mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by j karlo del mund » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

Can somebody help me mount the Superdisk on my linux box? I am running
Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 (2.0.33 kernel).

Thank you!
Karlo

mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by anony » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi
If have the same problem, with my IOMEGA Zip-drive
S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 (2.0.35 Kernel)
Quote:> Hello!

> Can somebody help me mount the Superdisk on my linux box? I am running
> Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 (2.0.33 kernel).

> Thank you!
> Karlo

mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by Ignac » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 >Hi
 >If have the same problem, with my IOMEGA Zip-drive
 >S.u.S.E. Linux 5.3 (2.0.35 Kernel)
 >
 >
 >> Hello!
 >>
 >> Can somebody help me mount the Superdisk on my linux box? I am
running
 >> Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 (2.0.33 kernel).
 >>
 >> Thank you!
 >> Karlo

With the LS-120, you mount the whole drive, not just one of the
partitions (i.e., /dev/hdx instead of /dev/hdxn). I believe it's the
same with the Zip, but I haven't tried my drive under Linux yet.

mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by Sinner from the Prair » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Hello!
> Can somebody help me mount the Superdisk on my linux box? I am running
> Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 (2.0.33 kernel).

Hi Karlo!

Mount it as a hard disk drive device. Mine is the master of my secondary
IDE chanel. So I mount it with:

mount vfat /dev/hdc /120

Where "/120" is a directory that already exists.

Linux will wrongly repport that you "own" 4 different partitions in your
LS-120 ("mine" are /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc2, /dev/hdc3, /dev/hdc4). Just
ignore them.

It works fine to me!
--
_________________
                  \

mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by Evan Fulle » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am having the same problem.  I tried mounting the LS-120 as you said, but
it still gives me a message saying "can't read superblock.  I was wondering
if you could help me with this.  Thanks in advance.

Evan Fuller

> > Hello!

> > Can somebody help me mount the Superdisk on my linux box? I am running
> > Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 (2.0.33 kernel).

> Hi Karlo!

> Mount it as a hard disk drive device. Mine is the master of my secondary
> IDE chanel. So I mount it with:

> mount vfat /dev/hdc /120

> Where "/120" is a directory that already exists.

> Linux will wrongly repport that you "own" 4 different partitions in your
> LS-120 ("mine" are /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc2, /dev/hdc3, /dev/hdc4). Just
> ignore them.

> It works fine to me!
> --
> _________________
>                   \
> =====Sinner==== >-->- a Mach 2.5!!
> _________________ /

mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by nano.. » Sat, 12 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am having the same problem.  I tried mounting the LS-120 as you said, but
> it still gives me a message saying "can't read superblock.  I was wondering
> if you could help me with this.  Thanks in advance.

> Evan Fuller

> > > Hello!

> > > Can somebody help me mount the Superdisk on my linux box? I am running
> > > Caldera OpenLinux 1.2 (2.0.33 kernel).

> > Hi Karlo!

> > Mount it as a hard disk drive device. Mine is the master of my secondary
> > IDE chanel. So I mount it with:

> > mount vfat /dev/hdc /120

> > Where "/120" is a directory that already exists.

> > Linux will wrongly repport that you "own" 4 different partitions in your
> > LS-120 ("mine" are /dev/hdc1, /dev/hdc2, /dev/hdc3, /dev/hdc4). Just
> > ignore them.

> > It works fine to me!
> > --
> > _________________
> >                   \
> > =====Sinner==== >-->- a Mach 2.5!!
> > _________________ /

I am a new user of Linux and was having the same problem. This is
probably an obvious solution but may be useful. Under linux it appears
that removable media ide devices must be mounted with some media in the
drive (e.g. a CD must be in the cd reader and a superdisk must be in the
LS-120 drive) before allowing mounting of said drive. Guru corrections
are welcome.

You must also have your kernel compiled with removable ide support. I
don't know how to check if your kernel version supports this option,
perhaps an experienced user could shed some light here.

Also, instead of mounting with: mount -t vfat /dev/hd? /mnt/foo I've
added the following line to /etc/fstab: /dev/hdc /mnt/ls120 vfat
user,exec,suid,noauto 0 0

I'm not sure what the options, dump, and pass values mean but they allow
me to mount my LS-120 with: mount /dev/hdc

I've also read that you can remove the vfat file system by using mke2fs
on a blank superdisk. <wait ...> Yes, this works, here is what I did and
the responses I got:

login as root
#mke2fs /dev/hdc
...blah blah blah.
#mount /dev/hdc /mnt/ls120.
#df
/dev/hdc              119343      13   113167      0%   /mnt/ls120
#ls /mnt/ls120 -la
drwxr-xr-x   3 root     root         1024 Sep 11 03:36 .
drwxr-xr-x   6 root     root         1024 Aug 28 19:16 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root        12288 Sep 11 03:36 lost+found

mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by Josep Lluis Guallar Estev » Mon, 14 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am having the same problem.  I tried mounting the LS-120 as you said, but
> it still gives me a message saying "can't read superblock.  I was wondering
> if you could help me with this.  Thanks in advance.
> Evan Fuller

Hi there!

Do you have "ATAPI devices" support in your kernel?

Maybe this is the black spot on your Kernel. Most of the time, kernels
don't come with this  support. So they cannot acces it. Ops!

Hope it helps.

BTW, I'm running it on a RedHat  5.0, kernel 2.0.34, P200MMX/32MB.

--
_________________
                  \

mounting Superdisk LS-120

Post by Dave Cineg » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I am a new user of Linux and was having the same problem. This is
> probably an obvious solution but may be useful. Under linux it appears
> that removable media ide devices must be mounted with some media in the
> drive (e.g. a CD must be in the cd reader and a superdisk must be in the
> LS-120 drive) before allowing mounting of said drive. Guru corrections
> are welcome.

I believe this is fully fixed now. Use .35, or .36 pre patches...

--
http://www.linkscape.net/       Linkscape Internet Services   732-541-4214
http://www.linuxrouter.org/     Linux Router Project

Please, no more BubbaVision.

1. mount LS-120 Superdisk?

can anyone tell me or point me to some docs about mounting a LS-120
Superdisk?  the disks were formatted through Windows or they came
formatted out of the box, the Superdisk drive came with the computer and i
don't want it to collect dust in Linux.

i've added in the ide-floppy module to a 2.2.14 kernel with the command:
insmod /lib/modules/2.2.14/block/ide-floppy.o

i've added in entries to the fstab file.  i've got the harddrive on hda,
CD-ROM a hdc, a floppy at fd0, i think the LS-120 is at fd1, i guess
there's nothing at hdb (where i thought the LS-120 would be) because
that covers all of the drives that i have.

when i try mounting fd1 as vfat, msdos, umsdos or auto, mount give me
the same response :
"mount: block device /dev/fd1 is write-protected, mounting read-only"
and then after 30 seconds or so :
"mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd1,
       or too many mounted file systems"

i do have a Superdisk in the drive while issuing this command.  after putting
the disk into the drive there's no way to get it back out unless i shutdown,
because the eject button stops responding.

what am i missing?  is there are daemon or some kind of driver?  do i need
to recompile the kernel?  is there any documentation out there? (i looked on
LDP and other sites.)

--
  __/_    _    _
_) /(- \/(-  _) .

2. ark2000pv chipset for Diamond

3. How do I mount my LS-120 (SuperDisk) Drive?

4. Password protecting a single file in a directory ?

5. Making a boot disk with LS-120 (was Re: LS-120 clicking)

6. setup_printer

7. For SuperDisk or LS-120 driver.....

8. ????Windows NT vs Linux OS: Which way to go????

9. How do I use the LS-120 - aka Superdisk - under Linux

10. Linux Install : Imation LS-120 SuperDisk problems

11. LS-120 SuperDisk support

12. LS-120 SuperDisk booting

13. My LS-120 (Superdisk) woes