Western Digital WD7193 SCSI adapter support for Linux?

Western Digital WD7193 SCSI adapter support for Linux?

Post by Jim Garriso » Wed, 04 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi!

I just got a new Micron PPro system and I'm setting up Redhat 4.0 on it
and so far things have been coming together well.  I have run into one
problem though - I purchased a Western Digital WD7193 SCSI adapter card
to use with my HP DDS tape drive, and it appears that there is no
support in Linux for that adapter.  I only plan on using the adapter for
the tape drive, so the system is usable, but I'd like to be able to do
backups.  When booting the system up, I see the following message:

  scsi: 0 hosts
  scsi: detected total

Does anyone know if this SCSI adapter is or will be supported on Linux?
Or will I need to to go out and buy one of the supported SCSI adapters?
(Kicking myself for not reading the supported adapters list before
buying the WD adapter.)  Oh well, at least it works fine under Win95 and
OS/2!

Thanks for any help or suggestions,

JimG
           Jim Garrison             | Be sure to double clutch when you
          Hewlett Packard           | paradigm shift.
    High Availability Advanced      |
         Technology Center          |

          (408) 447-3418            | 93' Husqvarna 610 WXE
 These opinions are mine, not HP's! | 95' Ducati 916 - Yehaa!

Western Digital WD7193 SCSI adapter support for Linux?

Post by Walter B Kulecz P » Sat, 07 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Does anyone know if this SCSI adapter is or will be supported on Linux?
>Or will I need to to go out and buy one of the supported SCSI adapters?
>(Kicking myself for not reading the supported adapters list before
>buying the WD adapter.)  Oh well, at least it works fine under Win95 and
>OS/2!

The bad news I recieved when I asked about these is NO, since WD won't provide
programming info I was told.  Someone else replied WD sold the line to Adaptec
which is quietly killing it hence what is in the channel is being dumped at low
prices.

I was given one by a friend who owns a computer store to check out.  Works fine
for Win95 and win3.1 so he got all he could as this is all he really cares
about but he is honnest enough to warn people that they probably won't work for
other operating systems.

I tried the NT 3.51 drivers under NT 4 and they seemed to work if they started
but startup on reboot was iffy so there is a problem there I havent figured
out.  This would be disaster if it was your only controller or NT boot device!

I found no mention of NT 4 drivers on the WD web site so I suspect the "dead
product line" is correct.

--wally.