NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by ZIP DRIVE NEEDE » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I Have followed the Zip-HOWTO manual in installing the external
parallel-port drive on my Redhat Linux 5.0 system. Still, my zip drive
is not recognized. I configured the kernel correctly as told. However,
even if I remove the module lp and try inserting the module ppa, I still
get that error message. As it was, when I botted the RH 5.0 installation
from CD-ROM, I tried to tell it that I have an SCSI adaptor, but I got
that error message saying that no SCSI adaptors were found. Can somebody
please help me solve this mess?

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Could you be more specific about the error message?

-Vladimir

Post by Kyle Dansi » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I Have followed the Zip-HOWTO manual in installing the external
> parallel-port drive on my Redhat Linux 5.0 system. Still, my zip drive
> is not recognized. I configured the kernel correctly as told. However,
> even if I remove the module lp and try inserting the module ppa, I still
> get that error message.

<snip>

Why dont you do a dmesg > dmesgout.txt and post the txt file.

That way we could see what the error message is.

Kyle Dansie
Linux Rules
          ZIP drive Mini-HOWTO
http://njtcom.com/dansie/zip-drive.html
                    or
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by ZIP DRIVE NEEDE » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Ok. You know at boot up time, when you boot Redhat Linux that if Linux
does not recognize your Zip drive, it will say something like "0 SCSI
Hosts detected." I cannot even get Linux to recognize my Zip drive. It's
not SCSI, it's Parallel Port External. I have more to say which I will
type when I repost. Sorry about that.

> Could you be more specific about the error message?

> -Vladimir

> >I Have followed the Zip-HOWTO manual in installing the external
> >parallel-port drive on my Redhat Linux 5.0 system. Still, my zip drive
> >is not recognized. I configured the kernel correctly as told. However,
> >even if I remove the module lp and try inserting the module ppa, I still
> >get that error message. As it was, when I botted the RH 5.0 installation
> >from CD-ROM, I tried to tell it that I have an SCSI adaptor, but I got
> >that error message saying that no SCSI adaptors were found. Can somebody
> >please help me solve this mess?

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by Charles R.L. Pow » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I Have followed the Zip-HOWTO manual in installing the external
>parallel-port drive on my Redhat Linux 5.0 system. Still, my zip drive
>is not recognized. I configured the kernel correctly as told. However,
>even if I remove the module lp and try inserting the module ppa, I still
>get that error message. As it was, when I botted the RH 5.0 installation
>from CD-ROM, I tried to tell it that I have an SCSI adaptor, but I got
>that error message saying that no SCSI adaptors were found. Can somebody
>please help me solve this mess?

I may shortly be having the same problem, as I plan to install Linux
with my new hard drive. One thing springs to mind, and it probably
doesn't apply to you, but: you did have a zip disk in the drive,
right? I've read that Linux is incapable of recognizing an *empty* zip
drive. (Empty zip disk is OK, just as long as it's in the drive.)

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by Vladimir Sinitsy » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

That's OK - Parallel Port External Zip drives are actually SCSI drives using
your PC's parallel port as a slow SCSI adapter. The default RedHat Linux
kernel *should* recognize it right away, as you pointed out. Not sure how I
can help you on this one. Is the drive plugged in? Both power and data
cables?

-Vladimir

>Ok. You know at boot up time, when you boot Redhat Linux that if Linux
>does not recognize your Zip drive, it will say something like "0 SCSI
>Hosts detected." I cannot even get Linux to recognize my Zip drive. It's
>not SCSI, it's Parallel Port External. I have more to say which I will
>type when I repost. Sorry about that.

>> Could you be more specific about the error message?

>> -Vladimir

>> >I Have followed the Zip-HOWTO manual in installing the external
>> >parallel-port drive on my Redhat Linux 5.0 system. Still, my zip drive
>> >is not recognized. I configured the kernel correctly as told. However,
>> >even if I remove the module lp and try inserting the module ppa, I still
>> >get that error message. As it was, when I botted the RH 5.0 installation
>> >from CD-ROM, I tried to tell it that I have an SCSI adaptor, but I got
>> >that error message saying that no SCSI adaptors were found. Can somebody
>> >please help me solve this mess?

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by Peter Polma » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The only way I've been able to get the SCSI Zip to work with RH 5.0 was to
set it up during the installation process. When it asks you if you have a
SCSI device during install you need to pass the proper parameters to the
install process with your own settings (i.e.aha152x=0x340,11,7,1). When the
installation is completed and you boot up the first time try a "modprobe
aha152x" and you should have the card recognized along with your Zip drive.
I realize that there has to be a better way, but at least I got it to work
this way. I've had no luck trying to build the SCSI support for this card
into the kernel, though it has to be possible. It seems that the SCSI and
ZIP HOWTO's are not written to my limited understanding of this operating
system.
By the way it seems that kernels 2.0.33 and newer are slightly better at
setting up this SCSI card. With SuSE 5.2 (which came with 2.0.33) the
installation went much the same as with RH 5.0 but when I boot up afterwards
I only need to mount my Zip partition to access the drive.
I've fiddled with RH 5.0 and SuSE 5.2 and read the SCSI and ZIP howto's
several times but I've had no luck with setting up this card as part of the
kernel or as a loadable module. One of these days the fog will lift and
something very obvious will become apparent. For now I'll rely on the
installation process.
Good Luck ....

> I Have followed the Zip-HOWTO manual in installing the external
> parallel-port drive on my Redhat Linux 5.0 system. Still, my zip drive
> is not recognized. I configured the kernel correctly as told. However,
> even if I remove the module lp and try inserting the module ppa, I still
> get that error message. As it was, when I botted the RH 5.0 installation
> from CD-ROM, I tried to tell it that I have an SCSI adaptor, but I got
> that error message saying that no SCSI adaptors were found. Can somebody
> please help me solve this mess?

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by Peter Polma » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Sorry, just reread your posting and realized that your not using the SCSI
version.
AFAIK you don't need to compile the SCSI card driver if your using the parallel
version.

> The only way I've been able to get the SCSI Zip to work with RH 5.0 was to

<snip>

> > I Have followed the Zip-HOWTO manual in installing the external
> > parallel-port drive on my Redhat Linux 5.0 system. Still, my zip drive
> > is not recognized. I configured the kernel correctly as told. However,
> <snip>

NEED HELP IN GETTING LINUX TO RECOGNIZE MY ZIP DRIVE !!!

Post by Moriart » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Under RedHat, when you are prompted with the SCSI device selection screen,
scroll down the list and enable the the ppa3 device... Of course, make sure
your ZIP drive is turned on :)

Just my two cents worth... :)

Moriarty

1. help on getting linux to recognize cdrom drive as source for install

This is a message asking for help in getting slackware 3.0 linux to
recognize my IDE cdrom as a valid source for installation of the slackware
3.0 version of linux .... I installed a second hard just to load linux and
so had to get an IDE interface card that had two IDE ports ... I cant get
the Linux setup utility to recognize the CDROM drive on any port or device
setting ...

I am lost as to where to begin researching this problem ....

thanks
wireratt
--
could not find reality.sys ... now loading myfantasy.sys ....

2. How to SU from within c scripts

3. I need help getting linux to recognize my CD-ROM

4. Printer Recommendations

5. Need help getting Linux to recognize Chinon CDS-545i 4X CDROM

6. KDE update

7. I need help getting linux to recognize my CD-ROM

8. Top 10 posters comp.unix.questions

9. HELP: IDE ZIP drive and Red hat, cannot access Zip drive

10. Need help getting Ultrix-driven Tk50 to write for VMS-drive Tk50

11. Help Getting Internal ATAPI Zip Drive to work with RH 6.0

12. Solution: Getting Linux to recognize many IDE drives...

13. Getting Linux to Recognize New Drive