Beating DVD Macrovision with my PC + tv-tuner card?

Beating DVD Macrovision with my PC + tv-tuner card?

Post by Josiah Barbe » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:44:49

My girlfriend got a DVD player for Christmas.  My tv has a vcr built in.
When we try to play DVDs with macrovision enabled (almost all of them!) we
have to watch the the picture fade between very bright and very dark.

I don't want to buy a new tv just to watch DVDs.
I know that they make "macrovision disablers" and "video enhancers" but I
don't know how trustworthy they are.

I was thinking that if I bought a tv tuner card for my PC, I could route
the macrovision-ized video signal into my tv tuner, which would process it
like a tv and not like a vcr.  I could then send the signal out through my
ATI Rage Fury Pro tv-video out jack into my tv-vcr.

Does anyone out there have any idea if this could work?
Would it work with some tv-tuner cards but not others?
I use linux, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, along the lines I was thinking or
otherwise.  I want to spend the least money possible.  We own an dvd player
and we own a tv so we shouldn't have to spend any more money just to watch
our DVDs.  Its kind of frustrating.

I don't know if it's rude to post to so many newgroups, and if it is I
appologize.  I'm frustrated and I've been looking around for ideas but am
unsure of what to do.

Thanks,
Josiah Barber