printing don't work - I did a mistake after installing CUPS

printing don't work - I did a mistake after installing CUPS

Post by Pedro Amaral Cout » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 05:03:06

I installed CUPS from source code ( from http://www.cups.org/ ) and some
files were saved over existing files ...

now when I try to print a text/image file ( Gnome / KDE ), pops an error :
/usr/bin/lpr -P 'impressora' '-#1' '/tmp/kde-pacmanpt/kdeprint_HEo5Adr' : a
lpr: unable to print file: client-error-not-found

I tried to configure the printer (Canon BJC-2100), but it stills the same.
I also tried to install gimp_print, but it's not working.
The printing test doesn't work.

I can't install rpm CUPS files, because lpr conflicts with cups-1.1.14-0 and
LPRng conflicts with cups-1.1.14-0.

Do you think I need to reinstall file(s) ( LPR / LPD ) ?
Where can I find these files ?

I have Red Hat 7.3 .

Post by spaml.. » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 05:00:52

Quote:> I installed CUPS from source code ( from http://www.cups.org/ ) and some
> files were saved over existing files ...

Doesn't RedHat 7.3 have CUPS? Can't you reinstall (force) that from
the RPMs?

Quote:> Do you think I need to reinstall file(s) ( LPR / LPD ) ?

I would guess that some configuration files (which redhat may
have pre-configured) got replaced. I don't use CUPS ... let me
see ... RH 7.2 ... /etc/printcap says it gets recreated each
time (startup script) ... using "locate cups" shows a directory
with a perl script for the cups filter (/usr/lib/cups/filter/).

You can't get redhat to configure it (printconf)?

printing don't work - I did a mistake after installing CUPS

Post by Pedro Amaral Cout » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 22:28:12

I din't know RedHat have CUPS!

I tried "printconf" and it doesn't exist ...

I'm looking for LPR and LPD rmp files, but I don't know where they are!
I got 3 Red Hat cds ... do you know what file should I look for ?

( Sorry if I don't post any anwser for a week ... I'll be gone for vacations
)

printing don't work - I did a mistake after installing CUPS

Post by spaml.. » Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:54:42

Quote:> I'm looking for LPR and LPD rmp files, but I don't know where they are!
> I got 3 Red Hat cds ... do you know what file should I look for ?

Let me check ... the "rpm -q -f path/filename" tells me what RPM I used
installed a particular file. I have /usr/bin/lpr so

rpm -q -f /usr/bin/lpr

tells me that came from

 LPRng-3.7.4-28

(so look for "LPRng-3.7.4-28....rpm)

rpm -q -f /usr/sbin/lpd

tells me that also came from

 LPRng-3.7.4-28

(redhat 7.2)

rpm -q -f /usr/lib/cups

tells me that came from

 foomatic-1.1-0.20010905.1

"locate foomatic"
shows lots of documentation files.

(your version numbers are probably different
 since I have RH 7.2)

printing don't work - I did a mistake after installing CUPS

Post by Dave Berntso » Wed, 14 Aug 2002 11:46:43

Quote:>I din't know RedHat have CUPS!

>I tried "printconf" and it doesn't exist ...

>I'm looking for LPR and LPD rmp files, but I don't know where they are!
>I got 3 Red Hat cds ... do you know what file should I look for ?

>( Sorry if I don't post any anwser for a week ... I'll be gone for vacations
>)

Well, if you're going to be gone for a week, I guess there is no hurry about this,
but, since I am working on this same business myself, I will at least point out
that CUPS and Gimp-Print don't want to coexist with some of the default printer
software.  In other words, you should remove the packages:
printconf-gui
printconf
LPRng
if you find that they are installed.
With 7.3, it should be easy, because cups is already on your installation cd's.
Then you should be able to d/l the Gimp-Print tarball and install it with CUPS
support.
There is still the question of hardware compatibility.  You have to check at some
website to see if your printer has good support for the Gimp-print with cups
drivers. Your printer appears to be "mostly" supported, which is better than
"partly", or "not at all", but not as good as "completely".  Most of all, you
should go to Daniele Berti's website:
http://space.tin.it/computer/wvtberti/linux/stp_driver/gs_stp.htm#bui...

where you will get a detailed instructions how to install and configure gimp-print
with cups.  Part of the web site is for using the Ghostscript approach, but Berti
strongly advocates that you ignore that approach and concentrate on CUPS +
Gimp=Print.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but my method for uninstalling packages is to
log in as myself (regular user login), startx, and then put the RH installation cd
in the tray (you may have to go through them all to find everything).  Hopefully,
the package manager will start automatically and you can see which packages you
have installed, and which ones are not installed (KDE's package manager is very
easy to understand).  If you are like me, you have KDE desktop as user, and Gnome
desktop as root.  If you have it the other way around, log in as root, because the
KDE package manager is easier (at least, I think so).  Just click on the package
you want to install (or uninstall), click the install (or uninstall) button,
uncheck all the options (except check dependencies).  If you are logged in as a
user, it will ask for your password, then it will install it (or uninstall it).

In my own case, I am using RH 7.2 and I  d/l the CUPS rpm's (3 of them), plus the
Gimp-Print tarball.  I had to uninstall the old printer packages first, and then
install the CUPS rpm's.  I moved the Gimp-Print tarball to /tmp and unpacked it.
But when I ran:
./configure --with-cups --with-user-guide --with-samples, the procedure choked and
quit with something like this:
no acceptable cc in $PATH
I double checked my libs and devels, and added a couple that looked important.
Then I ran the ./configure thing again, and I got past the "no acceptable cc"
problem, but it choked and quit with something like this:
no output from lex...giving up.
Yesterday, I bought 7.3, so I'll see if I can get any further using the newer
updated libs, etc.  I have an Epson C-80 which is supposed to work well with this
set-up.  My kid likes The Gimp, so I want to make a print plug-in for him.  If you
don't have The Gimp installed, you can still use Gimp-Print, but you have to
specify it (with an option) when you are making the software:
./configure --with-cups --without gimp --with-user-guide --with-samples
It's all in Berti's page:
http://space.tin.it/computer/wvtberti/linux/stp_driver/gs_stp.htm#bui...

1. KDE3: printmanger and cups don't work

After installing KDE3 on my Suse7.1-system I got heaps of problems, (kdm doesn't
work anymore, but hey, I still can type startx) but the most annoying at the
moment is I can't print anymore from kde-apps.

When I try to start the printmanager I get:
There was an error loading kdeprint_cups.

.X.err says:
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: undefined symbol: init_kcm_printmgr
kdecore (KLibLoader): WARNING: KLibrary: The library kcm_printmgr does not offer
an init_kcm_printmgr function

Many thanks in advance
--
Meije O.
Utrecht

2. New kernel error/warning? (2.4.21-pre7)

3. CUPS printing test works but lpr doesn't !

4. Setting CMOS time under Linux

5. NTFS/HPFS install bug not fixed yet...updated install disks still don't work:-(

6. Able to ping PDC from Unix box, but not BDC...PLEASE I NEED THE HELP

7. alias to print working directory (pwd) when doing 'cd'

8. Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory ???

9. No cups printing system in Control Center's Printing Manager

10. I install linux, but adduser don't work and can't find setup

11. serial ports work with DOS but don't probe with FreeBSD 2.2.2

12. What am I doing wrong here (UNIX-domain sockets don't work)?

13. DOS, Linux and SCSI don't work