Mitsumi cd rom on hP pavilion not detected by linux

Post by tgrzyb » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>Well, first off, you sure that Mitsumi is ide/atapi?  If I remember
>correctly, I think Mitsumi made two types, one ide/atapi and the other
>a propriatary device.  This is where mcd comes into play, if it is the
>mitsumi propriatary device, then you should use the kernel with mcd
>support compiled in.  Otherwise, you should be able to get by with
>the idecd kernel, which is ide/atapi cdrom support compiled in.

>That answer your questions?  If not, repost more specific problems.

>Tom

>: My cd rom  which is a  mitsumi ide type is not detected by linux.
>:
>: its on x0170 and irq 15 but it just wont detect it.
>: What could be wrong?
>:
>: What does "mcd not a valid block device" mean?
>:
>: Please help....
>: Jitendra Khare
>:

>--
>___________________            ___   __            __________________________
>Tom Johnson                   |   \ |  |           Netscape 2.0 for X11

>IT Consultant                 |  |\    |           TSS, INT
>-------------------           |__| \___|           --------------------------

I am having the exact same problem with a Mitsumi ide/atapi.

It shows up under MSDOS after DOS loads a driver that
came with the drive and then lists
the IRQ and declares that it is an ATAPI device.  Funny thing
here is that I cannot get my AMI Bios setup to detect it
and neither can Linux (no matter which kernel I use or which
device).  What gives here???  Very frustrating.

Tom

Post by jeff schmid » Thu, 19 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> >Well, first off, you sure that Mitsumi is ide/atapi?  If I remember
> >correctly, I think Mitsumi made two types, one ide/atapi and the other
> >a propriatary device.  This is where mcd comes into play, if it is the
> >mitsumi propriatary device, then you should use the kernel with mcd
> >support compiled in.  Otherwise, you should be able to get by with
> >the idecd kernel, which is ide/atapi cdrom support compiled in.

> >That answer your questions?  If not, repost more specific problems.

> >Tom

> >: My cd rom  which is a  mitsumi ide type is not detected by linux.
> >:
> >: its on x0170 and irq 15 but it just wont detect it.
> >: What could be wrong?
> >:
> >: What does "mcd not a valid block device" mean?
> >:
> >: Please help....
> >: Jitendra Khare
> >:

> >--
> >___________________            ___   __            __________________________
> >Tom Johnson                   |   \ |  |           Netscape 2.0 for X11

> >IT Consultant                 |  |\    |           TSS, INT
> >-------------------           |__| \___|           --------------------------

> I am having the exact same problem with a Mitsumi ide/atapi.

> It shows up under MSDOS after DOS loads a driver that
> came with the drive and then lists
> the IRQ and declares that it is an ATAPI device.  Funny thing
> here is that I cannot get my AMI Bios setup to detect it
> and neither can Linux (no matter which kernel I use or which
> device).  What gives here???  Very frustrating.

> Tom

Recompile your kernal with atapi/ide cdrom support and connect the cdrom
to the secondary drive controller on your mainboard or controller card.
put a cd in the drive. when the kernel loads it will report no cd found,
but will see /dev/hdd and mount it on /cdrom, if you have a line in your
/etc/fstab file for a cdrom, and that is the mount point for the device.
once the machine is up you can umount/mount the device as is09660
filesystem. this works with kernel 1.3.20 and a mitsumi 2x cdrom on a
machine that i built for my mother. yes, mom's a linuxhead.it will not
see the drive unless you boot with a disk in the tray. i think that in
the src files mcd.c and mcd.h the kernel looks for mitsumi drives at
0x300 but i have not gotten  the drive to work by altering the address
in these files. luck.ciao.jeff

1. CD-ROM not detected by linux after CD-ROM install

Hello

    I installed a Rage Fury 128. Upon the first bot into linux It asked to
uninstall the old video drivers -- went fine.
Then it asked to install the drivers for the card, which it detected and
identified perfectly.  It asked for the location of the source files and
gave the options of CD or Filesystem. I don't know where they would be
located on the filesystem, so I said CD. It returned with "Unable to mount
CD-ROM". I hit cancel and got shot back to the initial File location list
with CD, Filesystem, and Cancel. after several tries, it was obvious that
jiggling the wires wouldn't fix this and now Linux is unusable because when
the GUI would normally come up I now have a blank screen with occasional
hard-drive activity. I put the old card back in, identification and
configuration was perfect, (it didn't ask for the CD), but now my CD-ROM is
still not being mounted. The BIOS and Win2K are both finding the CD without
a problem.

The CD-ROM is the Master on Secondary Controller. Is a Funai X285E.

    In Win2K the CD is fine with no difficulties at all. Any
suggestions?

    In a separate, unrelated issue, Linux will not find my Soundcard. I have
a classic Soundblaster 16 ISA card for universal compatibility, but it
doesn't recognize it all. I assume this is because it is an ISA card and I
need to configure it manually. Unfortunately I am *very* new to Linux and do
not know how to do this. (Yes I've ordered "Running Linux, 2nd Ed.", but it
will not be here for a few days.)

    I would greatly appreciate any advice that could be offered. I still
have the old video card if it will be required.

Thank you,
Jesse

2. waiting for a process to terminate under csh

3. Mitsumi CD-ROM not detected :{

4. chroot ssh

5. Mitsumi CD-ROM: why not detected?

6. CobaltCube assist?

7. linux, Mitsumi CD-ROM (& SB), & the TA CD-ROM - solved!

8. One best things for Linux

9. Q: can't detect Mitsumi 4x CD-ROM drive

10. Mitsumi CD Rom isnn't detected

11. CD writer does not detect the presence of a CD-ROM

12. Mitsumi CD-ROM and Linux Slackware CD

13. Linux Install from CD and Mitsumi CD-ROM