Q: How To permenantly set AHA152x Parameters?

Q: How To permenantly set AHA152x Parameters?

Post by t.. » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I currently use a LILO boot floppy to boot my Linux system running of
of a SCSI drive connected to AHA152x controller without a BIOS.
At the command line I have to type "aha152x=0x340,10,7,1" at the boot
prompt. I would like to create a non-LILO boot floppy ( forgot what its
called).

Is there a way to hard code the AHA152x parameters in the Kernel?
I've tried to do this after looking at the aha152x.c driver but
without the command line parameters the kernel will not find the
SCSI controller.

Any help would be great.

Tim

Post by Christopher A Ston » Thu, 20 Jul 1995 04:00:00

|I currently use a LILO boot floppy to boot my Linux system running of
|of a SCSI drive connected to AHA152x controller without a BIOS.
|At the command line I have to type "aha152x=0x340,10,7,1" at the boot
|prompt. I would like to create a non-LILO boot floppy ( forgot what its
|called).

You just need to recompile your kernel with AHA152x support. (I'm running
1.3.9 with AHA152x support and it works fine)

        http://www.cs.buffalo.edu/~stoner

Q: How To permenantly set AHA152x Parameters?

Post by ramk » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

There is no need to recompile the kernel.

LILO has a provision for setting the params in the lilo.conf file.
On a Slackware distribution you could do it using the setup utility.
(the lilo docs has the exact syntax something similar to
append aha152x="....." )

If you are using loadlin (one of the non LILO boot methods) then loadlin
has a parameters file similar to lilo.conf in which I have
----------------

c:\loadlin\zimage.129
vga=normal
ramdisk=0
root=/dev/hda4
ro
# SB16 Sound-IRQ 10,BASE 220H,8bit DMA 1,16bit DMA 5, MIDI 330H,FM
# On non standard IRQ since COM1,COM2, COM3(modem) already use IRQs 4,3,5
sound=0x2220a1,0x6220a5,0x7330a0,0x138800
# SCSI controller, 340H, IRQ 11,
aha152x=0x340,11,7,1,1
----------------

Cheers
ramki

1. Question: How to set Kernel options permenantly?

I'm using a Adaptec 152x without a bios connected to a 200 Meg SCSI
hard drive for Linux.  My DOS/Win system runs off of a IDE controller.
I boot with a LILO floppy but I have to enter "aha152x=0x340,10,7,1"
at the boot prompt to start Linux.  I tried the append command in
lilo.conf on the floppy but lilo did not seem to see the append line.

1. Did I modify the right lilo.conf ( on the lilo floppy ) ?

2. Can I recompile the kernel to hard code the aha152x parameters.

3. What module do I need to change?  scsi.c?

Thanks!

Tim

2. Installing QLogic Fast SCSI IDE HA

3. Qs on ksh parameter expansion (BUG?)

4. Timed out messages in log files

5. AHA152x: Symbol for parameter not found

6. Help editing files

7. /lib/aha152x.o symbol for parameter not found

8. want shell should I learn?

9. aha152x.o: Symbol for parameter not found

10. Problem with AHA152x (Was: aha152x Freezes my machine)

11. trn: where do you set default newsfeed and other Qs

12. Qs Redhat startup scripts for setting routes

13. Q: Problem using ksh set command to set positional parameter