Post by Nick Nort » Mon, 09 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I am running Redhat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32).  I can load the module
for my SCSI card after the system has booted by using a command such as
"insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,11,7" ("modprobe aha152x" also works and
alias and options are set in /etc/conf.modules).  What I want to do is
get the system to load this module, with these options, by itself every
time I boot Linux.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks,
Nick

Post by tim » Tue, 10 Mar 1998 04:00:00

You can pass aha152x=0x140,11,7 to the kernel at boot time via
/etc/lilo.conf.  Modular kernels in an era where 8MB physmem model is
considered minimal seems a bit strange sometimes.

Quote:> I am running Redhat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32).  I can load the module

Post by Pat Thoyt » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I am running Redhat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32).  I can load the module
> for my SCSI card after the system has booted by using a command such as
> "insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,11,7" ("modprobe aha152x" also works and
> alias and options are set in /etc/conf.modules).  What I want to do is
> get the system to load this module, with these options, by itself every
> time I boot Linux.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> Thanks,
> Nick

Put the command in one of your /etc/rc.d/ files somewhere after
depmod has run, but before you want to use any SCSI devices.

Alternatively compile your kernel with kerneld (the module auto-
loader) and read the modprobe manual pages to find out how to
have options passed automatically. -- err actually-- it looks like
you have that bit.

The SCSI host adapter driver should get loaded whenever a SCSI
driver is loaded. However, I think you have to alias scsi_hostadapter
to the name of your device. You need to check this but I think it's
in /etc/conf.modules:

alias scsi_hostadapter aha52x
options aha52x ..........

--
Pat Thoyts                                Remove anti-spam to reply.
PGP Key at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/1661/resume.html

Post by Prashant Inam » Wed, 11 Mar 1998 04:00:00

: I am running Redhat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32).  I can load the module
: for my SCSI card after the system has booted by using a command such as
: "insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,11,7" ("modprobe aha152x" also works and
: alias and options are set in /etc/conf.modules).  What I want to do is
: get the system to load this module, with these options, by itself every
: time I boot Linux.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
: Thanks,
: Nick

Try looking at the system startup scripts somewhere in /etc/rc.d/init.d/.
You want to add your insmod line in one of these scripts, init.local
is prob a good place.
More detailed info should be in the System Administrators Guide .
Check in The Linux Documentation Project:
http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

  >> I am running Redhat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32).  I can load the module
  >> for my SCSI card after the system has booted by using a command such as
  >> "insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,11,7" ("modprobe aha152x" also works and
  >> alias and options are set in /etc/conf.modules).  What I want to do is
  >> get the system to load this module, with these options, by itself every
  >> time I boot Linux.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

  tim> You can pass aha152x=0x140,11,7 to the kernel at boot time via
  tim> /etc/lilo.conf.  Modular kernels in an era where 8MB physmem model is
  tim> considered minimal seems a bit strange sometimes.

But the poster indicated that he was using modules.  Therefore this
kernel command line will have no effect whatsoever.

Post by James Youngma » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

  Nick> I am running Redhat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32).  I can load the module
  Nick> for my SCSI card after the system has booted by using a command such as
  Nick> "insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,11,7" ("modprobe aha152x" also works and
  Nick> alias and options are set in /etc/conf.modules).  What I want to do is
  Nick> get the system to load this module, with these options, by itself every
  Nick> time I boot Linux.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Put this in /etc/conf.modules:-

alias scsi_hostadapter aha152x
options aha152x aha152x=0x140,11,7

You could optionally rebuild your initrd I suppose.   I don't think
that is actually mandatory though.

Post by Sjoerd Kro » Sun, 15 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> I am running Redhat Linux 5.0 (kernel 2.0.32).  I can load the module
> for my SCSI card after the system has booted by using a command such as
> "insmod aha152x aha152x=0x140,11,7" ("modprobe aha152x" also works and
> alias and options are set in /etc/conf.modules).  What I want to do is
> get the system to load this module, with these options, by itself every
> time I boot Linux.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?
> Thanks,
> Nick

In Slackware there's a script /etc/rc.d/rc.modules for this. It's
activated by rc.S

Greetings,
       Sjoerd

| World Wide Web : http://web.inter.NL.net/users/S.Krol |
Fudd's First Law of Opposition:
        Push something hard enough and it will fall over.

1. Automatically loading modules at boot time

For some reason my system won't successfully load the PPP module (which
it did before) successfully anymore.  When I do it manually I have to
first load the slhc module.  How can I get the kernel to load these
modules in the correct order during boot time?

My guess is that the kernel isn't loading slhc at all since I still have
to do this to get the PPP module working.  Also, the same problem is
happening with my sound modules (kernel reports that there are all of
these unresolved symbols -- the same error I get when I try to load PPP
before slhc).

Thanks for all of your help!
Brian

2. I NEED MAJOR HELP!

3. RFI - loading modules at boot-time

4. Sony CDU55S CD-ROM

6. NEW VI LOVERS HOME PAGE!

7. How to load sound modules at boot time?

8. FASTEST operating system in America!!!

9. Making Linux multiboot capable and grub loading kernel modules at boot time.

10. Help: Loading AHA1542 module @ boot time

12. module loading failure at boot time. (depmod)

13. HELP PLEASE, loading network card driver as module at boot time in Mandrake 7