U320 SCSI HDD on Adaptec 39320 - mandrake

U320 SCSI HDD on Adaptec 39320 - mandrake

Post by Piotr Kowalsk » Sat, 18 Jan 2003 23:48:52

Hi!

I've experienced problems with Mandrake 9.0 (kernel 2.4.19) installation.
The expert mode installer (or any other installer) doesn't see my SCSI
controller at all (I tried aic 7xxx dedicated driver - it asks for more
parameters, dunno what, otherwise detection fails). Madrake doesn't include
my controller on the supported hardware list.

Adaptec supports the controller for RH 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, SuSE 7.3 8.0 in RPM
format, or gives sorces. Is there a chance that any of the RPMs works on
Mdrk 9.0? My other questions are:

- what should I do to make the installer see my hardware?
- doesn;t the generic 2.4.19 kernel suport this controler at all?
- maybe it's only a matter of parameters I should pass to the installation
wizard to make it work? Or the controller mode settings (160/320,
packetizing etc)
- if i decide to build the driver from sources on another host (the same
OS) - how should I make a kernel module or sth to make the installer see the
SCSIs during the next installation attempt?
- is there any other distribution you know, that supports my controller?
- Any other suggestions?

I'll be very grateful for any suggestions.
My regards for the GNU people!

Piotr Kowalski

U320 SCSI HDD on Adaptec 39320 - mandrake

Post by Richard Adam » Sun, 19 Jan 2003 18:02:23

Quote:> Hi!

> I've experienced problems with Mandrake 9.0 (kernel 2.4.19)
> installation. The expert mode installer (or any other installer) doesn't
> see my SCSI controller at all (I tried aic 7xxx dedicated driver - it
> asks for more parameters, dunno what, otherwise detection fails).
> Madrake doesn't include my controller on the supported hardware list.

I dont have one of these cards so i cant help in the sence of, "been
there done that". You seem to have tryed the correct driver according to
adaptec.com.
To find out more  i did some googleing for you, (a thing you could have done).
In google.com/linux all i did was type aic7xxx
Plenty of help to be found, a lot of hints on your problem, one in
particular;
http://linux.web.cern.ch/linux/redhat72/documentation/installation/ai...

I suggest you use google and read up.

Quote:

--
Regards Richard

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/pa3gcu/

U320 SCSI HDD on Adaptec 39320 - mandrake

Post by Piotr Kowalsk » Mon, 20 Jan 2003 06:12:59

Quote:> To find out more  i did some googleing for you, (a thing you could have

done).

Yes, sorry, but I'm new into Linux, and I had a lot trouble with the amount
of info from google.
So thanks alot and take care!

pk

1. Adaptec 39320-R SCSI controller under Fedora

I've seen some old messages in this news group suggesting that 39320-R
was too new, but that was a year ago.  Since then, Dell and Adaptec
came out with RH Enterprise versions, but I can't find anything for
Fedora.  Fedora 3 test 3 fails to detect my card.  Have I made a bad
decision with it?  Are there any known workarounds?

Boris

2. process check

3. Drivers for Adaptec 39320: Debian Linux

4. OS2 fails to telnet to hp715

5. Adaptec 39320 with Ultra 160 Discs

6. Unable to open an initial console

7. RedHat 8.0 install on Adaptec AIC-7902 U320 SCSI mainboard

8. Running NetBSD on a Sun 3/80

9. Adaptec U320 SCSI on Dell Precision 670

10. Slackware 3.4 + Adaptec AIC7880 + SCSI HDD + SCSI Zip Drive

11. Adaptec U320 RAID cards supported?

12. Very strange 'abort' errors in dmesg on U320 Adaptec AIC79XX

13. SCSI hdd with Mandrake 8