Configure second hard disk

Post by Donovan Read » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I would like to know how on earth can I configure my new hard disk and
> mount it as a new filesystem.  I can fdisk it ok, I change the type to
> Linux but when I mount it I get an error saying that it's the wrong
> filesystem type.

> I tried to run "e2fsck -f -p /dev/hdd1" but it replies that the superblock
> is corrupt. I tried also using the -b 8193 option but it still won't work.
> Can't Linux support two partitions as Linux?

> Any help will be greatly appreciated as I need this thing sorted out fast.

> Andre' Magri

Did you make a filesystem? From your post it appears that you did not.

mke2fs /dev/hdd1

or better yet:

man mke2fs

That ought to get you going!

--

Donovan Ready,
Lindsay Computer Systems

Before sending unsolicited e-mail, be sure to see
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/47/227.html

Configure second hard disk

Post by Ed Fletch » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,
>I would like to know how on earth can I configure my new hard disk and
>mount it as a new filesystem.  I can fdisk it ok, I change the type to
>Linux but when I mount it I get an error saying that it's the wrong
>filesystem type.
>I tried to run "e2fsck -f -p /dev/hdd1" but it replies that the superblock
>is corrupt. I tried also using the -b 8193 option but it still won't work.
>Can't Linux support two partitions as Linux?

This may be too obvious, but did you 'mke2fs /dev/hdd1' to make the
new filesystem?  (This is done after fdisk and before mount.)

Cheers,
Ed
--
Ed Fletcher

Ed Fletcher

"He who has a why to live can bear with almost any how." - Nietzshe

Post by Andre' Magr » Tue, 03 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Hi,
I would like to know how on earth can I configure my new hard disk and
mount it as a new filesystem.  I can fdisk it ok, I change the type to
Linux but when I mount it I get an error saying that it's the wrong
filesystem type.

I tried to run "e2fsck -f -p /dev/hdd1" but it replies that the superblock
is corrupt. I tried also using the -b 8193 option but it still won't work.
Can't Linux support two partitions as Linux?

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I need this thing sorted out fast.

Andre' Magri

1. Hard Disk Jumper Question on Maxtor IDE as second disk

I just picked up a new system and wanted to add my old Maxtor
7213AT (203Mb) as a second IDE disk. Since I have no documentation
I was wondering if someone out there had run this drive as a 2nd
disk. Is there a jumper to set in order to get this drive to act like
a second disk?

The current system is a packard bell pentium system with dual IDE
connectors, one for standard IDE, one for PCI IDE. The primary drive
is a seagate 1080Mb running off the PCI connector. The docs seem to
indicate that each connector can handle two disks.

+-Erik Kleinbussink ------------------------------------+

|                                                       |
|                                                       |

2. sbus videopix

3. Replacing Hard Disk - Copying Linux system to new Hard Disk ????

4. compile .CPP as .C

5. How to lock the bad sectors on the hard disk without reformatting the hard disk !!??

6. How to measure serial port bytes sent/received?

7. Ultra 5 IDE hard disks - can I use any PC hard disk?

8. ne2k NIC compiled into kernel, now modprobe errors?

9. can we copy an installed Linux on a hard disk onto another hard disk

10. configuring a SCSI hard disk (Sony SVR4)

11. second hard disk

12. mounting second hard disk

13. Can I install Solaris on my second hard disk?