box using Redhat Linux 4.0 with a kernel verion of 2.0.18.  I
have an AMD486DX4-120 with 1.2 GB and 20MB RAM.

I am trying to connect my linux box as a gateway for my other computers
at home.  I have 2 Linksys ethernet cards which are NE2000 compatible.
I can confirm that the cards are alright and working fine since I got it
to work in Win95 and Win NT.

I have the ethernet cards configured as follows:

eth0
IRQ: 10
BASE: 0x300

eth1
IRQ: 9
BASE: 0x320

My linux setup can probe for the first (eth0) card but does not
recognize the second (eth1) card.  But initializes and uses the first
one.

Ive tried setting up the second card thought the Control Panel in the X
environment.  I have also tried passing "linux ether=10,0x300,eth0
9,0x320,eth1" at bootup.  I have also tried adding 'append ="ether =
10,0x300,eth0 9,0x320,eth1" in the /etc/lilo.conf but this did not work
either.

2. Route command with netmask?

3. 3com vortex 3c595 Ethernet card and RedHat 4.0

4. problem with JetFlash USB Flash Drive

5. Need help installing 3c509B Ethernet Card on Redhat 4.0

6. NEC Versa V/50 and X

7. No ethernet after RedHat upgrade to 4.0

8. BusLogic KT-930 PCI

9. RedHat 4.0 & SCSI & Ethernet & 32 Bit FAT problems

10. Ethernet woes with Redhat 4.0 (NE2000, SMC EtherPower)

11. HELP: IRQ problem with RedHat 4.0 and 3Com 595 for ethernet

12. support for NE 2000 compatible PCI ethernet card under RH Linux 4.0??

13. OT: Are Cardbus Fast Ethernet cards REALLY FASTER than PCMCIA Fast Ethernet cards