HPT370 RAID Chip, Linux installation. . .

HPT370 RAID Chip, Linux installation. . .

Post by Norvell Spearma » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 08:27:53

Has anyone successfully installed any distribution of Linux on an ABIT
KT7A-RAID mainboard, using RAID-1?  If I install a 2.2.15 kernel on one
of the HDDs (on a regular IDE channel), can I then upgrade to 2.2.16,
adjust /etc/lilo.conf, /etc/fstab, run /sbin/lilo, and---oh, how exactly
to I ensure the modules for the htp370 get loaded before the kernel
tried mounting partitions---then mirror the drives?

Thanks for any help with this. . .

---Norvell Spearman
---------------------------
``Trouble is my business.''
          ---Philip Marlowe

HPT370 RAID Chip, Linux installation. . .

Post by Kenneth R?rv » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 17:43:57

online.net>:

Quote:>Has anyone successfully installed any distribution of Linux on an ABIT
>KT7A-RAID mainboard, using RAID-1?  If I install a 2.2.15 kernel on one
>of the HDDs (on a regular IDE channel), can I then upgrade to 2.2.16,
>adjust /etc/lilo.conf, /etc/fstab, run /sbin/lilo, and---oh, how exactly
>to I ensure the modules for the htp370 get loaded before the kernel
>tried mounting partitions---then mirror the drives?

Linux does not support the raid features of the HPT370 yet, you'll be
better off sticking to s/w raid for the time being....

--
Kenneth R?rvik         91841353/22950312

0875 OSLO               home.no.net/stasis

HPT370 RAID Chip, Linux installation. . .

Post by jw » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:25:28

On Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:27:53 -0600, Norvell Spearman

> Has anyone successfully installed any distribution of Linux on an ABIT
> KT7A-RAID mainboard, using RAID-1?  If I install a 2.2.15 kernel on one
> of the HDDs (on a regular IDE channel), can I then upgrade to 2.2.16,
> adjust /etc/lilo.conf, /etc/fstab, run /sbin/lilo, and---oh, how exactly
> to I ensure the modules for the htp370 get loaded before the kernel
> tried mounting partitions---then mirror the drives?

You need a boot-disk with hpt370 support to recognize the controller. I
know SuSE 7.1 has it, for older distributions you may have to hunt the
web. Or check dejanews (now google) - there's been tons of posts on
this.

As for the Raid-part: you cannot install Linux on a windows-made raid
partition (since you can't access the windows drivers needed to provide
the raid). You can create raid in linux afterwards. For that, find the
raid-howto that's sure to be somewhere in your package.

Good luck,
Jurriaan

--
BOFH excuse #371:

Incorrectly configured static routes on the corerouters.
GNU/Linux 2.4.2-ac20 SMP/ReiserFS 2x1743 bogomips load av: 0.00 0.00 0.00

Post by Vincent F » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 02:32:30

Quote:>Has anyone successfully installed any distribution of Linux on an ABIT
>KT7A-RAID mainboard, using RAID-1?  If I install a 2.2.15 kernel on one
>of the HDDs (on a regular IDE channel), can I then upgrade to 2.2.16,
>adjust /etc/lilo.conf, /etc/fstab, run /sbin/lilo, and---oh, how exactly
>to I ensure the modules for the htp370 get loaded before the kernel
>tried mounting partitions---then mirror the drives?

My recommendation:

1) Disable HPT370 in BIOS
2) Install 3Ware IDE RAID card
3) Do *REAL* hardware RAID

I have a system where I installed 7.1 beta2 onto
the mirrored drive pair on a 3Ware 6200 card.
It "just installed", I didn't have to futz with
the installer, do some magic to with software RAID
or anything. Finally a system where my BOOT drive is
mirrored. I verified it by pulling one drive loose
and it still booted just fine. Considering the time
the card saved me it's well worth the $130.

--
        "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
         -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

1. Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

I am trying to install linux (Mandrake 8.0) on a PC (KT7-RAID motherboard)
as a second system for Windows 98. I am using two RAID mirrored disks for
various data and Linux / windows 98 resides on a separate ATA 66 disk on a
"normal" ide controler.
I can boot perfectly both systems, but the problem is that the two mirrored
FAT32 disks appeares as two separate normal disks under Linux and it's
possible to write independently on the two disks ... unsyncing the mirror.

I have a few questions about it :
1) Do i need to install the HPT370 linux patch (even if it doesn't supporte
the mirroring fonction) or is it already included in the Mandrake 8.0 kernel
?

2) If i can't solve this problem, can i use a software RAID mirror under
linux between the two disks that are mirrored with HPT370 under Windows 98
(i.e. "Hardware HPT370" mirroring and Linux Software mirroring are
compatible ?).

3) What is the VT82C686x bug ? Does it apply to the VT82C686A ship ? How can
it be solve ? Is there other well known bugs of Linux using the KT7-RAID
board ?

Thanks a lot for your help, and please send me a copy of your answers via

2. Hauppage Theatre (bt878) w/ SB PCI 128 PROBLEMS

3. RedHat 7.2 Athlon KT7-RAID HPT370 in RAID 1

4. Inter-procress communication!

5. Abit kt7-RAID HPT370/370A RAID chipset

6. UUCP under redhat 4.0

7. HPT370 RAID-1 or Software RAID-1, what's "best"?

8. Kaddressbook + Kword

9. SuSE Linux, HPT370, RAID question

10. HighPoint Technologies HPT370 RAID Setup in Linux

11. Making Linux boot from hpt370 raid controller

12. How to install Linux on RAID 0 build on HPT370

13. Software RAID using the HPT370 under linux?