Soundblaster sound recording...

Post by Andrew Larcomb » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm trying to record sound using the line-in port of my soundblaster, but the resulting .wav file sounds very quiet - about 70% of
the volume of comparable files recorded under W**doze. I've tried adjusting the mixer so that the line-in level is at max, but to no
avail.

I'm using a Soundblaster AWE-32 Pnp and I've tried using both the kernel/oss drivers (kernel 2.2.14) and the ALSA drivers and
various sound recording programs (krecord, arecord, ecasound) but the sound still seems quiet whatever I do!

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then
beat you with experience.
- Scott Adams.

[...]

Post by Andrey Vlaso » Wed, 09 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi Andrew,

did you check gain-in settings in mixer? If not try to adjust it to max. I had exactly the same problem but in Windows 98 a few years
ago and found in Creative mixer this settings and it works that time. Since then I know that there is not only main volume control and
CD/Line-In/.... but also gain-in and gain-out settings and by default they can make sound very quiet.

Andrey

1. Can you record sound with Soundblaster Deluxe?

I am running a FreeBSD 2.2.2 kernel with Soundblaster support compiled
in. My sound card is a Soundblaster Deluxe. I can play sound files using
NAS and it works very nicely.  But, I just bought a microphone and I
cannot seem to record any sound. (And, yes, I did plug it into MIC not
LINE IN.) I used "audemo" for playing and recording. A sound file gets
created but when I play it it is silent.  Other times it plays garbage
(e.g. the last bits of a previously played sound file repeated over and
over.)

Here are 2 other facts which might be relevant. The sound card shares a
DMA channel with a QIC tape drive. The sound card has a jumper which is
set to allow sharing the DMA channel.

Can anybody comment on this?

2. Imac X configs Help

3. Soundblaster 16 recording problem

4. reboot in Red hat

5. Cant't record with SoundBlaster 16 card !

6. netscape & bus error

7. Recording using a SoundBlaster Live - can YOU do it?

8. SCSI Tape Drive Question

9. Can't record with my SoundBlaster 16 card !!

10. 1.2.13: Soundblaster Pro plays, but no longer records

11. Can't record with SoundBlaster 16 card !

12. Recording audio via SoundBlaster 16 PCI card?

13. HELP problem recording sound under Linux