What no parallel port (please help Im desperate)

What no parallel port (please help Im desperate)

Post by Pete » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

What ever I try I just can get linux to probe for my parallel port.
I use insmod ppa to install module for my Zip drive.
It probes for three and a serial at the correct addresses, no luck.
My proc/ioports does not list any ports or anything else at 03bc-03
When I insmod lp I receive the message driver configured but no interface
detected.

Please Please help.

Thanks

Pete.

PS. I am using a gateway 9100 laptop.

1. Parallel port desperate SOS...

Hi all,
I am working on a parallel port driver for an ADSP chip.Recently, i
had
written the driver directly interacting with the hardware.Then, i
thought
it would be more reliable to write the driver on the parallel port
(parport)
subsystem.I am getting a unique "I/O error" every time i perform a
read call.
I have set my parallel port in EPP 1.9 mode in the BIOS setup.Here is
the
read code in the driver:

static ssize_t epp_read(struct file * filp, char * user_buf,
                             size_t length, loff_t * ppos)
{
  int count=0,i,err;
  struct timeval t1,t2;
  float sec;
  int rate;

  unsigned int minor = MINOR(filp->f_dentry->d_inode->i_rdev);

  if (length>=(1<<order)*PAGE_SIZE-4*sizeof(long))
  {
    printk("\n An Overflowing Request\n");
    return -ENOMEM;
  }
  if (parport_claim_or_block(Device[0])<0)
   {
     printk("\nError in claiming the device");
     return -EAGAIN;
   }

  memset(Buffer,0,PAGE_SIZE*(1<<order));
  t1=xtime;
  if ((count=Device[0]->port->ops->epp_read_data(Device[0]->port,Buffer+4*sizeof(long),length,PARPORT_EPP_FAST))<0)
   {  printk("Error in read\n");
      parport_release(Device[0]);
      return count;
   }
  t2=xtime;
  parport_release(Device[0]);

  *(Buffer+count+4*sizeof(long))='\0';

  *((long*)Buffer)=t2.tv_sec;
  *((long*)Buffer+1)=t2.tv_usec;
  *((long*)Buffer+2)=t1.tv_sec;
  *((long*)Buffer+3)=t1.tv_usec;

   printk("\n<1> %ld %ld %ld %ld
\n",t2.tv_sec,t2.tv_usec,t1.tv_sec,t1.tv_usec);
   if (copy_to_user(user_buf,Buffer,count))
   {
      printk("<1> Error in copying to user space \n");
      return -EFAULT;
   }
   return count;

This is a part of the dmesg :

Error in read

I have given full permissions for the /dev/para0 device(the parallel
port)
also.Before loading this driver,i have done 'modprobe parport' and
loaded
the parport subsytem also.Also after i do a rmmod 'mymodule',i get
this
message on doing modprobe -r parport:
                    parport:Device or resource busy
What could be the problem in reading the port successfully?
Thanks in advance,
Prakash

2. SCSI Spin-Down?

3. please help: zip and printer sharing parallel port

4. linux on PMAC6100

5. parallel port printer and parallel port superdisk

6. Install on Laptop from Desktop??

7. Multiple parallel ports/IRQ sharing/non-use of IRQ by parallel ports?

8. PHP/CGI question

9. Help, please: CD-ROM on parallel port

10. Im desperate for new internet access :)

11. PLEASE help a newbie with a parallel port problem

12. Need help porting DOS app that uses parallel port

13. Need help porting DOS app that uses parallel port (Part II)