Cyrix 586 120

Post by Jason Naught » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

                I've just heard of a Cyrix 586 120 CPU + Motherboard which
was selling for $345 Canadian.  I am was quite suspicious when the
same intel product + motherboard goes at about 3 times the price.  I
have spoken to a few people which state that it has some
compatibility problems with some software packages.  Yet all this was
hear-say and none experienced it directly.  Has anyone tested this
board with Linux?  If you have please post your results as I believe
that all would be interested...

                                Cheers
                                                Jason Naughton

Cyrix 586 120

Post by Joel Squi » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Jason> Hi all, I've just heard of a Cyrix 586 120 CPU + Motherboard
Jason> which was selling for $345 Canadian.  I am was quite suspicious
Jason> when the same intel product + motherboard goes at about 3 times
Jason> the price.  I have spoken to a few people which state that it
Jason> has some compatibility problems with some software packages.
Jason> Yet all this was hear-say and none experienced it directly.
Jason> Has anyone tested this board with Linux?  If you have please
Jason> post your results as I believe that all would be interested...

There aren't any compatability problems that I've found. However, the
5x86 isn't comparable with a Pentium 120, as it seems you're trying to
do. It's speed is roughly that of a P90, with P60 floating
performance. Hence the price difference.

--

                      .oO finger for PGP key Oo.

1. Cyrix 586/120 and Linux

I just bought one of these for my home machine. My home
machine is a recent PCI 486 motherboard, and I noticed it
supported the Cyrix M1. I was going to buy the M1 586/100,
but I noticed that the 120MHz version was out, so I bought
that instead. As my machine is a quad boot machine (Win95,
OS/2, Linux and NT) this was risky, but I can report success
for Win95, OS/2 and Linux. NT is sulking for other reasons.

I use an Intel Neptune P90 motherboard machine at work, and
I thought you might all be interested to know not only that
Linux is happy with the Cyrix, but how my P90 compares in
performance terms with the Cyrix. I use Norton Utilities
si to measure and the results are quite surprising. SI
reported a CPU benchmark of 224 for the 486 motherboard
containing the Cyrix, the Intel P90 scored 178 on the same
test.

Apparently the Cyrix 586/120 is clock tripled so I am
using the motherboard clock rate of 40MHz.

I'm pleased, and very in-pocket.

Paul Ingram.
--
Paul Ingram Group Ltd

Godalming                      voice: +44 1483 424424
Surrey, UK                       fax: +44 1483 419419

2. diald with EQL load balancing?

3. Cyrix 586/120, Bogomips?

4. Best Linux Book

5. Cyrix 586-120 --> 48.27 BogoMips ??

6. How do I kill LILO?

7. Cyrix 586-120 and RHat 6.0

8. BUILD YOUR OWN C`A.B,L,E B,O`X...FREE C`A.B,L.E`.... 7581

9. Which to buy - Cyrix 120+/Pentium 120

10. is my new Cyrix 586 killing my hard drive ?

11. Cyrix 6x86 should be treated as 486/586?

12. Cyrix 586 chips a problem?

13. Acer Model 355 w/Cyrix 586 hangs 5 minutes after boot