Automating the works with xawtv and STB TV card

Automating the works with xawtv and STB TV card

Post by Igor Raznatovi » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Well,

After some time spent infront of the computer (lots of coffy and nachos
with chees) I got my STB TV card up and running on Linux. In a week I
havent restarted my computer to boot in Windows (it was the last thing
that kept me tied) so its a nice feeling, BUT there is a problem.

Ok...this is it: I'm starting the xawtv like this...I

1. I open terminal, type in ./update ( I changed some little things like
tipe of card etc.)
2. I cd to /usr/local/bin and type ./xawtv and thats it.

Now that doesn't look like a normal way to start xawtv does it? Iknow i
didn't finish everithing but what now. Oh, yes, do I have to put support
for video in the kernel...how do I load  all this stuf on startup...I'm
close, but not quite there, so help me out! Thanks :)

Post by Henrik Carlqvis » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> Ok...this is it: I'm starting the xawtv like this...I

> 1. I open terminal, type in ./update
> 2. I cd to /usr/local/bin and type ./xawtv and thats it.

> Now that doesn't look like a normal way to start xawtv does it?

To do 1. you will have to be root. It is also only necessary to do this
once unless you would want to unload the modules for some reason. If you
don't want to do it manually after a reboot you could put it on a line
in your init scripts. On Slackware a good file to place the call to
update would be /etc/rc.d/rc.local , if you have another distribution I
would guess that there is some file with a resembling name which is
supposed for your own settings.

You can be a normal user to do 2. (You are not running your evereday
work as root, are you?) /usr/local/bin should be in your path, then you
won't have to cd to that directory. If you are running bash you could
edit your ~/.profile or /etc/profile to add /usr/local/bin to your path,
something like this:

PATH="/usr/local/bin:$PATH:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/andrew/bin:$OPENWINHOME/bin:/usr/games:."

If your are running tcsh you could edit your ~/.login or /etc/csh.login
with a line looking something like this:

setenv PATH /usr/local/bin:$PATH

After this you will only have to type xawtv.

regards Henrik

--
spammer strikeback:

Automating the works with xawtv and STB TV card

Post by Roland Hegge » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

hi,
instead of updating your kernel modules, you should copy the new
compiled modules (i guess videodev, tuner, msp3400 and bttv) into
/lib/modules/KERNEL#/misc. to insert those modules into the kernel
at boot time i put lines like
insmod videodev
insmod tuner
insmod msp3400
insmod bttv
in my /sbin/init.d/boot.local file. you probably have to change and/or
add some parameters.
next you have to add the path containing your xawtv to your PATH. you
can
do that in your ~/.profile or ~/.bashrc (or whatever shell you use).
now you can open a terminal and just type xawtv and enjoy watching...
alternatively you can create a desktop icon to startup xawtv ...

good luck

--
     -roland-

Roland Heggen

Lehrstuhl fuer Technische Thermodynamik
Rhein.-Westf. Techn. Hochschule Aachen
52056 Aachen, Germany

-- The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is
   probably the day they start making vacuum cleaners. --