VESA or LCD???

Post by Dennis J. Tuchle » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:40:23

When I installed SuSE 9.2 on my Dell Inspiron 8600, the installation
program selected VESA rather than LCD for my monitor.  I expect to connect
this computer to a large flat LCD screen, using the same card, through a
docking device.

I am a mite shell-shocked with respect to using Sax2 so I my question,
before I do anything is this:  Would it be better to set the screen for
LCD rather than VESA?  If Not, What alternative do I have with rspect to
the LCD screen to which I will attach the computer through the docking
system?

Thanks

dj tuchler

VESA or LCD???

Post by Davide Bianch » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:00:19

Quote:> When I installed SuSE 9.2 on my Dell Inspiron 8600, the installation
> program selected VESA rather than LCD for my

VESA refer to the videocard, not the monitor. The monitor doesn't
really matter, the only things that matters are the correct vertical
and horizontal sync.

Davide

--
I'm not a programmer, but I play one at Microsoft.
   -- From a Slashdot.org post

VESA or LCD???

Post by Dennis J. Tuchle » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 03:18:19

>> When I installed SuSE 9.2 on my Dell Inspiron 8600, the installation
>> program selected VESA rather than LCD for my

> VESA refer to the videocard, not the monitor. The monitor doesn't
> really matter, the only things that matters are the correct vertical
> and horizontal sync.

> Davide

Thank you for your reply.  I wae perhaps mislead since the monitor is
listed separately under the Sax selections.  LCD is one of the options
available to the user.  As I said, I'm loath to change the setting, having
been bitten once or twice by Saz2 in response to my fiddling about.

dj tuchler

VESA or LCD???

Post by baskitcais » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 04:37:23

Dennis J. Tuchler adjusted his/her tin foil beanie and asbestos
underwear to write:

Quote:> Thank you for your reply.  I wae perhaps mislead since the monitor is
> listed separately under the Sax selections.  LCD is one of the options
> available to the user.  As I said, I'm loath to change the setting,
> having been bitten once or twice by Saz2 in response to my fiddling
> about.

Just make a copy of your XF86Config or Xorgconf and if it goes pear
shaped just replace the new one with the old and you will be back to
square one.

HTH
--
Mark
Illegitimi Non Carborundum!

VESA or LCD???

Post by Darkligh » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:21:38

have tried going though control center -> yast2 -> hardware -> graphics & ,

VESA or LCD???

Post by Darkligh » Sun, 02 Jan 2005 21:24:09

have you tried going though control center -> yast2 -> Hardware
-> graphics & monitor much easier than SaX2 but they do the same.
What you scared of you can test before you use

1. X-server is wierd until I switch from LCD->CRT->LCD

I am using a Acer (Texas Instruments) Extensa 390
it has a 'Chips & Technologies 65555'

WHen X starts in 8/16/24 bit mode I get a similar
overlapping image  as if the image was drawn interlaced but on a single pass

I found that by hotkeying to CRT mode
and then hotkeying back to LCD fixes this problem.
But I wish there was a more elegant fix.

On a side note, when I use the adjustment hot keys
(to adjust sound/brightness etc..)
my X cursor becomes a odd version of the level inticator on my screen
is there a way to tell the server to use a different piece of memory
for it's font cache??

--
.-.-..--._|_ _|_  AND SOMETIMES I THINK THAT WE ARE ALL BALLOONS WITH
| | |.--| |   |   LONG STRINGS SEARCHING FOR SOMETHING TO TIE ON TO.
|   ||__| |   |   http://umbc.edu/~mhaycr1     quote by:terrell neuage

2. "screen" command

3. VESA IDE cards? Do they work?

4. FTP and quote

5. Stealth 32 VESA & yggdrasil

6. KDE2- scrollwheel mouse..

7. vesa-driver for xfree86 ?

8. Driver for USR/3Com Sportster 128K ISDN TA internal

9. VESA fb with S3 Trio3D

10. Q: Which system, pci, vesa, 486, 586?

11. AK47 VESA SCSI-II Controller

12. Standard XF86Configs for VESA mode

13. Need 1024x768 75Mhz VESA modeline.