3C509B not initializing on boot.

3C509B not initializing on boot.

Post by Steve Montei » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00



Hello All!

I'm just been using Linux for a week now so I'm relatively new to this.  My ISP
is changing it's ADSL setup so I have to use PPPoE in the near future.  I used
to use DHCP with OS/2 but OS/2 doesn't support PPPoE.  Since I had a 486/100
with 24 megs and an 850 meg drive, I'd install Linux and set it up as my
firewall to my ADSL modem.

I'm using Redhat 6.0, which only too two hours to install with my ADSL
connection.

I have two 3com 3C509B cards.  One is set to 0x300 IRQ 10 and the other is
0x310 IRQ 11.  I can't get either one of them to work at boot up.  I have to
manually start them with modprobe and ifconfig.  I know that Redhat saw the
cards because I used them to download all the RPMs.

I look at the /var/log/messages and this is what I get, with two modprobe
errors:

Sep 20 21:42:40 juxtaposition rc.sysinit: Enabling swap space succeeded
Sep 20 21:42:40 juxtaposition init: Entering runlevel: 3
Sep 20 21:42:48 juxtaposition network: Bringing up interface lo succeeded
Sep 20 21:42:49 juxtaposition ifup: Delaying eth0 initialization.
Sep 20 21:42:49 juxtaposition network: Bringing up interface eth0 failed
Sep 20 21:42:50 juxtaposition ifup: Delaying eth1 initialization.
Sep 20 21:42:50 juxtaposition network: Bringing up interface eth1 failed
Sep 20 21:42:51 juxtaposition modprobe: can't locate module binfmt-0000
Sep 20 21:42:51 juxtaposition modprobe: can't locate module binfmt-0000
Sep 20 21:42:53 juxtaposition portmap: portmap startup succeeded
Sep 20 21:42:54 juxtaposition netfs: Mounting other filesystems succeeded

If someone can point me into the right direction as to what isn't working I'd
appreciate it.

Steve Monteith
--

| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly her/his own.
|                      From addresses mangled solely to block spamming.
| Apologies to those wishing to respond, change m-net to mnet.

 
 
 

3C509B not initializing on boot.

Post by Tony Plat » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I remembar reading somewhere that the drivers for these cards don't allow
TWO of them in the same machine...

But things could have changed by now

Does it work with just one???

Tony


>Hello All!

>I'm just been using Linux for a week now so I'm relatively new to this.  My
ISP
>is changing it's ADSL setup so I have to use PPPoE in the near future.  I
used
>to use DHCP with OS/2 but OS/2 doesn't support PPPoE.  Since I had a
486/100
>with 24 megs and an 850 meg drive, I'd install Linux and set it up as my
>firewall to my ADSL modem.

>I'm using Redhat 6.0, which only too two hours to install with my ADSL
>connection.

>I have two 3com 3C509B cards.  One is set to 0x300 IRQ 10 and the other is
>0x310 IRQ 11.  I can't get either one of them to work at boot up.  I have
to
>manually start them with modprobe and ifconfig.  I know that Redhat saw the
>cards because I used them to download all the RPMs.

>I look at the /var/log/messages and this is what I get, with two modprobe
>errors:

>Sep 20 21:42:40 juxtaposition rc.sysinit: Enabling swap space succeeded
>Sep 20 21:42:40 juxtaposition init: Entering runlevel: 3
>Sep 20 21:42:48 juxtaposition network: Bringing up interface lo succeeded
>Sep 20 21:42:49 juxtaposition ifup: Delaying eth0 initialization.
>Sep 20 21:42:49 juxtaposition network: Bringing up interface eth0 failed
>Sep 20 21:42:50 juxtaposition ifup: Delaying eth1 initialization.
>Sep 20 21:42:50 juxtaposition network: Bringing up interface eth1 failed
>Sep 20 21:42:51 juxtaposition modprobe: can't locate module binfmt-0000
>Sep 20 21:42:51 juxtaposition modprobe: can't locate module binfmt-0000
>Sep 20 21:42:53 juxtaposition portmap: portmap startup succeeded
>Sep 20 21:42:54 juxtaposition netfs: Mounting other filesystems succeeded

>If someone can point me into the right direction as to what isn't working
I'd
>appreciate it.

>Steve Monteith
>--

>| Standard disclaimer: The views of this user are strictly her/his own.
>|                      From addresses mangled solely to block spamming.
>| Apologies to those wishing to respond, change m-net to mnet.


 
 
 

3C509B not initializing on boot.

Post by Donald Beck » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00




>I remembar reading somewhere that the drivers for these cards don't allow
>TWO of them in the same machine...
>But things could have changed by now

This is bogus info.
Most Ethernet drivers have supported multiple card since 1992, when Ethernet
was first supported.

The ISA drivers default to detecting only a single card to minimize
dangerous ISA probes, but this default is easily changed.
 http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/multicard.html

The 3c509 driver is special because it has a pre-PnP activation mechanism,
but this is well documented.

--

USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

 
 
 

3C509B not initializing on boot.

Post by Tony Plat » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Whoops Sorry Donald

Tony




>>I remembar reading somewhere that the drivers for these cards don't allow
>>TWO of them in the same machine...
>>But things could have changed by now

>This is bogus info.
>Most Ethernet drivers have supported multiple card since 1992, when
Ethernet
>was first supported.

>The ISA drivers default to detecting only a single card to minimize
>dangerous ISA probes, but this default is easily changed.
> http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/multicard.html

>The 3c509 driver is special because it has a pre-PnP activation mechanism,
>but this is well documented.

>--

>USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
>Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
>301-286-0882      http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

 
 
 

3C509B not initializing on boot.

Post by Larry Jansc » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00


I remember reading in a HOWTO somewhere that the 3c509 is supported, but
the 3c509b is not. Is this still the case? -L

> Whoops Sorry Donald

> Tony




> >>I remembar reading somewhere that the drivers for these cards don't allow
> >>TWO of them in the same machine...
> >>But things could have changed by now

> >This is bogus info.
> >Most Ethernet drivers have supported multiple card since 1992, when
> Ethernet
> >was first supported.

> >The ISA drivers default to detecting only a single card to minimize
> >dangerous ISA probes, but this default is easily changed.
> > http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/multicard.html

> >The 3c509 driver is special because it has a pre-PnP activation mechanism,
> >but this is well documented.

> >--

> >USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
> >Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
> >301-286-0882      http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html

--
Larry Jansch

The next century/millennium starts in 2001, not 2000.
There was no year "0", so the first century ran from
the year 1 to the year 100. The second century ran
from the year 101 to the year 200. And so on.

  ljansch.vcf
< 1K Download
 
 
 

3C509B not initializing on boot.

Post by Donald Beck » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00




Quote:>I remember reading in a HOWTO somewhere that the 3c509 is supported, but
>the 3c509b is not. Is this still the case? -L

It was *never* the case.  The ISA 3c509B w/ PnP was supported from the day
it was introduced.

In some systems you must disable the Plug-and-Pray feature on the card, or
use the Linux 'isapnp' tool.  Since it's unpredictable which systems cause
PnP problems, and the 'isapnp' tool is relatively recent and very ugly, I
recommend always turning off PnP.

Do not confuse the ISA 3c509 with the PCI 3c905.
The PCI 3c905B does need an updated driver vs. the older 3c905.
To add to the potential confusion, both have 'B' versions, and sometimes
'b' in the circuit board revision number.

Quote:>> >The 3c509 driver is special because it has a pre-PnP activation mechanism,
>> >but this is well documented.

  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/3c509.html
--

USRA-CESDIS, Center of Excellence in Space Data and Information Sciences.
Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html
 
 
 

1. help: not detecting network card, can't find 3c509b at boot time (not P&P )



Two more ideas to try:
(Remember: Working under DOS is no guarantee that no IRQ/port conflicts
exist.)
1) In the BIOS PCI setup disable the IRQ for all PCI slots except the one
with the adaptec SCSI controller (set IRQ to N/A). The graphics card
won't need an IRQ line afaik.

2) try a few more io ports, i.e: 300, 310, 320, 330, 340,...
2a) try the new 3com509 driver together with hardware configuration
utility running under Linux. See
  http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/linux/
3) Remove CD-ROM and SoundBlaster and try again.

Nils

2. Boot failure after changing scsi adapter

3. 3C509B card doesn't initialize with RH 6.1

4. Multilink PPP Support?

5. RH5.1 won't initialize eth0 (3com 3C509B-TPO)

6. Error compiling with BSD signals!

7. Minicom: can not initialize the modem after boot

8. Apache Web Server and permissions

9. 3com 3c509B Combo not detected at boot

10. 3Com 3c509B vs 3c509B-TP

11. initializing scripts during system boot

12. RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

13. Boot hangs on initializing Sendmail