Air Filters: making your own...

Post by Ray Ead » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I'm planning on getting a bunch of fairly vented cases.  I saw some
bulk filter material designed for home AC/Heating floor vents which
looked about right.  I'm thinking of covering the holes in the
computer case with this kind of material to keep dust out.

Has anyone had good experiences making homemade air filters.
My concern of course is 1) Heat, and also 2) chemical residue
from the filter.

--

  reads.vcf
< 1K Download

Air Filters: making your own...

Post by Phil Houstou » Thu, 21 Jan 1999 23:43:00

> I'm planning on getting a bunch of fairly vented cases.  I saw some
> bulk filter material designed for home AC/Heating floor vents which
> looked about right.  I'm thinking of covering the holes in the
> computer case with this kind of material to keep dust out.

> Has anyone had good experiences making homemade air filters.
> My concern of course is 1) Heat, and also 2) chemical residue
> from the filter.

> --

>     ---------------------------------------------------------------

I've done just that, used the filters (they come pre-cut and bundled)
for my heating ducts and they work splendidly. I have two case fans
blowing INTO the case to cool internal SCSI drives and an overclocked
CPU. Without those filters, I took the case off after a week of running
and everything was coated with a fine, almost talcum powder-like,
residue that was a * to get off (maybe says more about the state of
our housekeeping?). I've only put one in front of each case fan (i.e.
haven't covered ALL the holes in the case) and it has cut down on the
dust markedly. It doesn't seem to affect the heat to any measurable
degree either. The carton doesn't provide a list of ingredients, so I
don't even know what chemicals might be contained in the filters.

--

Phil Houstoun            Voice: (613) 991-7173