ST Labs/Silicon Image ATA Controller

Post by Natma » Thu, 06 Feb 2003 14:23:34

My local retailer has an ATA133 Controller with the brand name ST Labs.
They let me browse through the "user manual" (if you can call it that)
briefly, and I found out that it's based on a Silicon Image chipset, but it
doesn't say which chipset it uses.  Of course, it says that it only supports
M$.

I'm thinking about buying this card, and I'm wondering if anyone has had any
luck with it in linux.  Basically, I'm looking to use it with 2 ATA133
drives, no RAID, with the 2.4.20 kernel, and get decent performance and no
bugs (panics, freezing, etc).  It would be going into an older P3 box, so
I'm not sure that I want to spend the extra cash to by a Promise card, but I
do need something since my on-board controllers are acting up.

I checked linux-ide.org, and it looks like at least one chipset from Silicon
Image is supported... but I don't know what exact chipset this card has.

I know this is a bit vague, but has anyone had any good or bad experiences
with this card?  Or maybe with Silicon Image chipsets in general?

Great thanks,

Nathan

ST Labs/Silicon Image ATA Controller

Post by Lars Ljungber » Sat, 08 Feb 2003 22:15:03

Hi, it's CMD680. Marked SiI but still a CMD. Works after some problems (with
compilation) on my Debian with 2.4.20 kernel! I had problems with not being
able to use two disks on one port, but with another ide (UDMA-100) cable,
they both worked fine!
/Lars

Quote:> My local retailer has an ATA133 Controller with the brand name ST Labs.